How Should I Finish This? (Long)

Decorating By Tita9499 Updated 19 Jul 2009 , 3:25am by Tita9499

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 6:26pm
post #1 of 15

Here's the deal, mom of bday girl is a friend. Asked if I could do a Hannah Montana themed cake.

Said she definitely wanted the logo and b-day girl's name. Check.

Didn't want "Happy Birthday" because she's getting a sign to put above bday cake table (she's doing 1 party for all three DD's). Check.

So, here's where I'm kind of hittin' a brick wall:

Mom wants Hannah's wig and microphone on the cake too...did I mention this is only a 6"? I know it'll be too busy if I put that on there.

Since mom is only paying for ingredients, I can do whatever I want (whether or not she knows that is a non-issue). So I'm standing back looking at it and trying to figure out which I should add. I was thinking maybe a microphone a little taller than the name in the background (on a slant) and maybe a star border on the bottom, but will that be too busy as well?

Suggestions are greatly appreciated and NEEDED!! This is for Saturday.
LL

14 replies
pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 6:35pm
post #2 of 15

I'd put a microphone maybe on the board at the bottom of the cake. Can you put some stars on wires on the top?

Spills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spills Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 6:45pm
post #3 of 15

I agree...if you lay a microphone down on the right side of the cake with the top of the mic towards the logo, I think that'd finish it well. And I like the idea of stars out the top on wires as well...good thoughts.

texasseegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texasseegirl Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 6:48pm
post #4 of 15

I agree with Patti on her suggestions - even if it is edible, a wig would be a bit strange and would definitley crowd the cake. Mic and stars all the way! thumbs_up.gif

Babarooskie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babarooskie Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 7:00pm
post #5 of 15

I agree- microphone on the bottom on the board.
You can also consider music notes instead of stars...just a suggestion icon_smile.gif

Good Luck! The cake looks awesome already...

Tita9499 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 7:07pm
post #6 of 15

Ok, question regarding the mic idea. Put it to the right or going up and "behind" the logo? I hope the question makes sense.

Would music notes and stars be too much?

favrtdtr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
favrtdtr Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 8:36pm
post #7 of 15

i think the microphone behind the logo would be cool and yes I think stars and music notes would make it too busy - but that's just me

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 9:41pm
post #8 of 15

I don't think the wig and mic are needed. I think the musical notes and stars would be CUTE!! Wig sounds really gross, picture the guests mouth wide open, tongue out, pinching all in their mouths trying to find the hair they are eating, while gagging. If you do a mic, just laying it on top of the cake or on the board would be cute. NO WIG!! GAG!!
And DH sttanding right behind me agrees on everything!

Tita9499 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 9:56pm
post #9 of 15

Not a real wig silly! LOL! (thanks for making me laugh).

I was going to use a clay gun to make teeny-tiny ropes and make a wig out of fondant. BUT! Just thinking about that and the fact that have to do her other 2 DD's cakes is making it easier to leave it out (I was going to anyway). So I'm going with the microphone in the background of the Hannah Montana logo and stars with gold luster dust (and maybe some disco dust) shooting out of the top (don't have music note cutters, and I ain't about to make 'em).

So no borders?

Annabakescakes Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 10:09pm
post #10 of 15

I think even a fake wig would be dumb, and maybe you could pull it off okay, but we are talking about a tiny cake! Knowing when to quit is an artform that is under rated. Just filling things with stuff makes even the most well made things look messy!
Definately not a shell border, maybe beads? I personally don't think it needs one, but someone else might think of something fabulous! (Sorry, I'm not super creative, but I can sure copy off people!)

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 5:23pm
post #11 of 15

I say if the mom wants a wig on it, put a wig on it. She's the customer.

Annabakescakes Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 6:16pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tita9499

Here's the deal, mom of bday girl is a friend. Asked if I could do a Hannah Montana themed cake........
Since mom is only paying for ingredients, I can do whatever I want (whether or not she knows that is a non-issue). ........ but will that be too busy as well?

Sometimes as cake artists, it is our duty to preserve our reputation from cake muggles who don't know when to quit with all the decorations, plus she is only paying for ingredients, not all the time, and it is already a super cute cake, so what is the big deal? (I know a fabulous tattoo artist who makes $150 dolars an hour and refuses tattoos if he thinks they are dumb.) I think that "the customer is always right " mentality is BS because it makes people in the service industry look like chumps, and ends up costing us extra time. Time is money!

Tita9499 Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 6:38pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcake

I say if the mom wants a wig on it, put a wig on it. She's the customer.

She's not a "paying customer" per se. She is paying for just the indgredients to make the cake and fondant, no frills, no labor, no supplies. She jumped at the opportunity for me to make her DD's cake for ingredients so that means she didn't pay to demand anything. She's getting a practice cake as far as I'm concerned.

When I can charge my customers like I should, then I'll put on a cake whatever they want (within reason).

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 3:14am
post #14 of 15

I personally wouldn't change a thing because I love it that way. If she wan't a microphone, maybe you can put a small one infront--although it would block the name.

Tita9499 Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 3:25am
post #15 of 15

Gonna post photos if anyone's interested in my pics. I don't feel like resizing them. I just got back from the party. They (mom and BDay girl) loved it!
Thank you ALL so much for your tips, I couldn't have done it without you...I'm exhausted, going to bed!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%