Cake Decorating School?

Decorating By PandaGrrrl Updated 19 Jul 2009 , 12:40am by cylstrial

PandaGrrrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PandaGrrrl Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all, I apologize if this question has been asked elsewhere (probably many times) but I didn't really see anything and I promise I looked! I'm looking into cake decorating programs and so far it appears that Wilton offers the most instruction for the $. I'm basically a newbie who experiments at home but would like to eventually decorate for a bakery. Has anyone been through the Wilton Master's program or have any info on any other decorating school? I've already been to art school so I'm looking for a program that's long on teaching techniques and short on attitude and snottiness. I live in Seattle and will travel for the right instruction. Thanks so much for any feedback and for all the many informative posts and awesome cake pics on this site. Have a great day!

3 replies
Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 8:54pm
post #2 of 4

If you want to work for a bakery, I'd ask the bakery what they require. They may not use too much of "the Wilton way", but would rather train you to do it "their way". The experience you'd gain from your paid training time would save you much time that's perhaps wasted or unnecessary at classes that you have to pay to take.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 3:15am
post #3 of 4

I've taken many of the classes at Wilton, including the Masters. I thoroughly enjoyed every class and learned sooooo much--from the instructors as well as from my classmates. I highly recommend it.

As for the "Wilton Way"--it's a jumping off point that you use to evolve, practice, and adapt--you know, you gotta start somewhere--and Wilton started most of it over 80 years ago.

I hope you get the chance to go.

Rae

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 12:40am
post #4 of 4

I took the Wilton classes at Michael's and really enjoyed them. I'm hoping to take some classes from other people as they come to a nearby state.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%