Fountains - Water Or Soda?

Decorating By mommabuda Updated 18 Jul 2009 , 11:19pm by indydebi

mommabuda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabuda Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:17pm
post #1 of 18

I've only made one cake with a fountain and when I delivered it to the venue, I filled it with water. The bartender told me that next time I should use something like sparkling water or club soda? I'm not sure what he said exactly (this was about 2 years ago). Whatever it was, he said would clean it out and not leave the lime build up behind like water does. What do you put in the fountain?

17 replies
mommabuda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabuda Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 6:41pm
post #2 of 18

anyone???

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 8:31pm
post #3 of 18

You're suppose to use distilled water.

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 8:43pm
post #4 of 18

Interesting my first ever fountain cake is on August 1st and never thought about it.
Thanks great post

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 2:39am
post #5 of 18

I made my first fountain cake 30 years ago and I'm delivering a fountain cake tomorrow. I've always used water. Plain water out of the tap.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 2:48am
post #6 of 18

People still use fountains?

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 2:55am
post #7 of 18

I use distilled water, mainly because bottled water is easier to handle in a large venue where the nearest water source might be far away from the cake.
Yes, fountains are making a come back. I have had 3 requests this year. Also, a few drops of food coloring in the water, makes the water very visible.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 3:04am
post #8 of 18

LKing, where are you in KY?

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 3:15am
post #9 of 18

I am in Woodburn, KY about 10 miles north of the TN line and just about 12 miles south of Bowling Green. Home baker, getting a good start!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 5:35am
post #10 of 18

water

Unlimited Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 8:41am
post #11 of 18

Although the directions that come with the fountains suggest to use distilled water, I probably only did so once! I've used tap water in all 7 of my fountains (well, except for the one still sealed in the box) and I've never ruined any of them. I believe the "suggestion" is a disclaimer or to prevent tiny tap water particles or lime buildup from eventually clogging up the pump.

Jen80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen80 Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 9:04am
post #12 of 18

Do you sell them with the cake or do people give them back? Do they all come with lights? I only just heard about these yesterday and I love them already. I think they'd be great not only with wedding cakes but on a fairy, princess or castle cake. Can't believe they've been around for years. I know they'd be designed not to, but is there any chance at all they would splash on the cake? Sorry about all the questions but I'm really excited about these.

Unlimited Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 9:56am
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen80

Do you sell them with the cake or do people give them back? Do they all come with lights? I only just heard about these yesterday and I love them already. I think they'd be great not only with wedding cakes but on a fairy, princess or castle cake. Can't believe they've been around for years. I know they'd be designed not to, but is there any chance at all they would splash on the cake? Sorry about all the questions but I'm really excited about these.

People probably wouldn't give them back if there was no incentive... you charge a deposit which is refunded when the items are returned in the same condition. They all come with lights. (they're so old and have been around FOREVER... wish there was something really different or more current--guess I like change!)

Yes, they splash a bit, but not on the cake... usually just on the fountain plate since the cake is usually above the fountain.

Jen80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen80 Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 10:24am
post #14 of 18

Thank you Unlimited.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 3:23pm
post #15 of 18

There are adjustments you can make with them so the flow is not as hard (so it doesn't splash on the cake) I have 2 different stands I use with mine, one is the old faithful wilton pillars (white) and the other is a clear lexan octagon stand - which is a more modern look if you want to still use the fountain. I have several brides a year who want to use them.....and if you set it on a big mirror - it really is a pretty effect.

indydebi Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 3:55pm
post #16 of 18

If you're getting a lot of splashing, you probably don't have enough water in the fountain. It should have enough in it to cause it to flow smooth, not struggle to get enough to the top and spit it out over the edge. Like a chocolate fountain, it should be plenty full for a smooth flow.

I started making cakes in the late 70's and fountains/stairs cakes were all the rage. Made one about every weekend for a couple of years.

Be sure to have or arrange to have plenty of greenery to put around the base. These are really ugly just sitting there with "the guts" all exposed. But with greenery around the base and the light showing thru, it looks really nice.

I had only one bride in 30 years surprised that she had to give it back. My first question to her was, "What would you even use it for after the wedding?" icon_confused.gif Plus when I told her she'd have to pay me $60 bucks for it to reimburse me for the cost, she dropped the idea.

Unlimited Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 5:00pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

If you're getting a lot of splashing, you probably don't have enough water in the fountain.

If you don't have enough water in the fountain, it doesn't work... there's a bobber that needs to float or it shuts off. I always over fill it to allow for evaporation or else you'll get lots of calls from the bride or the venue asking why the fountain doesn't work!

Since I love making roses, I sometimes make a rose ring to hide the fountain base (I start with wet paper towels to get the height, ice it, and stick two or three rows of roses around it).

Another option that looks nice is using the white filigree fountain ring with the points of the triangles facing down so that you can place three roses in between each empty triangle space. It's tricky to stack three in a pyramid while they're facing outward, but it works if you apply enough icing with a spatula on the back of them in an upward motion reaching to the plastic part and the leaves also help to keep 'em stuck in place.

indydebi Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 11:19pm
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

If you're getting a lot of splashing, you probably don't have enough water in the fountain.

If you don't have enough water in the fountain, it doesn't work...

You are correct! I knew what I meant but didn't say it right. Sometimes just 1/4 cup of water can make all the difference in a splattery flow and a good even flow. But yes, if there isn't enough water to even get to the top, it will make a big loud noise and not work at all.

I just posted the pic of my fountain cake I delivered today http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1417180 . Giving the bride the cascading roses look with pillars between the tiers was a challenge, but I think I did it ok. If you check my Flickr site (link in signature), I've posted pics of the plain cake with no roses, the cake with plain water and the cake with red water. It's a great progression that shows how each attribute changes the look of the cake. I plan to print those pics on one page to show a bride how it's the details that make the difference!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%