Need Help With Cream Cheese Frosting Please.

Decorating By katwomen1up Updated 17 Jul 2009 , 2:24am by katwomen1up

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 3:21am
post #1 of 13

I made cream cheese frosting, 8 oz of butter and cream cheese plus PS. It's like putting soup on the cake. Well maybe not soup but it's so thin. I added more PS and doesn't really help. This is my first time using cream cheese frosting, is this how it is? I have to keep putting it back in the fridge to smooth it. Is there a better recipe, should I cut back on the butter?

12 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 9:02am
post #2 of 13

designmeacake.com has a great recipe.

katwomen1up Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 11:02am
post #3 of 13

Thank you for answering RylanTy, I will try the recipe this morning

tamiscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamiscakes Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 11:39am
post #4 of 13

i have one that is great ....crust nicely and can be smoothed with a paper towel and has great flavor.
1/2 c. butter soft
1/4 c. crisco ( i use walmart brand instead)
8 oz. cream cheese
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. butter flavoring
2 lbs. powdered sugar
1/4 tsp. salt.
mix everything but p. sugar together then slowly add the p. sugar beat on low speed till mixed and then high speed for about 4 min.

you can easily pipe with this also it is a great frosting!

Good luck Tami

Rylan Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:13pm
post #5 of 13

No problem. It's a great recipe. I actually choose it over regular buttercream.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:24pm
post #6 of 13

Did you use no-fat or low-fat cream cheese? No-fat doesn't work at all for me. Reduced fat is a little thicker and better for frosting, but FULL FAT cream cheese works the best for me.

jdelaney81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelaney81 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:28pm
post #7 of 13

Also, make sure your butter is softened, not melted. That makes a big difference with the texture.

luciaburnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luciaburnett Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:44pm
post #8 of 13

I'm at work so can't give the exact measurments, but the cream cheese frosting recipe I inherited with my grandmothers carrot cake recipe is essentially the same as the Wilton recipe with the addition of coconut. If I'm casually icing the cake I just fold in the cocunut, but if I want to pipe the frosting I'll run it through the blender so it's nice and smooth.

luciaburnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luciaburnett Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:46pm
post #9 of 13

I'm at work so can't give the exact measurments, but the cream cheese frosting recipe I inherited with my grandmothers carrot cake recipe is essentially the same as the Wilton recipe with the addition of coconut. If I'm casually icing the cake I just fold in the cocunut, but if I want to pipe the frosting I'll run it through the blender so it's nice and smooth.

katwomen1up Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 7:25pm
post #10 of 13

Thanks everyone, I made it this morning. I am having a real tough time with it. Not used to working with such soft frosting. It's taken me all day. It doesn't help that it's going on a red velvet cake either. What a mess, cant wait until I'm done. I have to refrigerate it still in order to get it smooth. Ugh...

tamiscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamiscakes Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 10:04pm
post #11 of 13

what recipe did you go with? i have never had a problem of it not being thick enough with the one i gave you.
sorry your having problems. dont know where you live but humidity might be a problem for you today.

Rylan Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 11:52pm
post #12 of 13

The cream cheese buttercream from designmeacake.com is very similar to regular buttercream--although it crusts longer. I've never had a problem with it.

katwomen1up Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 2:24am
post #13 of 13

No it wasn't the frosting, I believe it was the humidity. I also kept having blow outs and I don't have that problem except today and a couple weeks ago. I did use the one from design me a cake. Thanks for all your help everyone. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%