Piping Dots?

Decorating By sugarmamma03 Updated 5 Aug 2009 , 6:41am by jewelzbakescakes

sugarmamma03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarmamma03 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:37am
post #1 of 5

How do I evenly space out dots on a cake? I want to pipe single dots on the side of a square cake. I know that you can buy impression mats, but I don't have one and am wondering if there is another way to do this. Do I just eyeball it?
Thanks!

4 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 5:52am
post #2 of 5

Mark it with a toothpick. First, mark in quarters, then divide the quarters in half and keep dividing the spaces. You can also wrap a strip of wax paper around the circumference (exactly), take it off and fold it numerous of times. The folds will be your guide.

Hope I didn't confuse you.

sugarmamma03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarmamma03 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 7:09pm
post #3 of 5

THanks so much, thats a great idea.

forthwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forthwife Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 8:07pm
post #4 of 5

I had this same question several months ago. My MOST favorite response was to print an image using MS publisher, word or whatever you use and then wrap it around the cake and poke the dots with a toothpick. Then go back in and pipe the dots. Good luck!!

jewelzbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelzbakescakes Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 6:41am
post #5 of 5

Sugarmamma03, how did this turn out for you?
I can't find a dot impression mat for under $35 so I want to do it myself. It's for a wedding cake at the end of the month. I like the idea of printing out an image and using a toothpick but I'm not sure how to create the image...any help would be appreciated!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%