Tailored Tier Look Cake How Do I?

Decorating By havingfun Updated 22 Jul 2009 , 8:30pm by havingfun

havingfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havingfun Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 6:07pm
post #1 of 7

I need to make a cake that has the llok of the Wilton Tailored Tiers cake. I do not want the boards to show, so I was thinking of using styrofoam in between. The cake will be 10,8, and 6. Sizes of styrofoam, 6 between the 10 and 8, and 4 between the 8 and 6. My biggest question I guess is where would I dowel and does this sould like it will work? Do I dowel the 10, but the separator (cake board cut to size of styrofoam, covered in ribbon - cake board on each side of styrofoam), set 8 on top, dowel that cake, separator, 6. or dowel through the styrofoam also????

6 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 2:58am
post #2 of 7

When I googled Wilton tailored tiers cake images, this Wilton tall tier cake stand also came up:
(Seems like it would work.)

http://tinyurl.com/nbk4no

Wilton instructions for assembling tailored tiers cake:

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/tiered-cakes/tailored-tiers.cfm

HTH

havingfun Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 12:21pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks Jan. I had also googled the stand, and then went to Michael's to look at it. It does not seem to be adaptable to a smaller cake. My bottom tier will be 10" and the middle 8". It is made for a 14,10, and 6. The stand is really just foam pieces covered in ribbon with flat separator plates that have very small spikes (as you can read in the instructions.) The bottom foam piece would look out of proportion to the 10 and 8 with a diameter of 71/4". I purchased a 4" and a 6" foam disc yesterday, and now I just need to figure out how to make it stable.

Thanks for your great search as always.

Janis

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 7:49pm
post #4 of 7

I'm not quite certain what you are asking, but if I understand you...
Dowel from cake plate to Styrofoam, all the way up.
Then a center dowel hammered from the top tier all the way down to the bottom.

havingfun Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 5:57pm
post #5 of 7

7yyrt, Thank you!!! I did not recieve notification I had a response, so please forgive. That is exactly what I wanted to know. Bottom tier will be 10", styrofoam 6", 8" tier, 4" styrofoam, 6" tier. Do you think the smaller diameter that the styrofoam is will be enough surface to support the upper tiers?

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 7:44pm
post #6 of 7

Each tier will still be on a sturdy cake board the diameter of your tier, so the cake is not hanging out there completely unsupported.
Here's a picture that might reassure you...
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-1386342.html
See how it hangs over? Your's will be only an inch or so all around.

havingfun Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 8:30pm
post #7 of 7

WOW! What a beautiful cake. How can I thank you enough?? I have been struggling with this for 2 weeks now. I guess I will still center dowel it? I have never done that before (I am just a hobby baker), but there is always a first time.

Thank you again, and BTW, congratulations on the new grandson to be!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%