Cake Business In Jerky California

Business By Sparklekat6 Updated 16 Jul 2009 , 3:33am by JaimeAnn

Sparklekat6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklekat6 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 25

Hey everyone. So I have been decorating cakes for about a year and I don't usually charge for them because I usually make them for close friends for their birthday's and such. Lately I have been making cakes 4-5 a month, which is fine, but the problem is that I am kind of known now as the girl makes cakes. So my close friends have been asking me to make cakes for their events, which they pay me for, but I don't worry about because they are my close friends.

Which leads to the current dilemna. Now people I don't know very well are asking me to make cakes for them. In California, it's illegal for you to run a business out of your home kitchen. I don't make cakes often enough to rent a kitchen. Also, I don't want to be sued by someone because they got sick. Is their any nice way to say, "I'm sorry but I don't make cakes for people I don't know very well because I think they will sue me?"

24 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 6:18pm
post #2 of 25

I think the correct response is, "I'm sorry. I'm not licensed to make cakes."

tazmycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tazmycat Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 6:32pm
post #3 of 25

So what happens if a person tells someone they are not licensed to sell cakes and it is known that they actually do and charge for them. How do you justify that???

Sparklekat6 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 8:34pm
post #4 of 25

Yeah and this particular person asked me because I had donated a cake to her fundraiser. Which is different because it's like a bake sale, I don't get any money from the proceeds. So again, it's really just because I don't know her well and I don't want to get sued.

Sparklekat6 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 8:36pm
post #5 of 25

Yeah and this particular person asked me because I had donated a cake to her fundraiser. Which is different because it's like a bake sale, I don't get any money from the proceeds. So again, it's really just because I don't know her well and I don't want to get sued.

Sparklekat6 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 8:38pm
post #6 of 25

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 9:49pm
post #7 of 25

What I was trying to say, obviously too gently, is that if you're not allowed to sell cakes from your home kitchen in your state, then stop selling cakes made in your home kitchen. Period. If you're doing it at all you can get sued. You are putting everything you and your family own at risk - your bank account, cars, home, etc. The risk would not be worth it for me.

There's really no such thing as a little bit illegal.

Sparklekat6 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 10:09pm
post #8 of 25

Yeah it's just hard to say no to someone you know really well for that reason. It's kind of jerky.

Sparklekat6 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 10:11pm
post #9 of 25

Yeah it's just hard to say no to someone you know really well for that reason. It's kind of jerky.

Sparklekat6 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 10:13pm
post #10 of 25

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 10:18pm
post #11 of 25

I bake for my mom, sisters, and friends that I've known for years. I don't bake for random strangers. My family and friends buy the supplies for the cake, unless the cake is my gift to them (and they only have one birthday a year icon_biggrin.gif). Other people always ask if they can order a cake, and I just tell them that we're trying to get the laws changed, but until that happens, it's illegal for me to sell them a cake. I've thought about trying to find a loophole...but it's just not worth the possible trouble. If they get pushy about it, I just tell them that eventually I plan to open a bakery, and that I don't want to have any record of operating illegally because that could make it harder to get insurance and/or loans for my new business.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 11:09pm
post #12 of 25

California is VERY VERY VERY strict on food laws. That doesn't mean people don't break the laws.. Every time I go to the store I am yelled at by someone from across the parking lot wanting to sell me Tamales... NO THANKS I am not interested in Hepatitis , salmonella, or E-coli...

Needless to say the laws are in place for a reason and just because you might be able to skate by without getting caught doesn't mean it is a good idea...

What about some other options,

Do you know anyone who owns a restaurant, I am licensed to bake out of my uncles restaurant. I only do a few cakes a month and he lets me work out of his kitchen and under his insurance . It is free to me but maybe you could make a deal where you provide a certain amount of cakes for them in lieu of payment since you don't do many cakes.

Do you belong to a church with a HD inspected kitchen.. there are other ways to legally do this if you really want to.

But other than that I would not risk doing it illegally.

TexasRose gave a perfect response for anyone that asks you. You don't want to risk your future for a couple of $100 cakes.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 11:14pm
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeAnn

California is VERY VERY VERY strict on food laws. That doesn't mean people don't break the laws.. Every time I go to the store I am yelled at by someone from across the parking lot wanting to sell me Tamales... NO THANKS I am not interested in Hepatitis , salmonella, or E-coli...

Don't forget staph. icon_twisted.gif

Just a little shout-out to my Texas peeps. Carry on, everyone. icon_rolleyes.gif

Sparklekat6 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 11:22pm
post #14 of 25

No I am not religious and I don't know anyone who owns a restuarant...

And while I understand that I should rent space I am not sure how serious I am about being in a cake business. I make a lot for a 24 yr old and everytime someone says I should leave my job to do baking for a living I look at them like "Do they not know how much money I make?" I think that's my biggest dilemna is that I would get serious about baking but I don't believe that anyone who does this for a living makes any real amount of money for the amount of time and work they put in. I mean you kind of do it as a labor of love and I don't think I could do it and come anywhere near to what I am making at work putting in the same amount of hours. Plus I am sort of on a PhD track and feel like I should stick with that.

I just have a hard time saying "no" to people.

Sparklekat6 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 11:24pm
post #15 of 25

And while I understand that I should rent space I am not sure how serious I am about being in a cake business. I make a lot for a 24 yr old and everytime someone says I should leave my job to do baking for a living I look at them like "Do they not know how much money I make?" I think that's my biggest dilemna is that I would get serious about baking but I don't believe that anyone who does this for a living makes any real amount of money for the amount of time and work they put in. I mean you kind of do it as a labor of love and I don't think I could do it and come anywhere near to what I am making at work putting in the same amount of hours. Plus I am sort of on a PhD track and feel like I should stick with that.

Sparklekat6 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 11:26pm
post #16 of 25

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 11:37pm
post #17 of 25

~I don't mean our op--I am referencing people who eat our cakes~

It really irritates me that 'people' automatically encourage you to launch a cake business if you can bake a freaking cake. What is that about?!

Going into business is light years different than baking/decorating a great cake.

Why can't 'people' just enjoy the dang cake and let it go. Sure sure tell me you like it and I'll thank you but don't tell me what to do!

Do people who make cakes look like we need a gig or something?
This has been happening forever to me and to you too.

Hey, I think the next time someone says, "Oh you should be in business" I'm gonna say with as much gusto, "Oh you should go into business consulting."
"Oh you should go into counseling."
"Oh you should shut the ____ up."

icon_biggrin.gif

JaimeAnn Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 11:38pm
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparklekat6

I totally understand what you are saying..

Everyone asks my daughter why she doesn't quit her job and open a full time bakery with me .. Then they find out what she makes at her job.

Welll... She is 21
(being from California I am sure you have heard of In-N-Out Burger)

She is a 3rd manger at In-N-Out. She makes $18 an hour ( still has 2 more raises before she will max out at $160,000 a year plus extra perks) has full benefits, They match her 401K contributions she gets a $500 a month bonus, And she will be able to retire with full benefits when she is 40.. She isn't going anywhere.

If you have a good job stick with it and go as far as it will take you. This business is never certain.

I charge what my cakes are worth , I don't undercharge at all. If someone wants my cakes they will pay. If not oh well. But I don't think I would want to make a full time commitment, it would ruin the love of it for me.

Stick to baking for friends and family and when someone else asks , just politely say "I am sorry I can't do your cake but XYZ bakery is really good you should try them"

icon_biggrin.gif

JaimeAnn Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 11:44pm
post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Do people who make cakes look like we need a gig or something?
This has been happening forever to me and to you too.

Hey, I think the next time someone says, "Oh you should be in business" I'm gonna say with as much gusto, "Oh you should go into business consulting."
"Oh you should go into counseling."
"Oh you should shut the ____ up."

icon_biggrin.gif

Hey can I use that..

Really do I look like I need a job or something? WTF!!! I don't want to work thats why I have a husband! Hahhahaahhahahahaha

He can go bust his butt in the oilfields all day and I can bake a cake if I
feel like it.. (or not)...ahhahah

Although I totally respect all of you with actual cake businesses. Full time just isn't for me. thumbs_up.gif

Starlitpink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starlitpink Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 11:44pm
post #20 of 25

I am confused, I thought you said you don't charge for them. If you don't charge, then you don't have a problem. I do have a catering and specialty baking business. I operate out of my home, and also use a commercial kitchen when I have big jobs. Recently, our health department has required everyone working in food be certified, my mom and I are, but this will put a kink in my hiring temp servers for big jobs. I do have certified volunteers that work at my Kids Cafe during the summer, but they are all adults and have regular jobs. I guess I will have to "invest" in some regular servers, or their training at least. I understand your dilemna, but if you don't charge, you shouldn't have a problem. And, there is nothing wrong with telling someone, "I have a full-time job, and I only bake for special occasions. I am sorry I do not have time to take orders."

JaimeAnn Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 11:55pm
post #21 of 25

No she said she doesn't USUALLY charge, but when she bakes for close friends they pay her.

But because of word of mouth other people she doesn't know well are now asking her to do cakes. I believe she was just asking for a tactful way to turn them down because she has trouble saying no.

But honestly since she isn't interested in this as a business I really don't see the dilemma though .

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:08am
post #22 of 25

I think you answered your own question really... icon_smile.gif

Just tell them you aren't in the business of making cakes. You don't have to explain yourself. Go on happily making cakes for your family and close friends... just because you like to make cakes doesn't mean you have to go into business. Enjoy your hobby and say thanks by no thanks. icon_biggrin.gif

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:53am
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeAnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparklekat6

I totally understand what you are saying..

Everyone asks my daughter why she doesn't quit her job and open a full time bakery with me .. Then they find out what she makes at her job.

Welll... She is 21
(being from California I am sure you have heard of In-N-Out Burger)

She is a 3rd manger at In-N-Out. She makes $18 an hour ( still has 2 more raises before she will max out at $160,000 a year plus extra perks) has full benefits, They match her 401K contributions she gets a $500 a month bonus, And she will be able to retire with full benefits when she is 40.. She isn't going anywhere.

If you have a good job stick with it and go as far as it will take you. This business is never certain.

I charge what my cakes are worth , I don't undercharge at all. If someone wants my cakes they will pay. If not oh well. But I don't think I would want to make a full time commitment, it would ruin the love of it for me.

Stick to baking for friends and family and when someone else asks , just politely say "I am sorry I can't do your cake but XYZ bakery is really good you should try them"

icon_biggrin.gif

first of all, let me get this out of the way, i miss in-n-out so much! i was born and raised in ca then moved here to idaho and i think their burgers are what i miss the most about california. forget the beach!
secondly, WOW icon_eek.gif all that from in-n-out?? i think i need to move back just so i can start my way from the bottom at in-n-out. i knew they made good money, but i had no idea you could work up to that. that sounds like an amazing thing for your daughter!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 3:05am
post #24 of 25

Can you send me a postcard so I can have a cancel stamp that says "Jerky"? Please?? I'll send you a blank postcard! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

JaimeAnn Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 3:33am
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by adree313

first of all, let me get this out of the way, i miss in-n-out so much! i was born and raised in ca then moved here to idaho and i think their burgers are what i miss the most about california. forget the beach!
secondly, WOW icon_eek.gif all that from in-n-out?? i think i need to move back just so i can start my way from the bottom at in-n-out. i knew they made good money, but i had no idea you could work up to that. that sounds like an amazing thing for your daughter!

They start all of their employees at $10.50 an hour and all full time employees are eligible for benefits .. full coverage med, dental vision & life for $50 a month icon_eek.gif ..

They are an awesome company to work for , and very good to their employees. They seem to be recession proof to, constantly busy!

It was my daughters first job while in High school at 16 she moved up quick..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%