Help With Supports

Decorating By teswade Updated 15 Jul 2009 , 6:08pm by Unlimited

teswade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teswade Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 5:19pm
post #1 of 3

I have a cake that I am doing that has three tiers. I have never done one and I am concerned about the support. This is how I was going to do it:

(bottom to top)
1. 10in round on plastic seperator plate with 3in globe base set with dowl rods in the cake

2. 8in round on waxed cake board directly on top of the 10in round with the 2 in globes on top and the supports that came with the globe set in it

3. 6 in round on seperator plate resting on the globes/supports in the 8in cake

do you think this will be ok?
should I also put the 10in and 6in cakes on a waxed cake board or is it ok to put them directly on the seperator plates?
and if I have a waxed cake board, do I need to cover it in anything?

I know these sound like silly questions but I won't be at the party to make sure it is ok and I want everything to be perfect.

2 replies
kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 5:35pm
post #2 of 3

I would still use a cake board it makes for easier clean up and if you don't want to bring all the cake bake home with you you can remove it easily from your sep.plate.It sounds like you have the right idea of how it is done.I usually don't stack my cakes until I am at the location,however I do put the dowel rods in at home and pack some extra with me in case I need them.I have started using the wilton plastic ones instead of the wooden ones,you won't need as many and they are sturdier and I can cut them straighter.Hope this helps. icon_biggrin.gif

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 6:08pm
post #3 of 3

I'd use the cardboards under each cake that goes on top of your plates if you don't want knife cuts all over your plates. (it's easier to ice on cardboards or directly on your turntable anyway, rather than directly on your plates.)

You might also consider putting one long dowel through both of your stacked cakes to prevent them from sliding apart during delivery.

The rest of it sounds good, if I understood correctly... good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%