Which Is Sturdier? 2 Layers Or Torte The Layers To Make 4?

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 16 Jul 2009 , 9:47am by Rylan

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 4:32pm
post #1 of 6

I am doing a double tiered first birthday cake for Saturday.I will be stacking and crumbcoating tomorrow to allow the layers to settle to eliminate buldging.Is the cake stronger if I just stack the 2 -8 inch and 6 inch cakes or should I torte each layer to make 4 thinner ones? I have read before that torted layers are stronger...Hmmmm

Maybe Indydebi or Leahs can chime in.... icon_lol.gif

Thanks

Laurel thumbs_up.gificon_wink.gif

5 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 4:48pm
post #2 of 6

I have found that the thicker the layer of cake, the studier it will be. However, I like to tort my layers into 4 layers so that there is plenty frosting.

Just my thoughts.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 5:04pm
post #3 of 6

Unless someone has done actual testing, every answer will be anecdotal. I think that a baked cake is inherently more stable than one that is glued together with sugar grease. Think about it, when a cake slides, it is always along the torted lines. So, the two layers are more stable than the four torted layers. But, we're cake people and we know how to make it work! ... SPS and stuff.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 5:11pm
post #4 of 6

For me it has nothing to do with stability... any cake is only as stable as I build it to be (if a cake is constructed properly, it doesn't matter how many layers are in each tier). But I would never want two 2" slabs of cake with frosting in between--I prefer a more even filling-to-cake ratio. I torte EVERY cake I make.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 5:38pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks everyone for your input....I still have to decide..

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 9:47am
post #6 of 6

I honestly don't think there is a difference.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%