What's The Secret To # & Initial Toppers?

Decorating By Polkadot79 Updated 16 Jul 2009 , 2:51pm by Loucinda

Polkadot79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polkadot79 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 4:48am
post #1 of 11

I've attempted several, but always worry that they are going to crack, break, etc. I have two next Friday. A 13 & a 1.

Do I use fondant, gumpaste, ??

How far in advance do the thicker ones need to be made in order to be dry & stand properly?

10 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 12:08pm
post #2 of 11

I made a "50" for my birthday cake out of just fondant. http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1303013

I just let it dry, used some BC to attached it to coffee stirrers and pushed them into the cake.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 12:47pm
post #3 of 11

I usually make them out of fondant with CMC (tylose) added... while they're still soft I slide skewers into them... just make them as far in advance as you can and let them dry thoroughly.

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 12:53pm
post #4 of 11

I use a lot of CMC. A LOT. I also allow at least 2 days dry time. AT LEAST. More if it's humid. I also make at least one extra in case of breakage.

Polkadot79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polkadot79 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 5:07pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks ya'll...definitely will add some Tylose to the fondant & get busy tomorrow on the #s! Guess I just haven't been giving them time to dry. Procrastination will be the death of me someday. icon_biggrin.gif

Tracy79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy79 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 5:08pm
post #6 of 11

Sorry to hijack...

When you insert the support (skewer, coffee straw), do you insert them to where they are in the back of the topper so they have a back support? Or do you just insert them in the bottom and stand the topper straight up (or both)? I'm always worried that the topper is too heavy and will fall over.

PinkZiab Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 5:17pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy79

Sorry to hijack...

When you insert the support (skewer, coffee straw), do you insert them to where they are in the back of the topper so they have a back support? Or do you just insert them in the bottom and stand the topper straight up (or both)? I'm always worried that the topper is too heavy and will fall over.

I insert them IN the bottom as far as I can without them showing (depends on what number/letter it is... most open numbers--like 0 or 5--get 2 skewers) and they stand straight up.

georgiapuddinpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
georgiapuddinpie Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 5:44pm
post #8 of 11

I am sorry for hijacking too. I have a cake due Saturday and it needs letters. I have done some on wires before, but the wires weem to just hollow out a large hole in the bottom of the letter or star or ball and they just turn and twist in directions I dont want them to go. Where would I go about getting tylose? Is gum tex the same thing? Thanks in advance. icon_smile.gif

georgiapuddinpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
georgiapuddinpie Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 5:45pm
post #9 of 11

I am sorry for hijacking too. I have a cake due Saturday and it needs letters. I have done some on wires before, but the wires weem to just hollow out a large hole in the bottom of the letter or star or ball and they just turn and twist in directions I dont want them to go. Where would I go about getting tylose? Is gum tex the same thing? Thanks in advance. icon_smile.gif

PinkZiab Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 6:25pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiapuddinpie

You can get tylose at any cake supply. I get my CMC (essential the same thing) from www.chefrubber.com (much cheaper than the cake deco shops). I have never used gum-tex (don't use many wilton products), so i can't comment how that works.

When you insert the wires/skewers, wet them a little before sliding them in--this will "glue" them in place. Also, after inserting the supports, let the letters/numbers dry flat (either on parchment, or in a bed of cornstarch if you want to avoid flattening of the back side). Once they are thoroughly dry, the wires/skewers will not tear through the fondant or gumpaste.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:51pm
post #11 of 11

I made a set of letters for a wedding cake out of gumpaste - I used thick spagetti as the skewers to hold them in the cake, worked out fine. I let them dry in a bed of cornstarch so they would not have a flat back, when they were dry, I painted them with airbrush colors.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%