Weird Request!!

Business By diane706 Updated 15 Jul 2009 , 5:09pm by Rose_N_Crantz

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:19am
post #1 of 38

I got a call from someone today who said "I have done wedding cakes in the past and I have a friend who asked me to make her wedding cake and I was wondering if I could ask you for a FAVOR. Would you mind if I borrowed your cake pans?". icon_eek.gif LOL!!! I was dumbfounded!! SAY WHAT?!!! I was sweet and professional and said "Sorry, but I use my pans every day and can't part with them." Have any of you had someone ask this?

37 replies
Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:29am
post #2 of 38

Wow, do you even know this woman? I wouldn't have let her borrow my pans, either. Great, diplomatic response, by the way.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:29am
post #3 of 38

LOL no thankgoodness!

jaybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaybug Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:30am
post #4 of 38

Some people never cease to amaze do they? icon_eek.gif

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:31am
post #5 of 38

This was some stranger? Weird...no, I don't lend out my pans, lol

diane706 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:31am
post #6 of 38

NO!! I don't have a CLUE who she is!!

MLand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MLand Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:33am
post #7 of 38

What did she bake with in the past, her imagination?

sweet-thing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet-thing Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:34am
post #8 of 38

Is this a friend of yours or just some person? How odd. I think your response was perfect. I let my mom use a set of pans but this was my mother!

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:38am
post #9 of 38

I wonder how this person was able to do wedding cakes in the past without owning pans!!! (I think I would have asked that). You did the right thing... don't loan your pans out--the next thing that would happen is one million questions about how to dump, ice, decorate, etc.

This person has no business attempting a wedding cake if they haven't invested in any pans! (my opinion, I'm the one that loaned my pans to a friend's sister-in-law many years ago... got lots of questions, and it made me more mad that I wasn't the one doing the cake. I realize they're all trying to save money and DIY, but the end result shows that it's not pro-quality work).

diane706 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:41am
post #10 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLand

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I'm sooo glad you guys agree that this is odd! I've been caking for years and have NEVER had this request before... I just had to consult my CC family on this one!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 4:20am
post #11 of 38

That is so CRAZY! Don't all people (electricians, carpanters. mechanics.etc.) have that unspoken rule that NOBODY touches their tools? I feel the same way about my tools.

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 4:28am
post #12 of 38
Quote:

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 4:44am
post #13 of 38

Haha. This happens to me ALL THE TIME! (Believe it or not)

People just walk in off the street and say they're making a wedding cake, and can they borrow my pans (I have a shop). I just look at them like they're stupid (well, they are, aren't they?)

I finally got a set of three pans (12-9-6), decent quality but NOT Magic Line, and rent them out. They can be picked up at the earliest Wednesday 8:30 am and returned at the latest Tuesday at 5:00 pm.

They are rented out just about every weekend from May to October. I charge $50 bucks rental and a big fat deposit. This is really easy money for me.... hardly any work involved.

dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 6:12am
post #14 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane706

Quote:

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I'm sooo glad you guys agree that this is odd! I've been caking for years and have NEVER had this request before... I just had to consult my CC family on this one!

...............and just when you think you've heard it all. What some people come up with amazes me.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 11:42am
post #15 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

I finally got a set of three pans (12-9-6), decent quality but NOT Magic Line, and rent them out. They can be picked up at the earliest Wednesday 8:30 am and returned at the latest Tuesday at 5:00 pm.

They are rented out just about every weekend from May to October. I charge $50 bucks rental and a big fat deposit. This is really easy money for me.... hardly any work involved.

That is one good head for business that you have on your shoulders!!! Great idea! thumbs_up.gif

sadie098 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadie098 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 12:02pm
post #16 of 38

This reminds me .... I had someone ask for a quote on a b-day cake. I gave her a price and she never got back to me. The b-day was 2 wks away, so I figuered she came up with something diff. OK 2 days before the b-day I get a phone call from my neighbor wanting to know what I would charge to cover an already baked and frosted cake with fondant. icon_mad.gif Of ourse she didn't tell me it was for the b-day cake friend of hers. So, I thought and then I asked. Sure enough it was that person who wanted my work but didn't want to pay my prices for a fondant covered cake. LOL I let my neighbor know that I was hurt and offened and never would I put my brand on someones elses cake. I stewed on that one for days and now the girl won't even look at me when she visits my neighbor. Oh Well. Do they honestly think that talent and skill is worth nothing? The worst part is my neighbor, whom I give break after break on cakes wasn't going to tell me who it was for until I asked. That takes B**ls.

juleskaye518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleskaye518 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 12:18pm
post #17 of 38

There is a decorating shop in Cranston, ri, right up the road from me who rents pans. She has all kinds. I think the rental thing is a good idea. There are people who simply can't afford our art works, so why not let them create their own disasters, I mean works of art!!!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 1:16pm
post #18 of 38

I would never just lend the pans to someone I didn't know. I mean they could walk off and steal them.

However, it might not be a bad idea to rent the pans out like one of the posters mentioned. Especially, if you have that big deposit - they keep your pans, you keep their money.

diane706 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 1:42pm
post #19 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by juleskaye518

...so why not let them create their own disasters, I mean works of art!!!

icon_lol.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:37pm
post #20 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane706

Quote:
Originally Posted by juleskaye518

...so why not let them create their own disasters, I mean works of art!!!

icon_lol.gif

It's true though. If they don't have any (or limited) experience with cake, IT IS NOT going to turn out GOOD!

mackeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mackeymom Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:44pm
post #21 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

This is genius! I love it!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:46pm
post #22 of 38

I did have someone ask to borrow pans once. My reaction was stunned silence. And since silence is pretty rare from me, she got the message.

diane706 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:49pm
post #23 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I did have someone ask to borrow pans once. My reaction was stunned silence. And since silence is pretty rare from me, she got the message.

icon_lol.gif

GrandmaSweetiePie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaSweetiePie Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:49pm
post #24 of 38

I can top that one, a relative askd to borrow my Kitchen Aid Mixer. She even had the nerve to get mad when I just looked at her.

GrandmaSweetiePie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaSweetiePie Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:51pm
post #25 of 38

I can top that one, a relative askd to borrow my Kitchen Aid Mixer. She even had the nerve to get mad when I just looked at her.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:57pm
post #26 of 38

I can hardly believe the nerve of some people! When I was going to make my 1st wedding cake (donated for friends) I had to borrow pans because I didn't have the money to invest yet, but I borrowed them from a close friend and fellow baker whom I have a good relationship with!! YIKES - I can't imagine asking a stranger to borrow their pans!!!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:57pm
post #27 of 38

Well...it doesn'r surprise me what people will ask for and expect these days...I run a cake decorating business and everyone (Mom's and teachers at the school) know this...Yet I have had some Mom's ask if they can borrow my character pans...coloring,bags,tips etc..I mean the Gawl....Fall off your wallet and order a cake cause by the time you buy everything to make a cake it will cost you more.I would never ask someone to borrow their equipment to make my own when I know they do it..That just burns my butt everytime!! Grrrrrr.I have thought about renting pans and I actually had my website set up at one time to rent them out but didn't get one rental in 6 months so I deleted it.

KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:57pm
post #28 of 38

This is so sad! It just seems to be another example of society today where everyone wants something for nothing. That sense of entitlement drives me nuts!

KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:59pm
post #29 of 38

there are a few things I don't share, lend out, or offer the service of, they are in order of refusal, my husband, my sons, my daughter, my cake equimpment, sewing machine, or car. Those are mine to have, to use, and not to lend.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 3:01pm
post #30 of 38

I had a lady email me asking if I would sell her some dummy cakes (my designs) so that she could rent them out herself. She was just starting a cake rental business and felt the quality of work was not good enough yet.

Why would I supply my competition with my designs so that she could rent them out?

I told her that I was not selling my cakes at this time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%