Cricut Vs. Silhouette Sd?!

Decorating By missyd4e Updated 19 Jul 2009 , 5:11pm by madras650

missyd4e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyd4e Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 12:59am
post #1 of 10

There have been many threads flying around about the Cricut. I was acutally headed out the door yesterday to buy one when I read a post about the Silhouette. I then followed a link someone posted that compared a bunch of the die cut machines.
I decided after studying this spreadsheet that the Silohuette SD is definetaly the better one to get (for me at least) but I have not been able to find anyone that has used it on gumpaste.
So, this is shout out to anyone who has used this machine on gumpaste. I want to make sure that it works well on gumpaste before I decide to get it instead of the Cricut.
Anyone????

9 replies
missyd4e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyd4e Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 5:05am
post #2 of 10

Anyone???

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 1:41pm
post #3 of 10

On one of the 'comparison sheets' I saw, the maker of each machine was noted, and they were ALL made by the same company! I have also been researching which one would suit me the best, and because of the SD card functionality I decided on the Silohuette SD. Being able to load the files to the memory card and not have to have the unit connected to the computer to use it was the major deciding factor for me. That gave it the same 'portability' as the Cricut without the excessive expense of the cartridges.
I'm still 'shopping' for one ..... been watching Ebay closely and seeing what a good price/good vendor I can find and not get out bid! Prices are a higher than the smaller Cricut a bit lower than the Expression. Very few used ones offered, however there are a lot of the Cricut used ones offered.

I do recall on one of the threads someone mentioned using the Silohuette SD.

tamiscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamiscakes Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 12:38am
post #4 of 10

in other post i have seen where people are talking about frosting sheets. Are these the edible sheets that you get to do the edible images like photos of people ? and if that is what they are talking about do they work? i have some and was wondering before i tried them in the cricut. thanks

ATCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ATCakes Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:49am
post #5 of 10

I just received the next JoAnn's sales flyer and the Expression will be on sale at $249 next week.

ATCakes Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:51am
post #6 of 10

I just received the next JoAnn's sales flyer and the Expression will be on sale at $249 next week.

ATCakes Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:52am
post #7 of 10

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 3:49pm
post #8 of 10

Finally had time to try my Silhouette SD with gumpaste. It is taking some trial and error, but I'm now having very good results with it. I have not yet purchased any additional blades or holders - I'm getting great cuts with the bare blade, and I'm using quilting template as a mat so that I can use the provided mat for paper or other products. I am not getting marks from the rollers, so I haven't had to move or remove them. Joy, joy icon_biggrin.gif

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 4:26pm
post #9 of 10

Glad to hear about the progress using the Silhouette SD.... that is the one I've decided on... still on the hunt at Ebay...just got out bid by 20 cents this morning! Oh well.... I'll just keep trying! There is NO place locally that I can shop, so the internet is my only option1

I have DL the program that comes with the Silhouette SD and it is easy to use, has similar options to several other graphics programs I use so will be easy to transition from one to the other. I love the idea of importing from my existing programs that I am already able to easily manipulate my graphics in.

I did see 'somewhere' about mirroring the image before printing and being able to glue the cutouts before removing from the sheet. This sounds like it would work perfectly with the cutout gumpaste that could have the glue applied and the carrier sheet could be used to place the cutouts in place on the cake without distorting them.

Yes....I'm anxious to get one and try out some of the things I've been researching! I can imagine so many possibilities for cakes! One of the most 'exciting' things to come along for me in a long time!

madras650 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madras650 Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 5:11pm
post #10 of 10

I was leaning toward the Silhouette, but then I learned about the sure cuts a lot for the cricut. This allows you to create your own designs and not need cartridges. The cricut is less expensive, but then you still have to buy the sure cuts a lot. I have not made up my mind yet. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%