Recipes From Around 1941

Lounge By ninatat Updated 21 Jul 2009 , 10:47am by playingwithsugar

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 6:52pm
post #1 of 12

Hi all, i was cleaning out a tub container that i threw a bunch of stuff i was going to go through, sooooo i found a book from my aunt. and it has some recipes for cakes, sponge, pound, a tilton cake that say's it wonderful, 1 cup butter, two of pulverized sugar, on of sweet milk, three of flour, half cup corn starch 4 eggs, two teaspoons baking powder two of lemon extract this is excellent, Here's one from the meat section head cheese having thouroughy cleaned a hog's head or pig's head split it in two with a sharp knifetake out the eyes, take out the brains, cut off the ears, and pour scalding water over them and the head and scrape them clean, cut off any part of the nose which may be discolored so as not to be scraped clean, then rinse all in cold water boil and there's more. one cake say's cook for 3 hours. they even have on called a birthday cake. and an economical cake. and one said to mix for 20 minutes. some take very little ingreadents, if you' like to try some let me know, i'll make a list when i have time. like to see if the good old recipes are good hope you might enjoy this. oh i just noticed it has cleaning remidies you can remove spilled in from carpet by wetting milk, and it has the entire process

11 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 8:11pm
post #2 of 12

I'll pass on the head cheese, but the cake recipes sound interesting.

Are there any savory recipes in there that do not require autopsies of animals? icon_confused.gif

Theresa icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 12

Wow! I guess maybe they had to do that kind of stuff regularly back then. (I'm referring to the pig head). But seriously, that's kind of gross.

But that's neat that you found all those old recipes. Let us know how they turn out!

GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 8:26pm
post #4 of 12

I LOVE those old recipes!!! I have inherited several of my ancestors cook books dating back to the 1700's!! I love to look thru them - and especially if they have where my Great Great (maybe great?) Grandmother , wrote a notation in it ... they always make me feel kinda connected in a way!!
I have tried several of the cake recipes - but some of the conversions are hard to figure out - since their ingredients were sooooo different back in the day icon_smile.gif The "really" old ones, theres no way to try - heck, they cooked them in a hearth! (Maybe I could try in my grill!)

Anyways - what a treasure trove you've found!! I'm so happy for you - and cant wait till you post some of them so I can peek into your world icon_smile.gif And maybe try some too!

cakeaddiction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaddiction Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 8:35pm
post #5 of 12

I will say the milk on blood on a carpet does work. You have to use whole milk and do it a little at a time. (blood is the only thing I've seen it done on). When a friend of mine started cleaning up a spot of blood off her carpet with milk I thought she had lost it, but it worked.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 9:52pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeaddiction

I will say the milk on blood on a carpet does work. You have to use whole milk and do it a little at a time. (blood is the only thing I've seen it done on). When a friend of mine started cleaning up a spot of blood off her carpet with milk I thought she had lost it, but it worked.

Good to know...if I can remember it when the situation arises. thumbs_up.gif

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 12:12am
post #7 of 12

Ninatat, how totally cool! I ADORE old cookbooks! I'm always looking for them wherever I go. I'd love to hear more recipes from the book. And also, GayeG, I'd LOVE to see some of your recipes too! Figuring out how to modernize them and yet keep their charm is a challenge but well worth it. Thanks for sharing! icon_smile.gif

woodruffbn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodruffbn Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 12:19am
post #8 of 12

WOO!! Hog head cheese, not exactly my idea of a delicassy. However, my papaw might disagree. icon_razz.gif

ninatat Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 3:47am
post #9 of 12

I know i've been reading it some of them are comical, and some are so simple. i'll pass them on. thanks all

ninatat Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 4:22pm
post #10 of 12

here's an easy one rich bride cake take four pounds of sifted flower, four pounds of sweet fresh butter, beaten to a cream and two pounds of white powdered sugar, take six eggs for each pound of flour yep that's what it say's , an ounce of ground mace or nutmeg, and a tablespoon of lemon extract or orange flower water, anyone have orange flower water, i any one makes it let us know, wouldn't be funny if it came out better than cakes we've made

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 10:26am
post #11 of 12

That's basically a yummy pound cake, and not TOO much different from a modern one!! icon_smile.gif http://www.joyofbaking.com/PoundCake.html Here a pound of butter is used with about a pound of flour and a pound of sugar (twice as sweet as the old recipe!). Four eggs are used, but they're large so it could conceivably be close to the old recipe. A leavener isn't mentioned in the old recipe, but maybe that was taken for granted? Hmmmmm........ I wonder. icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 10:47am
post #12 of 12

There's no leavening in a true pound cake recipe.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%