Mm Covered Fondant Cake

Decorating By peony421 Updated 15 Jul 2009 , 1:14pm by kmiller799

peony421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peony421 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 12:22pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone! I need some advice. I decided to buy a costco cake (cause I love them) just iced and cover it in mm fondant. I made a test cake on father's day to try out the mm fondant and have to say I was pretty happy with the way it turned out. I attached a picture of it below. I saw so many tutorials online on how to make the mm fondant. For this cake I made it the night before and just let the mm fondant sit out and rest. The next morning I rolled it out and covered the cake with it. It seems a bit stiff and I felt like if I rolled it out anymore it would crack. It was probably about a 1/4 in. thick. When I was first done with it (the night before), it seemed perfect. Also, I cheated and bought wiltons fondant for the decorations...but I didn't even try to taste it. So this time I want to make the mm fondant to cover the cake and for the decorations, here are my questions:

How long can I keep the mm fondnat out? I have a few colors I want to make so it will take me a considerable amount of time. I would love to make it in the middle of the week so that I'm not crazed the night before the party.

Also, let's say earlier in the week I wanted to use some of the colored mm fodnant I made to roll out and do the cut-outs for the decorations. How long can I leave them out? I'm trying to think of how I can do everything ahead of time so that on the day of the party I just have to assemble the cake.

One more question, for the mm fodant I made for the picture below I added food coloring to the melted marshmallows before mixing in the sugar. I couldn't get the blue to the deepness I wanted, but I think I have to use icing gel, so I will try that. But if I'm going to do multiple colors would it be easier to make small individual batches that I can add the color to the melted mm or should I make a big batch and keep it white then add the color and kneed it in? And if I do that at what point do I do that, right when it's done or once I'm ready to roll it out and actually use it.

Any advise would be most appreciated! As you can see I'm new at this and would like to do as much in advance as I can. Thank you soooo much!
LL

3 replies
AussieGirl1010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AussieGirl1010 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 1:08am
post #2 of 4

I add my colour to the melted marshmallows before adding the sugar as well icon_biggrin.gif

I'm pretty sure that MMF lasts for quite a while so I think it would be fine to make it during the week so you don't have to do it on the day (this is what I'm planning to do with some cakes I have to make in the next few weeks).

If you leave the cut-outs exposed to air they will dry quite hard within a few days. If you want them still soft then wrap them would be my advice.

I'm a total novice as well though so I'm sure some of the experts will have some great advice icon_smile.gif

woodruffbn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodruffbn Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 1:33am
post #3 of 4

When i learned to make MMF, I was taught to wrap the fondant in plastic wrap and then put into a ziploc (making sure to get all air out) and put it the fridge. I was told that it would be good for a couple of weeks. HTH

kmiller799 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmiller799 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 1:14pm
post #4 of 4

I am a newbie to the forum but I have been making MM fondant cakes for a while...I think I can answer your questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peony421

How long can I keep the mm fondnat out? I have a few colors I want to make so it will take me a considerable amount of time. I would love to make it in the middle of the week so that I'm not crazed the night before the party.

I make mine 24-36 hours prior to when I am going to use it. I roll into a tight ball, coat with crisco, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and put in a ziplock bag. Do NOT store it in the fridge, on the counter in a cool dark spot is perfect.

Once you are ready to use the MM fondant, you need to re-knead the fondant. Use more crisco and sometimes i need to add some water to it to get it to loosen up.

Quote:

Also, let's say earlier in the week I wanted to use some of the colored mm fodnant I made to roll out and do the cut-outs for the decorations. How long can I leave them out? I'm trying to think of how I can do everything ahead of time so that on the day of the party I just have to assemble the cake.

I agree with the above poster, if you want them to be hard, you can leave them out(they will never get as hard as regular fondant cut outs, but it will stifen considerably)...however if you want them to stay soft I would reccomend just cutting them the day you will use them

Quote:

One more question, for the mm fodant I made for the picture below I added food coloring to the melted marshmallows before mixing in the sugar. I couldn't get the blue to the deepness I wanted, but I think I have to use icing gel, so I will try that. But if I'm going to do multiple colors would it be easier to make small individual batches that I can add the color to the melted mm or should I make a big batch and keep it white then add the color and kneed it in? And if I do that at what point do I do that, right when it's done or once I'm ready to roll it out and actually use it.

I never add coloring to my marshmallows, I always knead the color in when I am ready to use it. You have much more control over the color deepness etc. Also, I only use gel colors. The regular liquid colors add too much moisture and not enough color.

I hope this helps! If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Great job on the cake btw!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%