Fresh Fruit As Filling

Decorating By momba5 Updated 17 Jul 2009 , 12:22am by momba5

momba5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momba5 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 4:18am
post #1 of 5

I have never tried using fresh fruit, ei: strawberries, peaches, mangos, etc. as filling. It seems like they would get very soggy, discolored and soak into the cake!! Do you have to put a layer of buttercream or smbc on the cake before adding the fruit. It seems like you would have to fill the cake and use it right away so the fruit would stay fresh. Any tips for successful filling with fresh fruit would be appreciated.

4 replies
2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:43pm
post #2 of 5

I have not used fresh fruit, but I saw on Cake Boss where they did a filling with fresh strawberries. They put down a thick layer of chocolate ganache and then sprinkled the strawberries on top, then put the next layer on. HTH

GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:45pm
post #3 of 5

When I use fresh fruit - I do always add a thin layer of BC to help it from soaking - because once fruit is cut, it starts producing that water (juice) that they are 75% made of icon_smile.gif
I ONLY use it when the cake is gonna be consumed within 24hrs of me putting it in there -
I havent had ANY problems with them getting soggy or ucky if I do it that soon .. HTH

cutiepiebaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiebaker Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 1:23pm
post #4 of 5

I have used fresh fruit a few times now... and it IS because I saw it on Cake Boss =)

I put a layer of "Smucker's strawberry spreadable fruit" and then a layer of thinly sliced fresh strawberries... I paired it with vanilla pound cake and vanilla buttercream. I made the cake on Thursday and they didn't eat it til Saturday. It was also covered in MMF...
Anyway, I was nervous after I delivered it that it would have gotten moldy or soggy or something, and it held up PERFECTLY! They said that it was the best cake they've ever had, and that it tasted like strawberry shortcake..

Since then I've tried to cut down the time between making and consumption, just to ease my mind. But the other times I have done the fresh fruit people have just LOVED it!

I would just be sure to keep the cake as cool as you can. Good luck!!!

momba5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momba5 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 12:22am
post #5 of 5

ok - thanks! I'm definitely going to give it a try. Guess I better start watching Cake Boss too!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%