Last Attempt At Shortening Base Bc...sugarshack With 4.5 Ka

Decorating By __Jamie__ Updated 14 Jul 2009 , 6:29pm by mgwebb68

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:48am
post #1 of 14

Ok...gonna try shortening based icing one more time. Only one I haven't attempted yet has been Sugarshack's, because until today, did not have any Sweetex...now I have the Sweetex! I really don't like the hemming and hawing with some folks over the importance of keeping their SMBC iced cakes monitored like a baby this time of year. Most are cool with it, but some....I no trusty them. Bah!

So gals (and guys), I still have my crusty ole' 4.5 quart KA. I know Sharon's original recipe is pretty exacting to a 5 or 6? quart. Anyone have a good solid list of measurements for me for a 4.5 KA, where the icing goes up over the spring like Sharon says is vitally important?? I'd be most grateful. I'm hoping this can be my saving grace with some of my customers and their insane desires for outdoor parties in 100+ degree heat. Freaks. icon_razz.gif

Thanks guys! Or Sharon...if you're out there. icon_wink.gif

13 replies
Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 4:00am
post #2 of 14

I'm sorry but I dont have the exact measurements for your 4.5 mixer. But I do have a small suggestion for you....in my opinion the wedding bouquet flavoring that she uses makes the icing taste soooooo much better. The recipe asks for any flavoring of your choice, but with just vanilla extract or any other, the icing taste "OK". But with the wedding bouquet the icing tastes really good. So, if you dont have it already, buy the wedding bouquet flavoring icon_smile.gif Sorry, I couldnt be of much help

__Jamie__ Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 4:05am
post #3 of 14

No that's great Normita! When I make SMBC, I don't ever add anything other than really good vanilla, so I don't have stuff like that on hand. I'll get some, that's not the first time I've seen good remarks about that flavoring. Isn't it lemon and vanilla and something else? Almond? I seem to remember something like that.

poohthebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohthebear Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 4:18am
post #4 of 14

I've never heard of this wedding bouquet flavoring. Is it a recipe or buy somewhere?

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 4:28am
post #5 of 14

It's a bottled flavoring, my cake supply store sells it, but you can get it online.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 5:07am
post #6 of 14

Sugarshacks recipe for 4.5 qt. mixer:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-598821-.html

HTH

Normita Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 5:40am
post #7 of 14

It's a mixture of different flavorings. I think it has vanilla and lemon. It's smells yummy and tastes super good too. You can buy it through global sugar art or through jesters. Just check both sites to see what is the better price....all I know is that we get a discount when we use use jesters icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 1:42pm
post #8 of 14

Jan! You doll! Thanks a million!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 4:10pm
post #9 of 14

Is there a code we need to use to get the discount at jesters?

Normita Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 4:48pm
post #10 of 14

During the checkout process it will ask you to enter any promotions or discounts...just simply type "cake central" and you will get 10% off

TamathaV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamathaV Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 5:24pm
post #11 of 14

Hi Jamie! Will you report back on how you like the recipe?

I've been wanting to try it as well but have to order the Sweetex online. I use SMBC pretty exclusively but want an option for a sweeter icing that doesn't need refrigeration. All the shortening based BC's I've tried are okay with the right flavoring but leave an unpleasant film on the roof of my mouthicon_sad.gif

Thanks

- Tammy

__Jamie__ Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 5:32pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamathaV

Hi Jamie! Will you report back on how you like the recipe?

I've been wanting to try it as well but have to order the Sweetex online. I use SMBC pretty exclusively but want an option for a sweeter icing that doesn't need refrigeration. All the shortening based BC's I've tried are okay with the right flavoring but leave an unpleasant film on the roof of my mouthicon_sad.gif

Thanks

- Tammy

My sentiments exactly Tammy! Yes, I will. I am hoping the hi ratio is the solution to some of those things we don't like about shortening based icings. I am very optimistic based on the great reviews Sharon gets!

momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 5:57pm
post #13 of 14

Here is my version of her recipe for 4 1/2 qt. mixer:

2 1/4 cups sweetex
2 1/4 cups butter
4 lb + 2 cups powdered sugar
2 Tbl flavoring (I use 1 tbl clear vanilla & 1 Tbl Baker's Compliment)
14 Tbl warm whole milk

I make it just like she does in her youtube video. Cream butter, shortening and liquids on low, add 2 cups sugar(still on low), scrape down sides, slowly add the rest of the sugar scraping down sides about 1/2 way through. Once all the sugar is incorporated I turn my KA mixer to #8 and mix for around 8 minutes.

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 6:29pm
post #14 of 14

Hey folks, I'm still pretty new here and this is just my hobby/passion/obsession but since you are just trying SugarShack's recipe for the first time I just wanted to let you know...

I tried it a couple of weeks ago for the first time and it was Fabulous! I don't by hi-ratio (just do this for fun, friends and family so I don't really have a need), but I did get some store brand WITH the transfat still in it (hard to find where I live for some reason). Well, I could definitely tell the difference between that and the TF Free. Smooth as silk, sweet, but not sickly sweet and no film in my mouth. If you are going to use hi-ratio, I'm sure you are going to love it. And I couldn't believe how beautifully it went on my cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%