Tired Of Standing There With A Towel Around Your Kitchenaid?

Decorating By GrandmaG Updated 14 Jul 2009 , 10:41pm by samiam22

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 6:31pm
post #1 of 23

I'm probably not the first one to discover this but I haven't seen it anywhere else. I was getting so tired of standing there holding a towel around my mixer when mixing up buttercream or whipped topping so it wouldn't fly all over. I thought someone should invent something similar that would attach to the bowl! I can't remember how I figured this out and how simple it is. I've been meaning to take a picture for a while now. I just wrap what ever brand of cling wrap all the way around the bowl and over the mixer so the speed lever is exposed. If you wrap it around the bowl before you twist it to tighten it down then it doesn't leave any gaps in the back. If you need to add more powsered sugar or liquids just peel back an edge and reattach. Works great for me!
LL

22 replies
cdavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdavis Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 6:41pm
post #2 of 23

Good idea. Thanks for the visual.

melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 6:41pm
post #3 of 23

Cool beans, great option instead of the damp towel routine. Thanks for sharing.

okred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okred Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 7:05pm
post #4 of 23

Great Idea!!! once I turned my back for just a second, when I turned back the entire towel was in the bowl!! with my buttercream!!! Bad day and I was very lucky I didn't damage the mixer.

QueenBee1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenBee1 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 2:41am
post #5 of 23

Thanks so much for posting! This is an awesome idea. I just got done making a big batch of sweet potato pie custard. Whenever I make it, I have to check the walls for orange splatters. This is a simple, yet brilliant solution.

Thanks again!

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 2:47am
post #6 of 23

Yes, I am a big fan of the plastic wrap method...when I don't do it, I end up with spatters on my cabinets, too, like QueenBee1! icon_smile.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 2:55am
post #7 of 23

What a neat idea!

lilboo529 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilboo529 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:10am
post #8 of 23

mine came with a plastic cover to use to add stuff in i just use that and put plastic wrap on the opening

applemint_jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
applemint_jackie Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:19am
post #9 of 23

Thank you.

MemphisMom9801 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MemphisMom9801 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:23am
post #10 of 23

I did this just the other day!! Works great! thumbs_up.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 8:07am
post #11 of 23

Good grief, such a simple and obvious idea...can't believe I never thought of it! Oh yippee, my countertops will thank you! thumbs_up.gif

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 1:59pm
post #12 of 23

I love this idea too..use it all the time.I got tired of washing greasy dish towels ;0). I use glad press and seal wrap because it really sticks well to the bowl and mixer. I like the fact you can see what's happening in the bowel, as opposed to the towel method.

klallen21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klallen21 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:11pm
post #13 of 23

good idea!

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:59pm
post #14 of 23

Great Idea! Thank you for sharing! My towel never quite reaches where it needs to and there is always something that escapes. I'm going to try this this week. thumbs_up.gif

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 4:14pm
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by okred

Great Idea!!! once I turned my back for just a second, when I turned back the entire towel was in the bowl!! with my buttercream!!! Bad day and I was very lucky I didn't damage the mixer.

icon_surprised.gif Oh I have always had that fear of this very thing happening! Even when I would be standing there watching it I would be nervous flinching while wondering when the time would come my towel would end up a buttercream wrap of sorts!! So, I quit using the towel and began covering in plastic wrap! Works great!! I can see through it for monitoring my buttercream, and it stays put! No puffing in and out scaring the heck out of me!!

Lea

GrandmaG Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 7:26pm
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

Good grief, such a simple and obvious idea...can't believe I never thought of it! Oh yippee, my countertops will thank you! thumbs_up.gif

That's what I thought!
It's amazing when I read about an idea here on CC, maybe just once, and down the road I find I can really use that idea! Like I read someone's post where they left the middle dowel in the stacked cake stick up until they got it transported and then cut it off. I needed to use that idea this past week end traveling an hour and a half transporting a 4 tiered stacked cake. I rode in the back with it while my DH drove and I needed to hang onto that dowel a couple of times to balance that cake!

mjk350 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjk350 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 8:14pm
post #17 of 23

Great idea!!! Thank you for sharing!

bakery_chick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakery_chick Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 8:23pm
post #18 of 23

Just wanted to note....
Be careful when you wrap the mixer. I didn't make the clingwrap tight enough and it got wrapped around the whisk. It was a complete MESS.

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 8:27pm
post #19 of 23

THANKS!!!!! Great idea.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 8:48pm
post #20 of 23

You know that's a great idea. I have the plastic thingy that KitchenAid sells that fits over the bowl and it's utterly useless!! I'll definitely have to try this!! (I'm soooo sick of cleaning powdered sugar off of every surface in the house after making buttercream!) icon_confused.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 9:37pm
post #21 of 23

I think that is just great because you can still see what is going on in there!!! TFS!

GrandmaG Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 10:31pm
post #22 of 23

sadsmile, love your avatar! What's the meaning of your name though?

samiam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samiam22 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 10:41pm
post #23 of 23

This saran wrap method is great..even a newbie like me knows the value of this. I saw it here one day too. Now I constantly strive each time not to get one drop of powdered sugar on my counter. I haven't succeeded yet,but I've been close with this method!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%