Wedding Cake For 7/18 Bride Making Excuses For Wedding Cake

Business By abruntz Updated 16 Jul 2009 , 6:16am by abruntz

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 12:25am
post #31 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by abruntz

I should suggest that they could pay me through paypal. .

The paypal recipient, (you), will be charged a fee thru paypal. Make sure you add the fee onto her bill. You should not have to absorb any losses.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 12:31am
post #32 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Church decorated to the nine's and she was very proud to say she "donated" the church flowers to the church for their service the next day, instead of using them at her reception.

Donated them huh? I always thought that was common practice to let the church keep the flowers for next day's service. Just some kind of unspoken agreement that everyone knows. Huh.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 12:34am
post #33 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

Quote:

Church decorated to the nine's and she was very proud to say she "donated" the church flowers to the church for their service the next day, instead of using them at her reception.

Donated them huh? I always thought that was common practice to let the church keep the flowers for next day's service. Just some kind of unspoken agreement that everyone knows. Huh.

Oh heck no! My wedding planner friends (Well, the good ones!) tell me they ALWAYS recommend the bride recycle the church flowers to the reception as a cost saver! (Had this conversation with one just 4 days ago). Even way back when, as I was just getting started in this biz, I suggested brides do that to save money.

indydebi Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 12:37am
post #34 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug

Quote:

The paypal recipient, (you), will be charged a fee thru paypal. Make sure you add the fee onto her bill. You should not have to absorb any losses.

Does paypal allow you to do that? I know credit card companies forbid it.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 12:48am
post #35 of 62
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug

Quote:

You need to tell the businesses around here that. We have places all over that charge you 75 cents to use a credit or debit card. Heck Taco Bell was doing it too....but haven't been there in forever so don't know if they still do.

patticakesnc Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 12:51am
post #36 of 62
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug

Quote:

You need to tell the businesses around here that. We have places all over that charge you 75 cents to use a credit or debit card. Heck Taco Bell was doing it too....but haven't been there in forever so don't know if they still do.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 12:52am
post #37 of 62

I just heard that last weekend a caterer here had a bride refuse to pay them the balance she owed on the day of the wedding (she was unhappy about something - don't know what), so they packed everything up and left. No payment, no reception food.

I'm kind of surprised that they didn't leave 50% of the food that she'd already paid for, but I guess she was in total breach of their contract so they had a right to not leave anything. I was very proud of them. I hate hearing stories of brides who try to 'stiff' their vendors.

I'll bet she was one embarrassed bride when her guests showed up expecting dinner and all they had was cake.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 12:55am
post #38 of 62

You see it on those wedding shows all the time where people cant afford the wedding and are literally having their wedding coordinator open up their gifts to pay their vendors with. That is just tacky. Ive always wanted a Platinum Wedding but we didnt have that kind of money to spend. I didnt invite people just to invite them, or have that A/B list crap. I made a lot of the things for the wedding, went skimpy on the flowers, and still had a nice wedding. If they cant afford having that many people then instead of inviting Aunt Emma that lives in Timbucktoo that they've never met, invite the close family only! Gheesh! It doesnt take a brain surgeon to figure out that you live within your means!
And I had my identity stolen, had up to $1000 taken out of our account. The only thing the bank froze was my debit card and cancelled it (thats how I found out it was being done because the bank figured it wasnt me doing these charges) and then gave me a new card. They NEVER once froze the entire account and they actually went through the entire account activity and froze the transactions that were suspicious. The other ones were free to go through. So this girl is feeding you a line of bull. I had a client that was suddenly four days past due. So when I told her she said they would use paypal. Well ofcourse I got charged for the transaction so Im out that money. It didnt even occur to me that I would be charged for using it for someone making a payment to me. So if you do let her do it, make sure when you send the request that you add that amount in and I would even charge her a late fee or something. At this point she is lucky that you are still even talking to her. Most people would just say Too bad, soo sad, go tell someone else that cares! So stick to your guns!

indydebi Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 12:55am
post #39 of 62

If a cardholder called MC, Visa, etal and complained about having to pay more to use THEIR credit card, I guarantee you the credit card company would call that business the next day and threaten to pull their card privilages!

Almost happened to me and it wasn't my fault! A wedding planner invited me to her place to meet a bride. Bride wants to pay wedding planner and planner asked her to pay with a check instead of AmerExpr "...because of all the fees they charge me". Bride only had MY biz card, not palnner's, so she called AmerExpr and complained that her card was refused by a vendor. AmerExpr called me the next day!! I was confused and had no idea what they were talking about. It hit me later that day and called them back to explain what happened ... that it was the PLANNER not ME who refused the card!

Card companies do not want any barriers between the cardholder and the use of their card. Charging an add'l fee to use the card is SO against the merchant agreement, it's not even funny and they take it VERY seriously!

patticakesnc Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 1:03am
post #40 of 62

Hmmmm...well I might have to do something about a few of these people then. They won't even let you use a card unless you spend a certain amount. It is BS to me. I hate taking them for just a buck or two also with the fees but if you offer it then you need to offer it with no stipulations.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 1:05am
post #41 of 62

But would paypal count, cause thats not really a credit card method of payment.

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 1:07am
post #42 of 62
Quote:

If a cardholder called MC, Visa, etal and complained about having to pay more to use THEIR credit card, I guarantee you the credit card company would call that business the next day and threaten to pull their card privilages!

Almost happened to me and it wasn't my fault! A wedding planner invited me to her place to meet a bride. Bride wants to pay wedding planner and planner asked her to pay with a check instead of AmerExpr "...because of all the fees they charge me". Bride only had MY biz card, not palnner's, so she called AmerExpr and complained that her card was refused by a vendor. AmerExpr called me the next day!! I was confused and had no idea what they were talking about. It hit me later that day and called them back to explain what happened ... that it was the PLANNER not ME who refused the card!

Card companies do not want any barriers between the cardholder and the use of their card. Charging an add'l fee to use the card is SO against the merchant agreement, it's not even funny and they take it VERY seriously!

just saw a news story about this kind of thing a couple weeks ago, they were talkig about gas stations and how some of them charge the customer a fee to use credit cards to pay for gas, they said to report people who do this, its against the law to to charge to use a credit card

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 1:13am
post #43 of 62

It depends on if your card is being used as credit or debit... Here almost all stores charge you a "convenience" fee for using Debit (even if the debit card has a visa,Mc logo) But they can't charge the fee if you tell them to run the card as credit.

On the flip side almost all Gas stations charge approx 10 cents more per gallon if using credit..

You can have the person paying you cover the 3% paypal fee because it isn't a credit card fee it is a PayPal account transaction maintenance fee. It applies to all transactions regardless of how the purchase is funded (ie: cc, debit, bank account or PP balance).

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 1:16am
post #44 of 62

I would be very careful about receiving payments thru paypal if you're already having issues with the bride...I read on cakecentral a while back about issues cake decorators were having...if I understand correctly, basically, if the payee (bride) complains to paypal about your services, you have to refund bride 100% and lose the cake...at this point I'd tell her cash or NO CAKE!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 1:18am
post #45 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by traci

I worked for a bank for 12 years. I also had checks stolen out of my mailbox before locked mail boxes became popular. Someone forged $12,000.00 of checks on my account. The account was closed as soon as we knew and new account opened. Money available right away...She is totally lying about that.

I concur, Traci. When my debit card was hacked a couple of years ago the bank took everything over, froze, closed, whatever was needed to be done, and replaced the money in an new account the next day. They even contacted me as payment claims were coming in, to make sure they were valid, before transferring them to the new account for payment.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

JaimeAnn Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 1:22am
post #46 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellobutterfly

I would be very careful about receiving payments thru paypal if you're already having issues with the bride...I read on cakecentral a while back about issues cake decorators were having...if I understand correctly, basically, if the payee (bride) complains to paypal about your services, you have to refund bride 100% and lose the cake...at this point I'd tell her cash or NO CAKE!

That is correct... But it is pretty much the same as paying for anything with a credit card.. After the wedding the bride can say the cake wasn't what she ordered and dispute the charge.. But,(and it is a big But hehe) it is then sent to investigations and she then has to prove that the cake was not in compliance with the order. She is then only given a chargeback if she can prove there was a problem. The same as any credit card dispute is handled.
If the baker sent them a copy of the oredre or contract and a picture of the cake , No chargeback.

JaimeAnn Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 1:24am
post #47 of 62

In this situation I would definitely want Hand Delivered cash or Money order!

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 1:32am
post #48 of 62

One thought on the fruad on her account, we are all assuming that someone is using her account to commit fraud. What if she has insufficient funds, that is fraud and the bank can and sometimes will freeze the account to prevent being out of $$$$$.

playingwithsugar Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 1:38am
post #49 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynnw

One thought on the fruad on her account, we are all assuming that someone is using her account to commit fraud. What if she has insufficient funds, that is fraud and the bank can and sometimes will freeze the account to prevent being out of $$$$$.

Good point. I'm one to foolishly assume that, because it happened to me. But now that you mention it, and I know I'm going to sound like an alarmist, but if the OP is having trouble getting their money, maybe the bank is, too.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

JaimeAnn Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 1:39am
post #50 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynnw

AHA! That's a possibility ....

But It just sounds totally made up to me , I have seen it on Bridezillas a few times!

(I watch way too much T.V. any show that may have a cake in it. icon_rolleyes.gif I am a junkie)

MLand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MLand Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 2:05am
post #51 of 62

DO NOT use paypal. If she complains, they WILL refund her money. One of my brother has been fussing with paypal about this same thing. He does ebay, a guy lied said he was in the US but item needed to be shipped overseas. Item was shipped, he even left comments about how the package was when he received it on my brothers feedback-- then turned around told paypal he did not receive it and paypal refunded!!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 8:17pm
post #52 of 62

Tell her that you understand she is going through a rough patch, but that you can't help it. Tell her to ask her parents or his parents or somebody for the money. Good luck! Let us know what happens!

abruntz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abruntz Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 6:09pm
post #53 of 62

Heres an update to the saga bride:
Yesterday I got an email early from the bride saying everything was fixed at the bank that I could cash the check she sent me. So I waited til the mail man came and again NO Check so I just emailed her and said the mail man just came and your check wasn't in there so as of right now I cannot do your cake I am not here to play games. She then calls and tells me she will be over in less than an hour with the CASH (Shoot I thought I was not going to have to this cake). So when she got her yesterday afternoon I just asked her "now this isn't going to turn into something that I wish I never had any part in right cuz if it is.....Costco makes great sheet cakes.......... her face turned to you know what and she said no I promise. And I told her I don't mind helping her but I don't want to regret it later. Man what a pain in the butt. Thank you again for all your help I am glad this is about over I will post the picture as soon as the cake is done. Off to kicking some major butt getting this silly cake done.

UGG....

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 6:42pm
post #54 of 62

Looking forward to seeing the cake & glad the saga is over....or nearly over. So sad for everyone that this happened, not a good start to a marriage is it?

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 7:43pm
post #55 of 62

Well Im glad she atleast paid you. Its horrible when you count on that money and they do this kind of crap. They dont understand that we are not huge supermarket chains and that we HAVE to have that money in order to keep producing for them. And ofcourse there are those out there that just do it for scamming people too. I cant stand those people either! Hopefully karma bites them in the behind!

playingwithsugar Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 8:02pm
post #56 of 62

Did she ask you to send the check back when it gets there?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 8:40pm
post #57 of 62
Quote:

Heres an update to the saga bride:
Yesterday I got an email early from the bride saying everything was fixed at the bank that I could cash the check she sent me. So I waited til the mail man came and again NO Check so I just emailed her and said the mail man just came and your check wasn't in there so as of right now I cannot do your cake I am not here to play games. She then calls and tells me she will be over in less than an hour with the CASH (Shoot I thought I was not going to have to this cake). So when she got her yesterday afternoon I just asked her "now this isn't going to turn into something that I wish I never had any part in right cuz if it is.....Costco makes great sheet cakes.......... her face turned to you know what and she said no I promise. And I told her I don't mind helping her but I don't want to regret it later. Man what a pain in the butt. Thank you again for all your help I am glad this is about over I will post the picture as soon as the cake is done. Off to kicking some major butt getting this silly cake done.

UGG....

Well it sounds like you set her straight! You got your money and basically told her that you mean business. So it sounds like it should turn out alright. =o) Good luck with the cake! icon_smile.gif

gourmetsharon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gourmetsharon Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 9:49pm
post #58 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Theresa icon_smile.gif

HAHAHA! Like there really was a check mailed!! Good one!

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 10:45pm
post #59 of 62

When you finish putting the cake up at the reception, better have someone VERY responsible sign for it, and take a picture of it (all sides)... and that person standing next to it!

deb

JaimeAnn Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 10:45pm
post #60 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by gourmetsharon

Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Theresa icon_smile.gif

HAHAHA! Like there really was a check mailed!! Good one!

I think that is what Playingwithsugar was implying! thumbs_up.gif

She would have asked her to return the check if there had ever been one sent..... icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%