Need Main Dish - School Luncheon Suggestions Pls.

Lounge By Cake4ever Updated 14 Jul 2009 , 3:41pm by 7yyrt

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 3:41pm
post #1 of 8

My kids are having an end of summer school party at their school. They've been in a fun summer program and now it's ending this Friday. I was told I had to bring a main dish. Normally I volunteer for desserts ya know what I mean, just another reason to practice and be creative. But this time, I am totally drawing a blank.

I want something that won't cost an arm and a leg and will serve at least 15 and be kid friendly. The teacher said if each parent were to bring enough to serve 15, then it should cover the whole luncheon.

Any ideas?

7 replies
Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 8

How about a pasta salad? Pasta, cut up veggies, cheese, and salad dressing and you can even add meat if you choose like cut up chicken, pepperoni, or crabmeat.
Or just make baked ziti, Pasta, meat if you choose, sauce and some cheese on top and then bake.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 4:06pm
post #3 of 8

I like making Hamburger soup...It really isn't a soup though rather a thick chili type meal.Very easy to make and everyone likes it...If you want the recipe just PM me.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 4:11pm
post #4 of 8

Spaghetti, lasagna, beans and wienies, chili and cornbread...

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 12:43am
post #5 of 8

Cheesy Spaghetti

1 pound hamburger
1 chopped onion
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of tomato soup
1 soup can milk
garlic powder, salt and pepper
1 pound shredded cheddar cheese
1 pound spaghetti

Cook hamburger and chopped onion together and then drain. Mix soups, milk and hamburger and onion. Add spices to taste. Heat until bubbly. Add 1/2 of cheese and stir until melted. Put cooked spaghetti in greased 9x13 inch pan. Pour sauce over top and stir. Top with remainder of cheese. Bake until heated through and bubbly at 350 degree, about 30-40 minutes.

Very easy, inexpensive and delicious!

Jodie

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 12:49am
post #6 of 8

Is a main dish different than a meat dish? I'm thinking 15 hot dogs, sloppy joes, mac-n-cheese, pizza rolls.

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 10:08am
post #7 of 8

Thank you all for the great suggestions. thumbs_up.gif

Baked pasta is a great idea, but I think I want to go simpler than that. I do want to make this for the family though. icon_wink.gif Kiddiescakes, I'm thinking that hamburger soup is right up my alley, if I can get away with using my beloved crock pot! LOL.

I think I'm going to go with Indydebi's suggestion of hot dogs. I think that would be the easist way to go. Just get a couple packs of hot dogs and buns. It's definitely a kid pleaser.

Big thanks everyone! thumbs_up.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:41pm
post #8 of 8

Condiments, too!
If you're going to boil them, you can keep them hot in your Crockpot.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%