Fondant Cake Questions

Decorating By Laura1976 Updated 15 Jul 2009 , 7:31pm by tiggy2

Laura1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura1976 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:30pm
post #1 of 4

I made a three-tiered cake this weekend (first time all by myself!) and had some problems with it. I used the cardboard circles (not covered in foil, which I thought of later) and when we went to take the layers apart, the fondant stuck to them and I had to peel it off (it stuck to the board). It was a family birthday party and no one cared (but me), but I don't want it to happen again. I made the cakes Friday morning and iced and put the fondant on on Saturday (the party was on Sunday.) Why did it stick? Should I have put the fondant on and let the cakes sit before I put them together? Was it because the boards weren't covered in foil? It was kind of humid, but not that bad (I didn't have the air conditioning on.) I also forgot to dowel them and it was fine (the cakes were 1.5" high and I used the 12, 10 and 6" pans. Thanks for any tips that anyone can give me!

3 replies
lilboo529 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilboo529 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:39pm
post #2 of 4

you know i have that same problem so heres a bump

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 7:18pm
post #3 of 4

I have not ever used foil on my top layer boards. But I have never had a problem with the fondant sticking to the second layer cardboard. After thinking about it... I think it's probably because I have doweled every time. The weight is taken off the fondant and therefore doesn't have the pressure which would cause it to stick. My best guess is, dowel and I don't think it will happen, again. Good luck!
icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 7:31pm
post #4 of 4

I agree that doweling takes the weight off of the tier below preventing them from sticking together. I think humidity, no air and lack of dowels was the culpert.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%