Make Fondent People Will Eat?

Decorating By JMouse1928 Updated 13 Jul 2009 , 11:23pm by lngo

JMouse1928 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JMouse1928 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 12:12pm
post #1 of 8

Fondent does not taste good, so what do I do so that people will want to eat it? I am used to butter cream. I have used both cook butter cream and the basic butter cream. I am going to make a Transformers cake for my son's 5th birthday and do not think that I am going to be able to make what want without fondent.
HELP!!!!
Also I have never really worked with it so any pointer would me good.

7 replies
nicolesprinkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolesprinkle Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 12:28pm
post #2 of 8

Not all fondant tastes bad. Michele Fosters Fondant is really yummy! Especially if you add dark or whit chocolate!

jodilee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jodilee Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 12:35pm
post #3 of 8

Wilton's Fondant does not taste good!!! I have tried a few recipes for fondant from this website that have tasted good...really good. Marshmallow fondant tastes great and is really easy to make, and the ingredients don't cost very much, way cheaper than buying the Wilton fondant. Michele Foster's Fondant also tastes great. It takes a bit more time to make than Marshmallow fondant, but it is worth it! I think it is much easier to roll out and work with too.

One tip for working w/ the fondant is making sure that it doesn't stick to the counter top or whatever you are working on. I find that coating my countertop with shortening first really helps alot!

Both these recipes for the fondant are in the recipe section of this website. By the way, when people talk on here about different fondant's. MMF stands for Marshmallow Fondant and MFF is Michele Foster's Fondant. Just thought I would let you know, sometimes it takes a while to figure out on here what people are talking about when they use abbreviations on here!

Good Luck!

notjustcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcakes Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:19pm
post #4 of 8

I use Wilton's fondant only for figurines or sugarwork that needs to harden...MMF tastes good...You can add any flvoring you like to it...If the cake is for kids and they like marshmallows...they'll eat it.

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:36pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolesprinkle

Not all fondant tastes bad. Michele Fosters Fondant is really yummy! Especially if you add dark or whit chocolate!

I agree. Her fondant recipe is the best! I add my own flavoring according to what I am using it for. I have tried the Marshmallow recipes and the Wilton recipe and the texture of the fondant is not right. Michele's recipe is the best. You can find it in the recipe section.

lilboo529 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilboo529 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:43pm
post #6 of 8

i always use mmf and everyone loves it....

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 8:34pm
post #7 of 8

For some people it isn't the taste but the texture of fondant that they don't like. We are use to icing (buttercream) melting in our mouths and often times fondant comes out more chewy.

My family dislikes fondant because of the texture. Sometimes I'll use it cause I want that look but I'm totally not offended if they peal the fondant off or eat around it.

lngo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lngo Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 11:23pm
post #8 of 8

Texture matters to me, and that's why I'm not big on fondant. Chocolate MFF does taste like a tootsie roll, and I can eat that in small bits. I just can't handle it on a slice of cake - it's too sweet for me as well.

If you have time, I'd flavor the MFF with chocolate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%