How Do I, Make Letters Using Paper Templates?

Decorating By 2waystodo Updated 26 Jul 2009 , 1:34am by 2waystodo

2waystodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2waystodo Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 5:29am
post #1 of 20

Hi, I wanted to know how to make letters with a paper templates, with fondant or gumpaste.
Any help would be apprieciated...
Thank you, in advance. icon_biggrin.gif

19 replies
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 5:40am
post #2 of 20

You're better off using cookie cutters for this, but if you aren't able to, you need to roll out the fondant/GP, place the template over it and use an Exacto kinfe (some call them box cutters) to carefully cut them out. Some people use a toothpick to trace onto the fondant, then cut out from there. I prefer to just cut thru the paper when I need to use a paper template.

2waystodo Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 5:53am
post #3 of 20

CutiePie, thanks...I will have to use the paper.
If you have any cookie cutters, (letters)..may I ask where did you buy them...
This is for a 60th birthday cake.
Thank you... thumbs_up.gif

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 7:24am
post #4 of 20

I made the letters on the cakeboard in my avatar photo (the other end of the field says FLORIDA) using large sized index cards. They're thicker than plain paper and the lines helped to get all the letters the same exact height when I drew them out, then I did as CutiePieCakes mentioned with an x-acto knife.

2waystodo Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 12:18am
post #5 of 20

Thank you, Flourpot...that is a great idea...I will use....Whew!!! THANKS!!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

2waystodo Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 12:18am
post #6 of 20

Thank you, Flourpot...that is a great idea...I will use....Whew!!! THANKS!!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

2waystodo Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 12:21am
post #7 of 20

FlourPots Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 12:23am
post #8 of 20

You're very welcome icon_smile.gif .

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 12:27am
post #9 of 20

You could also do colorflow lettering. In my pix, the gold monogram was made from printing out an enlarged size font I really like and putting it under wax paper, then flowing the letters. Let dry and gild. Great for monograms!! icon_biggrin.gif

2waystodo Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 1:18am
post #10 of 20

I'm going to wear this word out "Thanks"...
But seriously, thank all of you...
Bobwonderbuns...another good idea...thanks...
Off I go...thanks everyone!!! thumbs_up.gif

Lee15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee15 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 11:57am
post #11 of 20

I usually look on the internet for the font that I want, print it out on card stock and then cut it out. When I place it on gumpaste of fondant to cut, I put cornstarch so that it does not stick.

chocolatestone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolatestone Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 12:18pm
post #12 of 20

I recently did this for a 21st cake that I made. I used fondant mixed with tylose. I cut out templates from light board. You don't want to use paper that is too thin because it shifts and folds too much while you cutting around it.

Also I roll the fondant out and wait just a few minutes for it to dry a bit because I get cleaner lines this way. Cut the letters out using a small sharp knife. My letters were standing up so I inserted toothpicks through the bottom of the letters and left them to dry.

I added quite a bit of tylose so the next day they had dried enough. Fancy letters with small curls and corners are more difficult to cut. I painted them with a mixture of silver dust and lemon juice because I didn't have any alcohol and that worked fine for me.Hope this helps.

2waystodo Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 11:58pm
post #13 of 20

Chocolatestone, thank you thats sounds easy...
Lee15 thank you, especially the part about the cornstarch...
thumbs_up.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 12:10am
post #14 of 20

I use crisco because I want the paper to stay put but not stick to my fondant. It also helps keep the peice from drying out to quickly which makes for rough edges. I crisco the whole surface and smooth the paper out on it and cut and then I lift off the paper and smooth the edges by finger with more crisco. I have done this for all the toppers I have made that have multi layers.

I also do the opposite with tappits(which calls for crisco) and I use cornstarch... LOL I find they pop right out in one piece easier and dry faster using cornstarch then crisco with them.

2waystodo Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 1:08am
post #15 of 20

Thanks, another great idea...I just finished a wedding cake, and now to make the lettering for a 60th birthday cake...
I will be trying these ideas, seeing which one works for me...
Thanks, for the help.... thumbs_up.gif

2waystodo Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 4:01pm
post #16 of 20

Hi, I was wondering if any of you know a site to print out the 'letters', to be able to make the lettering i need?
Thanks for your help... thumbs_up.gif

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 4:27pm
post #17 of 20

Great thread...thanks for all the great ideas!

jcasey51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcasey51 Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 7:04pm
post #19 of 20

I just got some letter cookie cutters from Kohl's, in a tin, the whole alphabet. They are food network brand and about 2 inches high. I think they were about $25-$30 normal price, but got them for much less on sale. Can't wait to use them.

2waystodo Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 1:34am
post #20 of 20

Thanks jcasey51, I'm going to check them out...
Thanks flourpots, I'm going to check it out.
thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%