What Kind Of Tip Was Used On This Cake?

Decorating By kelleym Updated 13 Jul 2009 , 2:26pm by tonedna

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 7:08pm
post #1 of 16

Hey everybody, this is my wedding cake from 1994. I I was so disappointed in it, I almost cried. So...poofy! So many different shades of pink! Aaarrrghhh! icon_eek.gif This was way, way before I did cakes.

Does anybody know what kind of tip was used to make those large dropped gathers at the meeting points of the swags? How was this done?
LL

15 replies
tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 7:21pm
post #2 of 16

Tip 127..If dont remember wrong
Edna icon_smile.gif

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 9:42pm
post #3 of 16

The seventies called. They want their cake back.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 10:00pm
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

The seventies called. They want their cake back.

ROTFLMAO !!!! Hhahahahhaah..

It reminds me of my canopy bed when I was 8....

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 10:07pm
post #5 of 16

OMG! Too funny!

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 10:12pm
post #6 of 16

Looks to me like it could even be an upside down shell. I'm going to have to try that!

....yeah, I like the cake. Or would if it was blue instead of pink.

cakepans1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakepans1 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 10:18pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleym

Hey everybody, this is my wedding cake from 1994. I I was so disappointed in it, I almost cried. So...poofy! So many different shades of pink! Aaarrrghhh! icon_eek.gif This was way, way before I did cakes.

Does anybody know what kind of tip was used to make those large dropped gathers at the meeting points of the swags? How was this done?

the largest rose tip, three step movement.

kelleym Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 10:41pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakepans1

the largest rose tip, three step movement.

Thank you everyone! icon_smile.gif Cakepans1, can you elaborate?

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 10:49pm
post #9 of 16

http://www.wilton.com/technique/Ruffle
You want a larger tip then 104.
Ruffle (use rose tip):

1. Hold bag so tip is at a 45-degree angle to the right. Position wide end of hole in tip so it is just touching cake and narrow end is angling away from cake.
2. Gently squeeze while moving tip in slight up-and-down motion to ruffle icing.

TIP: To use a ruffle as a side decoration, move tip downward to form swag while piping ruffle. When ruffle is desired length, stop squeezing, then lift tip.

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 12:28am
post #10 of 16

I would laugh my butt off if the baker of that cake actually saw it on here.
I think you should make yourself a replacement for an anniversary that is still this cake but fixed up to what would have made you happy. It would be great therapy (not that i think you need therapy hehehe).

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:22am
post #11 of 16

Hey that looks like it may have been done by the bakery that did my friends wedding a couple months ago....

It wasn't bad just very dated style... Boy we have come a long way in cake decorating ..

My friends new MIL way paying for the cake so MIL took friend to some little hole in the wall bakery, They don't do fondant, and used pastry pride for the icing .. all of their stands were straight from the 1980 Wilton catalog, and this is what MIL got.....for $400...

I made the gumpaste roses and petals around the bottom in a slight attempt to bring it into this millenium... hahahha ...

Disclaimer: I realize there are going to be people who like this cake and there are a lot of bakers that still do these kinds of cakes.. I am not trying to offend ANYONE.. But this is not what my friend wanted for her wedding, but MIL got what she wanted...
LL
LL
LL

kelleym Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 2:07am
post #12 of 16

The bakery who made that cake actually specialized in cheesecakes (the groom's cake was a big ol' decadent ganache-covered cheesecake with chocolate covered strawberries - I didn't get a piece icon_cry.gif ), but they did wedding cakes also. They have been out of business for a long, long time.

I was actually planning on making some kind of "replica" except "what I expected" for my anniversary in September. I've just been curious for years how those big gathers were made. It's obviously not a technique in vogue right now.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 2:21am
post #13 of 16

that looks like a large star, probably 1M since bakeries like to use large tips to make decorating speedier. Im surprised that came from the 90's did you pick the design or was it back then you just ordered a wedding cake. Thats how it was when i married, 81, jsut went to the bakery and ordered the cake, no choices, no pictures to look at. Cakes have certainly come along way.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 3:23am
post #14 of 16

we just learned the ruffle in class and it it the bigest rose tip, did you know you have to put some kind of border under each ruffle,, like a star tip.

kelleym Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 3:54am
post #15 of 16

Just to clarify, my question was about how those dropped gatherings at the meeting points of the ruffles were done. They're almost seashell-like. I do know how the ruffles are done, learned that in Wilton 3. icon_biggrin.gif

sweetcakes - I'm embarrassed now to admit it, but the cake really wasn't very important to me. In 1994 cakes were not as much of a pop culture phenomenon as they are now. I was a single working mom planning my own wedding. I used my lunch hour to go down to the bakery. I remember looking at a photo album and not really having much of an opinion about any of the cakes, so I just picked one. It was the first and only place I went, I just needed to check it off my list.

I do remember that I asked for pink roses (wedding colors: soft pink and white). Soooooo, because I didn't even really remember exactly what I picked (and I had bigger and better things to do, like my honeymoon), I never complained, but I'm SURE it wasn't mismatched shades of pink with the most gigantic swirly borders ever. Ugh.

Oh well, it's going to be fun to try to re-make it into something that I think the 1994-me would have liked. icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 2:26pm
post #16 of 16

Yes that's the ruffle made in class 3!.... At least your cake had something. My cake was made in star tip all over..Didn't looked like anything I aske the lady to do for my cake..I am ot joking.I dont even have a photo of it, I was so upset.. STAR TIP!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%