Help On Pricing First Wedding Cake

Decorating By dinie Updated 12 Jul 2009 , 7:43pm by indydebi

dinie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinie Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 4:40pm
post #1 of 7

Good afternoon Ladies,
I just got a order for my first wedding cake it will be three tiers. It will be 14"-10"-6" big tier will be vanilla filled with strawberry, 10" will be chocolate filled with peanutbutter and 6" will be chocolate filled with buttercream. It is going to be buttercream iced with yellow ribbon at bottom of each tier with dots on the sides of cake customer has on cake topper.
When I read about how many this will serve I get different # will the 2 tiers feed 100 people? They have also asked me to cut the cake so I feel that I should charge for this service also, so much should that be?

TIA,
Diane
All help would be great!!!!

6 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 4:57pm
post #2 of 7
MLand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MLand Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 5:17pm
post #3 of 7

Shape?

MLand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MLand Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 5:18pm
post #4 of 7

Shape? Shape is gonna cause serving differences!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 6:20pm
post #5 of 7

most people charge the same for wedding cakes as any other cake. otherwise your customers will just see it as a mark up, unless you are very explicit about what the wedding mark up includes - maybe delivery, cake cutting services, stand hire etc.

i would charge per hour for cutting it. i would be delivering then waiting for them to get to the cutting point - unless your house is next door and you can get on with your life in the meantime, travelling home, not being able to do anything decent, only to come back again seems like a waste of my time. caterers will usually cut the cake anyway. so if i delivered it, and they didnt cut till several hours later, id charge that whole time.
xx

dinie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinie Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 7:30pm
post #6 of 7

These cakes are going to be round cakes and I will be baking them in 3" deep pans. Here is another question should I bake it the whole 3" or should I bake 2 of each layer. As you can tell I have not made a wedding cake and need all the help possiable.

TIA,
Diane

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 7:43pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by brincess_b

i would charge per hour for cutting it. i would be delivering then waiting for them to get to the cutting point - unless your house is next door and you can get on with your life in the meantime, travelling home, not being able to do anything decent, only to come back again seems like a waste of my time. caterers will usually cut the cake anyway. so if i delivered it, and they didnt cut till several hours later, id charge that whole time.
xx

Absolutely! $25 per hour, 4 hour MINIMUM. They will pay you to sit in the kitchen for hours just reading a book. They are paying for your TIME, not for the 15 minutes it takes you to cut the cake.

Otherwise, you can refer them to my website on "How to Cut A Wedding cake".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%