Remove Cornstarch From Fondant?

Decorating By yamber82 Updated 12 Jul 2009 , 3:22pm by icer101

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 6:02am
post #1 of 7

my last cake turned out really well but if you look closely you can see corn starch remnants in all the corners and crevices. i tried my best to brush them away but it only does so much. this has been a recuring problem for me. i see so many otehr cakes that look flawless and wonder how on earth is there no cornstarch leftovers anywhere. the brush can only get to so many places. here is a pic...

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1412381

6 replies
LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 6:13am
post #2 of 7

you could give your whole cake a light spray of vodka if you have an airbrush or you could lightly brush it with a damp brush with vodka. Be careful not to pick up color on the brush from the dark colors and then put them on the white parts.

I have been watching Cake Boss lately and Buddy uses a garment steamer.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 6:23am
post #3 of 7

Using a steamer will make it shiny. Try rubbing it with shorteing and then wipe it off with a paper towel.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 12:11pm
post #4 of 7

I use a clean kitchen towel and rub the cornstarch off while it's laying flat on the counter, before putting it on the cake. Fewer cracks and crevices for it to hide in, that way.

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 3:10pm
post #5 of 7

Using CRISCO or any other shortening will work. Just brush it on and wipe off. The shiny that it leaves will dry out and it will all look just fine. Sharon Zambito (SugarShack) uses this method in her videos.......

=)

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 3:22pm
post #6 of 7

Few options..

Rub crisco and then wipe it of with some viva paper to get the excess out. When it dries it wont be shiny, just look polished.

Airbrush with some vodka. Don't over spray~

Steamer..as long as you dont over steam, it should be fine, but if you oversteam then
can create problems.
The last 2 need to dry well before you touch or you can work the fondant.

Edna icon_smile.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 3:22pm
post #7 of 7

sharon zambito.. our decorating queen. love her.. always uses crisco.. wipe it on and rub around some. then take clean paper towel and wipe off. she uses fondant ALL THE TIME.. she shows this method in her fondant dvd's.. hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%