Do You Have Prices On Your Website?

Business By rharris524 Updated 13 Jul 2009 , 3:10am by FromScratch

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 4:26am
post #1 of 17

I'm mid-creating my website and I chose not to put prices, since there is some variation depending on the size/complexity of the order but several people have asked about it. Do you put your prices on your site? If so, do you just have it as a 'starting at...' or do you have a detailed price description?

16 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 4:36am
post #2 of 17

After careful consideration and many adjustments, I have clearly stated that "Prices can be as low as $3.00 (not posted is that this would be for kitchen cakes) and can be as high as $10.00. On average most designs run between $4.00 and $6.00"

Weeds out the sheetcake seekers and the ones that want Duff style for $29.99 icon_biggrin.gif Works so far!

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 4:42am
post #3 of 17

Nope, I don't. I do have this, though:

All cakes are priced individualy according to size and complexity.

__Jamie__ Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 4:56am
post #4 of 17

I did that for the longest time Mensch. Then I found myself going thru too much "work" helping out with design only to find out that they were "shocked" at the price. Urgh! Swallow those prices, then call me!

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 5:12am
post #5 of 17

Thanks Jamie, I like the way you worded that. I may do something similar

CountryCakery4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CountryCakery4 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 5:16am
post #6 of 17

I like your response Jamie. Then you only get people contacting you who are prepared for a reasonable price.

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 5:19am
post #7 of 17

I list a range, and then I list prices along with the photos in my gallery - that way people know what a particular design may run.

I got tired of people calling or emailing me that couldn't afford me, or other decorators wanting to figure out what they should charge (they'd always pretend to be potential customers though. LOL!), and since I put the prices up, I get much fewer calls and interruptions in my day.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 5:21am
post #8 of 17

Mine has a price per serving for buttercream and fondant that says, "Starting at...". I also have an additional statement that says, "Carved cakes, gumpaste flowers and figures - Prices based on complexity of design."

I decided to post the prices because it weeds out people who don't want to pay my prices and we don't waste their time or mine. I know when I look at web sites I want to know the prices for that very reason. If they're out of my range, I don't bother.

Nchanted1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nchanted1 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 11:32am
post #9 of 17

I do list prices, but sometimes think no one looks at them! There's a page clearly labeled flavors and prices. I clearly state "Cakes start at $100." Still get calls for a tiny cake for 6. I will do them, but it's still $100!

Maybe they think if I like their voice on the phone, I will drop my prices to match Costcos'. I don't do that. Ever.
It is good to list prices to weed out the people who are bargain hunting.

Nchanted1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nchanted1 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 11:34am
post #10 of 17

I do list prices, but sometimes think no one looks at them! There's a page clearly labeled flavors and prices. I clearly state "Cakes start at $100." Still get calls for a tiny cake for 6. I will do them, but it's still $100!

Maybe they think if I like their voice on the phone, I will drop my prices to match Costcos'. I don't do that. Ever.
It is good to list prices to weed out the people who are bargain hunting.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 12:09pm
post #11 of 17

Not only do I have my cake and catering prices posted, but I have a spreadsheet they can download to figure the cost of their reception down to the penny!

I use my website as a pre-qualifier. They see my prices, they figure the total cost, they decide they can afford me and they call. The sale is halfway done.

If they can't afford me, they dont' call and my time is not wasted.

Mine is easier than most because I have flat-price pricing, meaning I don't nickel and dime for every little thing. I've so far in my 30 years of life, not run into any BC designs that take that much extra time that I have to charge extra for. (Some charge extra for basketweave because they say it's more work, and I'd rather do basketweave instead of plain iced because I find it easier! icon_eek.gif )

I think you need to have at least a price range. Brides have told me they love my site, because of the up-front pricing. They've told me if they go to a website with no pricing information, they click out and move on.

Those who are into the archaic use car salesman thinking of "I'll put JUST enough info on the site to get them interested, then do the sales pitch when they call me" are missing the boat. Because they are NOT calling you. They're moving on.

We live in the information age, folks. Brides/clients are looking for information. True Story: Hubby was in the market to buy a brand new truck. He bought it online from the ONE dealership that had all the pricing info available on the webiste. He totally ignored the ones that said "Click here for pricing" only to be taken to a "give me your phone number so I can call and pester you with my mundance sales pitch" screen. They lost the sale because they tried the archaic used car salesman techniques.

They just didn't get it.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 3:51pm
post #12 of 17

Debi, I love your one price method. I just called the caterer for my daughter's wedding that is in two weeks to confirm everything, and they told me the plates, cups, and silverware were extra and not in my quote (we're using heavy duty plastic because we couldn't afford glass dinnerware). I had found out a couple of months ago that the table linens weren't in the quote, either, and I'd already had to adjust the budget for that.

I had my first minor "mom-zilla" moment and told them how frustrated I was that I wouldn't know until two weeks before the wedding about the extra charge, and they took it off the bill. That made me happy, but it unnecessarily created drama for me, and lost money for them. If they'd just quoted it in the price in the first place I would have paid it and never known the difference.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:13am
post #13 of 17

I'm with Debi! It doesn't matter what I'm buying, if I don't see a price - I'm going on to the next place. I'm not going to call you up and find out what it is. It's too much work when we have the internet. I just go on to the next place.

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:20am
post #14 of 17

I have prices and the brides really like that because they know if they can afford it or not and if they should bother calling or not. I still get those that seem to ignore the pricing but most have an idea after looking at my website.

__Jamie__ Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:21am
post #15 of 17

Ditto...I don't want to have to call 6 million places and get the "wait wait, this is only.." Nope. Next! That's why I like having prices on my site. I think avoid many phone calls that way. icon_biggrin.gif

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 2:43am
post #16 of 17

I find basket weave cakes easier to do as well, but I have NEVER had an order for it.

I have a minimum order listed on my site, that has cut the calls and emails down to the REAL buyers. Fine by me.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 3:10am
post #17 of 17

I have my prices listed... "Cakes start at $5/serving. Due to attention to detail there is a $100.00 minimum on all cakes", but people don't read, or don't care.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%