My New "woodsy" Cake Stand

Decorating By indydebi Updated 28 Sep 2009 , 9:40pm by conchita

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 3:11am
post #1 of 18

A guy in my BNI group is a woodworker and some time ago, I asked him to keep an eye out for a piece of wood that could be made into a tree-stump type of cake stand. He thought I was nuts! icon_lol.gif But he found a great piece that he smoothed out (the surface is as slick as ice!) and covered in multiple coats of finish. Carved out some of the excess wood from the underside for lighter weight and carrying.

I cant' wait to have a reason to use this new stand!

wanted: outdoor wedding for a deer hunting groom! icon_biggrin.gif

Top side of stand: http://www.flickr.com/photos/55969028@N00/3707534825/
Underside of stand:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/55969028@N00/3708341324/in/photostream/

Pssst! I'm sure my friend, Bill, would ship these but I'll warn you ... the weight will make this an expensive shipping expense! Well worth it!

17 replies
pieceacake830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceacake830 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 3:20am
post #2 of 18

Thats so cool! I want one!!

brandy7909 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandy7909 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 3:22am
post #3 of 18

omygosh! i love it

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 3:24am
post #4 of 18

I love the stand and the idea! You'll be able to use that one real soon I'm sure. I have a clock made almost like that but it has a weird shape. Might have to drag it out from the attic to see if it can be "recycled" into a cake stand. Always on the look out for an unusual stand or plate to accessorize with. Great idea and Bill does beautiful work!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 3:27am
post #5 of 18

Wow. How big around is it? How big a cake can you put on it???
Genius to dig out the underside like that.

Very cool!

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 9:36pm
post #6 of 18

Oh Debi, that is beautiful, I have seen cake stands made from tree trunks before on CC but the idea of carving some of it out is a brilliant idea, of course you have such beautiful trees in Indianna, I was totally in awe of them when we were there for the Indy 500.

indydebi Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 9:45pm
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Very cool!

Digging out the underside was MY idea! icon_biggrin.gif

I can easily put an 18" round cake on it with space left over. That's why I told him a long time ago to "keep an eye out" for a piece of wood 'coz I knew it would be tuff to find one this size. When he showed me the raw wood, I had to emphasize that he had to finish the sides (the bark) because that had to be totally sealed for the food safety thing. Didn't want any raw wood exposure that little critters might like to live in! icon_lol.gif

He really thought I was crazy and I had to explain a number of times why this was going to be popular stand!

auntbeesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntbeesbaking Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 9:46pm
post #8 of 18

How creative! What came to my mind immediately was a Yule Log - I hope that isn't too strange! Enjoy! icon_smile.gif

Oh, I just thought of another way to use it - if you do gingerbread houses; Hansel and Gretel keep coming to mind because of the wood.

CountryCakery4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CountryCakery4 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 11:11pm
post #9 of 18

What a super stand!! We live on 20 acres and are surrounded by beautiful trees (albeit small ones) so I can definitely see the appeal in this. I know I'd love a cake on it! Good job not letting his is incredulity put you off. icon_biggrin.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 11:52pm
post #10 of 18

Beautiful. I also love the wood work on the bottom.

I just wish I can find one of those in here. The only thing in Vegas are cactuses.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 12:36am
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Very cool!

Digging out the underside was MY idea! icon_biggrin.gif

That's why I said it was genius.

MaryAnnPriest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryAnnPriest Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 12:52am
post #12 of 18

LOVE IT!!! My cousin will want one for her wedding in the Adirondack Mtns., Upstate NY.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 3:40am
post #13 of 18

I really like this stand Debi. A fairy cake would look good on it too. Lots of possibilities there.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 3:02pm
post #14 of 18

Very, very cute. Anything outdoor's would go great! Shrek type of cakes, camping, hunting, and like JammJenks said - fairy stuff as well.

indydebi Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 3:11pm
post #15 of 18

I'll see Bill tomorrow at my BNI meeting and I will pass on all of you guys' compliments! Thanks so much, and especially for the add'l ideas!!

d3sc3n7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
d3sc3n7 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 11:29am
post #16 of 18

Wow...thats plain amazing. I think I'll go check out my (albeit small time now) plans with home depot this week/end. See what I can do.

Debi...plain amazing...if he will ship/sell those...let us know a price and availability so I can whine cause I cant afford it

indydebi Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 12:56pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3sc3n7

Wow...thats plain amazing. I think I'll go check out my (albeit small time now) plans with home depot this week/end. See what I can do.

Debi...plain amazing...if he will ship/sell those...let us know a price and availability so I can whine cause I cant afford it

They are custom made (like cakes). And I guarentee you'll pay more for shipping than you will for the stand. I can tell you I paid over $150 for mine.

I'm happy to share his contact info with anyone who is interested in contacting Bill for one. Here's his website: http://www.customfurniture4you.com/

conchita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conchita Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 9:40pm
post #18 of 18

OMG that is so cool
thanks for sharing

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%