Stacking A 4 Tiered Cake

Decorating By BakedbyLisa Updated 13 Jul 2009 , 4:40am by rvercher23

BakedbyLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakedbyLisa Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 9:50pm
post #1 of 8

I will be making my first 4 tiered cake (8,10,12,14) next week and I am a litte nervous. I plan on using foam board (1/4 inch) between each layer but I have never worked with it before. I have two questions, the first is can I use the bubble straws as support between the layers? I have always used wooden dowels but heard these were easier. Will they hold up the layers with the cake being so heavy? Also do I have to run a long wooden dowl straight down through all the tiers?
If anyone else has tips or suggestions for me I would greatly appreciate it!

Oh I just thought of one more thing, can I fully assemble and then transport? A little nervous at the thought of assembling on site. icon_confused.gif

7 replies
rvercher23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvercher23 Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 10:03pm
post #2 of 8

I always use foam board for my cakes. You should be fine using them. Yes bubble tea straws will be fine and stand up to the cake. Before I actually knew what I was doing I stacked a 7 tier cake with drinking straws, and they did fine. I would never do that now, but I know better! If you are going to deliver assembled I would recommend putting a central dowel. I never transport fully assembled, thats just me. Good Luck.!!!

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 10:48pm
post #3 of 8

I just completed a four teir wedding cake yesterday. I was scared to death. It was 14.12,9,6. Filled with fresh strawberries. I did the 14 and 12 stacked together with bubble straws and a wooden dowel down the center. I put the 9 and 6 together so there was two up and two down, flowers in the middle. But It was so heavy! I shaved the 6 and the 9 to make them smaller. I placed the wilton stakes down through the 12 inch and stacked the 9 and 6 on top with bubble straws. But If I do it again I'm going to use the sps system. I wasn't comfortable with my support system. Oh, I put the 9 and 6 in one box and carried the 14 and 12 on my lap then put them together when I got to the banquet.

BakedbyLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakedbyLisa Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:33am
post #4 of 8

rvercher23 I can't believe you used drinking straws on a 7 tiered cake and it held up. Someone was looking out for you! I guess I will go ahead and use the straws.

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 3:43am
post #5 of 8

I used the bubble straws when I did my cake.They're fat. Not like regular staws. Also You can find the real long dowels that will go through all four tiers at the hardware store. (Menards or Home depot) I would be too afraid to do a seven tier with any kind of straws. Sugashack's successful stacking DVD gives you a lot of help.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 4:01am
post #6 of 8

You can also use a combination of bubble tea straws and wooden dowels.

I would transport it assembled.

Good luck.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 4:16am
post #7 of 8

Two questions:
What thickness of foamcore do you recommend? and
What diameter wooden dowels do you recommend?
Thanks.

rvercher23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvercher23 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 4:40am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakedbyLisa

rvercher23 I can't believe you used drinking straws on a 7 tiered cake and it held up. Someone was looking out for you! I guess I will go ahead and use the straws.

I know! I cringe at the thought now! You live and learn!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%