'lovebird' Theme Wedding Cake.. Ideas & Recipes Needed!

Decorating By 4theloveofcake Updated 13 Jul 2009 , 7:31pm by icer101

4theloveofcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4theloveofcake Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 7:54pm
post #1 of 12

hey everyone!

my friend is getting married in august, and she asked me to do her wedding cake (i've only ever done one wedding cake before and it was my brothers so i'm really nervous!)

anyways, this is what she wants & i would like recipes for all of the following that will work really well for a wedding cake & hold fondant great.

cake: lemon
filling: raspberry (with real raspberry) and lemon curd
frosting: lemon buttercream

her theme is a lovebird theme
with the following colors as she stated: "mainly dark grey, chartreuse/bright limy yellow green, and like a vintage robin's egg blue"

also, the wedding is small (30-35 people) so i'm wondering if anyone has ideas for size.. she said either a 2 or 3 tier cake. i'd prefer not to do a dummy cake because i've never done one before & i don't really want it to look different from the other tier, so any ideas with that will help too!

i'm totally stumped for ideas but i want her cake to be amazing! any input is greatly appreciated!

11 replies
4theloveofcake Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 12

here are some pictures of the colors

Image (maybe a bit bluer than this)

icon_biggrin.gif thank you!

4theloveofcake Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 12:44am
post #3 of 12

bump

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 1:25am
post #4 of 12

I can see a dark gray birdhouse, with the robin egg colored bluebirds in front of it... the birdhouse being a small cake on pillars? The bottom tier could be grassy in the shade of green shown with some flowers? I'll do a search for birdhouse cakes! It sounds like a really neat cake to make!

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 1:35am
post #5 of 12
4theloveofcake Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 7:53pm
post #6 of 12

thanks for your ideas! but she is looking for 2 or 3 of the same shape tier (circle or square).. sorry i should have mentioned that icon_smile.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 9:39pm
post #7 of 12

here is the wilton serving guide http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm a 6 and an 8 inch would give you 36 servings.

so unless she pays for extra cake or the dummy layer (which looks like real cake, and is charged basically the same) sow wont be getting a three tier cake.

as for the cake, what ever your usual sponge and bc is, you can just add lemon to it - extract, zest, juice. there are some good recipes on here for rasberry and lemon fillings too.

those are some tricky colours to work in. does she want the cake white, with coloured details, or can it be coloured? im thinking egg blue love birds on top, some thing viney over the cake, which would work better in that yellowy green. its a shame that grey probably would be weird as flowers though! i wonder if the grey would do birds, and blue flowers.

im thinking cut out love birds in blue round the sides. you could have the cake the yellowy colour, grey piping details.

would she like retro circles, cause i think it would work in all those colours.

oh indydebi just posted a cake http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1412748
so thats like the grey colour on the hearts, you could also have yellow hearts, and blue love birds on top.
xx

Nancy_TX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nancy_TX Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 9:59pm
post #8 of 12

I just did a similar cake that could easily be made into a 2 or 3 tier cake. You could do the birds in the grey and chartreuse like love birds, instead of brown like this one. The blossoms on this one were a very pale moss green with moss green centers, but you'd probably want to adjust them to something more tropical to go with the theme.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1408172

4theloveofcake Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:40pm
post #9 of 12

hi everyone

thanks so much for all of your ideas! but i just talked to the bride, and i envisioned a fondant cake, but she just wants buttercream. the only thing that worries me is the weather. it is an outdoor wedding and i'm wonderng if there is a good lemon buttercream that can stand up to heat? or would i be safer to just use fondant? i live in canada, so its not really humid or anything, just hot.

4theloveofcake Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:40pm
post #10 of 12

hi everyone

thanks so much for all of your ideas! but i just talked to the bride, and i envisioned a fondant cake, but she just wants buttercream. the only thing that worries me is the weather. it is an outdoor wedding and i'm wonderng if there is a good lemon buttercream that can stand up to heat? or would i be safer to just use fondant? i live in canada, so its not really humid or anything, just hot. thanks!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 7:19pm
post #11 of 12

indydebi's bc is very good in the heat. but you might want to test it first so you know how it copes.
make sure she knows that if she wants the cake sitting outside for hours, then you cant guarentee that it will look as good as when it started. id be keeping it inside in the ac if needed for as long as possible.
plus if you are using fillings which may need refridgerated (depends how you choose to get that flavour - now id probably go for bc filling with the heat) then having it sitting outside is more questionable.
xx

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 7:31pm
post #12 of 12

sharon zambito has a good buttercream recipe and she shows how to make it on youtube.. edna , website.. designmeacake.com.. also shows how to ice a cake and has really good icing recipes on her site.hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%