Help!!! Can't Get Royal Icing On Cookies To Dry!!!

Decorating By kutabby Updated 13 Jul 2009 , 12:41pm by Delynn

kutabby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kutabby Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 7:40pm
post #1 of 6

I have 3dz cookies being picked up 90min that won't dry!!!!! They are NFSC w/ Antonia74 royal icing. They've been drying for almost 24hrs now - usually more than enough time. But, the humidity is HIGH today and the icing is SOOO sticky still icon_mad.gif I took them out of my drying rack and have them on my bed w/ 2 fans blowing directly on them.
What else can I do????? The poor woman was supposed to pick them up at noon and she was so nice to wait till 4. Thank goodness the party is later tonight!
Please, any ideas would be helpful!
Thanks!
Tabby

5 replies
sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 4:22am
post #2 of 6

I just saw your post, actually 3 of them and I'm really surprised no one was able to help icon_sad.gif Sorry so late, what did you end up doing?? Hope it worked out!!

Delynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delynn Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:46am
post #3 of 6

Sorry it's too late now but next time, maybe try stiffer icing (even when thinning and "flooding" within the outlines), OR if ANYTHING GREASY came in contact with your icing (ie. mixing bowl, beaters, spatula, bowls that you mixed colors in or even a toothpick that had been dipped in a jar of gel paste color, then into BC then in the jar again) it will CONTAMINATE YOUR ENTIRE BATCH OF ROYAL = IT WILL NEVER SET UP HARD. It happened to me ONCE, after that I wash EVERYTHING I need, to mix Royal Icing with, very THOROUGHLY with LOTS of Dawn dish soap. I even bought a separate dozen disposable containers to use STRICTLY for Royal Icing. There's absolutely nothing worse than spending so much time, mixing, coloring, filling bags, hours of decorating only for it to not set up. Yes, I bet humidity does NOT help either. Reflecting... I'm very thankful to have a window air conditioner when I have to do any decorating in hot/humid weather.

Hope it worked out. icon_redface.gif

RachieRach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RachieRach Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 2:20am
post #4 of 6

I've put cookies in a spare fridge to speed up drying.

LillyLou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LillyLou Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 9:31am
post #5 of 6

I've discovered that in addition to washing containers in Dawn dish detergent, put some vinegar in the rinse water and any grease that remains will be removed. I do that instead of having a set of containers that are dedicated to royal icing only.

The vinegar trick also works if you have dishes that are extraordinarily greasy. I use white vinegar but cider vinegar can help in a pinch.

Delynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delynn Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 12:41pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks LillyLou, I had forgot all about that trick. I wish I could remember everything I ever read about cakes, cookies, icing, gumpaste..... icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%