What You Don't Know Can Just About Kill You! Unreal Delivery

Business By Nchanted1 Updated 13 Jul 2009 , 4:05am by sweet-thing

Nchanted1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nchanted1 Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 6:08pm
post #1 of 10

I delivered a wedding today that came sooo close to disaster...

Bride said it was at her Aunt's house, outdoors, with a tent. OK. It was a 3 tier cake with 2 kitchen cakes and a honeymoon cake. For no particular reason, I decided to stack on site. Thank the Lord! Also, decided to take the SUV. My husband offered to come along, he usually doesn't.

God was looking out for me!

Got to the address, it's a palace. Built into a hillside, so the front door is on the top level, and there's 2 levels BELOW it on the back. That's a pretty steep hill. And there's not a soul there, and no tent! Panic! Am I at the right place? Check the contract, yes, it's correct. My husband went down behind the house, and spotted a tent through the trees. Waaaay over there....across a big field....about a MILE AND A HALF from the house.

Down another hill like stair steps...

with no road.

My heart sank! But we can hear a little music, this must be it.

So, we drove to the top of the first hill. Took out the cake tiers and walked them down, as there was no way we could do it in the car without damaging them. Then, hearts in our throats, drove the SUV down. Reloaded the cakes, drove a half mile. Unloaded the cakes, walked them down the really steep hill, drove down the hill of death, reloaded, could get the car to about 1/2 mile of the tent.

We CARRIED the cakes the rest of the way. Again, there was not a soul there. The reception was supposed to start in 45 minutes, no one on the site at all. Gorgeous site, a clearing in the tall trees beside a huge and beautiful brook, decorated tent with tables and flowers...No food in evidence, no drinks, nothing. Well, there was one thing...a smell of marijuana so strong we got dizzy! But still, not a soul!

I assembled the cake, decorated the table, took pics...no one there yet. Waited until the reception was supposed to start...Finally left when it looked like it was going to rain, which would make it impossible to get back up the hills.

I HATED to leave the cake unattended. What if a raccoon came? Or some deer? My DH saw a lot of deer tracks by the brook. But, I wasn't going to take the chance of getting stuck.

As we drove away, we speculated. How were they going to get hot food there? Were all the guests going to hike from the house? There were no Porta-potties there, which meant that anyone needing a bathroom would have a 3 mile hike roundtrip! And that last hill would be impossible in rain, which is predicted all afternoon.

Yikes! If I had stacked at home, if I had taken the sedan, if my husband had not come with me, if it had started raining 30 minutes sooner...Thank You Lord!

You can bet I will get a lot more specific details of outdoor wedding from now on!

9 replies
melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 11:36pm
post #2 of 10

so, where where all the guest?
I'm curious now.

melody

mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 12:55am
post #3 of 10

Sounds like a haunted wedding! icon_twisted.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:09am
post #4 of 10

they all smoked the pot...got the munchies....swiped all the food and took off further into the woods for a soiree with the cocktail weanies!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:47am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

they all smoked the pot...got the munchies....swiped all the food and took off further into the woods for a soiree with the cocktail weanies!

ROFLMAO!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

cakelady31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady31 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:59am
post #6 of 10

Good one!

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 3:50am
post #7 of 10

Unfortunately we all learn lessons sometimes the hard way. I have driven through pastures of cow pucky, severe potted Arkansas back roads, up to mountains with only one way up or down, venues where the door was not large enough for the cake to go through, old buildings where there was no elevator and had to climb several flights of stairs and been on roads where 5 miles an hour was too fast, to name a few. I always ask for very specific info, and if need be I will make a trip ahead to check it out. I charge extra for the sheer hassle, always take my emergency kit, keep my fingers crossed, and always make sure someone is there to accept the cake, with a photo to back me up.

cupcake Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 3:51am
post #8 of 10

Unfortunately we all learn lessons sometimes the hard way. I have driven through pastures of cow pucky, severe potted Arkansas back roads, up to mountains with only one way up or down, venues where the door was not large enough for the cake to go through, old buildings where there was no elevator and had to climb several flights of stairs and been on roads where 5 miles an hour was too fast, to name a few. I always ask for very specific info, and if need be I will make a trip ahead to check it out. I charge extra for the sheer hassle, always take my emergency kit, keep my fingers crossed, and always make sure someone is there to accept the cake, with a photo to back me up.

cupcake Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 3:52am
post #9 of 10

sweet-thing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet-thing Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 4:05am
post #10 of 10

Oh my!! Will you hear from the people to find out what happened? Ya just gotta laugh though.

all4cake...HILARIOUS!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%