How Much For This Cake? Tia :)

Decorating By Amymnn Updated 12 Jul 2009 , 2:15am by Amymnn

Amymnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amymnn Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 4:45pm
post #1 of 28

How much would you charge for this cake? I know I have to invest in Cake Boss to get my figures down, but I'm just curious how much my work is worth at this point in my skill level? The figures in front are chocolate transfers, fondant stars and the light sabers are lit up. Cake is all buttercream, torted and filled. Thanks so much for your input icon_smile.gif
LL

27 replies
Amymnn Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 5:38pm
post #2 of 28

Forgot to mention cake is 1/2 sheet with a star-shaped cake on top. Filled with whipped icing and buttercream.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 5:51pm
post #3 of 28

Like $3.50 per serving-ish for buttercream cake.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 5:52pm
post #4 of 28

You might want to give folks a little more time than an hour to respond.

What are the sizes of the tiers?

dinie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinie Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 5:57pm
post #5 of 28

What size of a cake is this? I had a customer order a 1/4 sheet white cake filled with chocolate ganache iced with buttercream, she wants it decorated to the hilt for a theme of 1950's I told her 35.00 and she said that she thought a 1/2 sheet would be that much. People just don't want to pay you for the time and ingredients. They think everything should be 20.00.
So good luck finding a price that people want to pay for our time and more.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 5:59pm
post #6 of 28

I can't price anything if I don't know what size it is or how many it's designed to serve.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 6:00pm
post #7 of 28

Dinie..... decorated to the hilt for 35$??? What's she been smokin'?

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 6:18pm
post #8 of 28

i am not too great with the pricing. i tend to keep on the low side cuz i always feel like i'm asking too much, lol. but honetsly, if i did that cake for a customer i would probably charge 45-50 depending on size. maybe 65? if i did it for a friend/family member i would charge 35-40. i know that's not a lot.

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 6:38pm
post #9 of 28

My starting price for tiered buttercream cakes is $3.50/serving - but I believe my skill level is more advanced and my prices reflect that. I believe beginners should start out at something a bit more reasonable - around $1.50-2.50/serving (depending on your area and skill level - I know there are areas where $1.50 is high!)

I know that's probably not what you want to hear though...

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 7:05pm
post #10 of 28

Not to pee in your cheerios, but what about the copyright issues related to starwars characters? The purchased candle on top is OK, but but the chocolate transfer figures are a no-go.

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 7:39pm
post #11 of 28

ha! pee on yur cheerios! ...niiiiccccee..... makes me never want to eat cheerios, lol

Amymnn Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 8:24pm
post #12 of 28

I was thinking around $45 - and FYI: I'm not selling cakes with licensed figures on them, nor would I ever do so.
I was just using the cake as an example. I'm learning to make cakes by doing for friends and family and enjoying the process.
Besides, I don't even like Cheerios.

Amymnn Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 8:29pm
post #13 of 28

OhMyGanache: I agree about beginner's prices. If someone is paying for a skill, they should pay for the level of expertise one demonstrates in their work. If the one photo you posted is a cake you did in 30 minutes, I can't imagine how amazing your other cakes must be!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 8:55pm
post #14 of 28

ASSUMING .... that when you say a half sheet, you mean the 12x18 (too many people have too many definitions of those terms, which is why I refuse to use them when talking cake or pricing with a client), and assuming it's a single layer cake (from what I can see in the pic).

Assuming the star is 2-layer (from what I can see in the pic).

I get $75 JUST for the single layer 12x18. Add a 2-layer star (serves 20? 25?) and all the extra's you did.

At least $150.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 9:12pm
post #15 of 28

How much for the toothpaste and mouthwash to get rid off all the blue dye from everyone's mouths afterwards too?? Just kidding. Kids love that stuff. Cute cake!

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 10:57pm
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amymnn

OhMyGanache: I agree about beginner's prices. If someone is paying for a skill, they should pay for the level of expertise one demonstrates in their work.

I told my husband the same thing ... it's like taking your car to the garage and having the Jr. mechanic work on it. He doesn't get to charge the same per hour as the Class A. I'm the Jr. Mechanic in this case ... but rising up to Class A!!

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 10:58pm
post #17 of 28

Duplicate Post Deleted

__Jamie__ Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 11:27pm
post #18 of 28

Amen.....still waiting for the $10/serving gig. It's not too far around the corner. I can feel it! icon_biggrin.gif

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 11:35pm
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Amen.....still waiting for the $10/serving gig. It's not too far around the corner. I can feel it! icon_biggrin.gif

I've actually had a few that worked out to about $15/serving... but they were sculpted and had a lot of detail. Those are few and far between though... *sigh*

__Jamie__ Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 11:46pm
post #20 of 28

Cool!

Amymnn Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 1:35am
post #21 of 28

Jamie: Yes to the blue teeth! I asked the mother about it today and she said she was ready for it - she had ordered blue-iced cupcakes from the bakery the day before and had kids with blue teeth grins! The party was at a really neat place with inflatable slides (indoors) so they were to busy to worry about their blue teeth anyway. It was a neat party and the cake was yummy, so I was happy with it icon_smile.gif

Amymnn Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 1:39am
post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

ASSUMING .... that when you say a half sheet, you mean the 12x18 (too many people have too many definitions of those terms, which is why I refuse to use them when talking cake or pricing with a client), and assuming it's a single layer cake (from what I can see in the pic).

Assuming the star is 2-layer (from what I can see in the pic).

I get $75 JUST for the single layer 12x18. Add a 2-layer star (serves 20? 25?) and all the extra's you did.

At least $150.

Sorry, I should have clarified - it was a 12x18 with a 2 layer star on top. I can't imagine charging $150, but maybe someday I'll be as good as the talent here! And if not, I plan to have fun trying! icon_smile.gif

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 1:53am
post #23 of 28

This is a very pretty cake, Great job. I just recently started charging for my cakes. Mostly for co-workers, neighbors, friends, & family. I would have charges no lewss then $45.00. I know...not what it is worth, & doesn't nearly pay for our time. It does however cover costs, and helps to make that all day or nighter a little worth it. I feel they would have spent near that for a PLAIN cake somewhere so I no longer feel bad charging that. GREAT JOB

indydebi Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 1:55am
post #24 of 28

Amymnn, let me tell you a story. When I joined CC a couple of years ago, my cake rate was $1.75/serving. I get on here and am AMAZED at the pricing folks were getting for their cakes. icon_surprised.gif

I'd been making cakes for 25+ years and thought I was pretty good at it. I find CC and tell myself that I should be ashamed to call myself a cake decorator compared to the fabulous cakes I saw on here.

I could have gone two ways: I could have thrown up my hands and said, "No way I can get those kind of prices (a) around here (b) at my skill level." But I went the other way. I said, "Well, heck, if THEY can get it, then *I* can get it!" In a very short time, I'm up to $3.50/serving for BC.

But CC also inspired me to get out of my very comfy and familiar box and try new things, new techniques, new ideas. Heck, I'm even working with "The Dreaded Fondant" pretty regularly now! icon_biggrin.gif

So stick with us CC'ers, kid! We'll carry you kicking and screaming to new cake heights that you've never even dreamed of! thumbs_up.gif

Amymnn Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 1:59am
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Amymnn, let me tell you a story. When I joined CC a couple of years ago, my cake rate was $1.75/serving. I get on here and am AMAZED at the pricing folks were getting for their cakes. icon_surprised.gif

I'd been making cakes for 25+ years and thought I was pretty good at it. I find CC and tell myself that I should be ashamed to call myself a cake decorator compared to the fabulous cakes I saw on here.

I could have gone two ways: I could have thrown up my hands and said, "No way I can get those kind of prices (a) around here (b) at my skill level." But I went the other way. I said, "Well, heck, if THEY can get it, then *I* can get it!" In a very short time, I'm up to $3.50/serving for BC.

But CC also inspired me to get out of my very comfy and familiar box and try new things, new techniques, new ideas. Heck, I'm even working with "The Dreaded Fondant" pretty regularly now! icon_biggrin.gif

So stick with us CC'ers, kid! We'll carry you kicking and screaming to new cake heights that you've never even dreamed of! thumbs_up.gif

Thank you for this inspiration! No kicking and screaming from me, I'm humbled by the talent here and ready to learn, learn and learn some more! icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:07am
post #26 of 28

Oh pul-lease! They had to hog-tie me, throw me over their shoulder, and drop me over the fence into fondant country and THEN i had to confess how much I liked working with it! icon_lol.gif

Old Dogs ... New Tricks .... that's a wives tale! icon_lol.gif

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:09am
post #27 of 28

Amymnn,
I love your avatar......I didn't know there was a book like that (I probably could use it) but I shouldn't be surprised, I think there is one for everything. Any great tips in there?

Amymnn Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:15am
post #28 of 28

newnancy: I actually like the book, but I read everything I can get my hands on about cake decorating. I'm either nodding my head thinking yeah! I knew that already or thinking ohhh, I hadn't thought about doing it that way. Either way, I like it icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%