Styro-Foam Tier Question

Decorating By Creative_chika Updated 11 Jul 2009 , 3:36pm by Creative_chika

Creative_chika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creative_chika Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 6

I recieved an email from a lady who would like me to creat a three tier cake, but she "only want the bottom layer to be real cake as we are only going to have about 20 people at the party ( trying to keep it small)."

I'm thinking that it would be almost the same price as a real cake or am I wrong. How much would you charge for the stryo foam cakes? I'm planning on covering in fondant. Its going to be a Hannah Montana theme not too complicated. I've never done the whole styro foam thing for sale- so I'm not sure what to charge

I'd really appreciate any help!!!! I'm kinda lost with this one. icon_redface.gif

Thanks!

5 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 8:26pm
post #2 of 6

Charge the same as if it were real cake. The dummy is going to cost around the same as your cake batter for the same amount (maybe slightly less if you use expensive ingredients).

What do you really charge for, though? The decorating!! Whether you're decorating a cake, a chunk of styrofoam or the top of Uncle Fred's head, it's your ART that they're paying you for.

Creative_chika Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 6

Thats what I thought when I did the math. Its almost the same for both.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 5:43am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

Charge the same as if it were real cake. The dummy is going to cost around the same as your cake batter for the same amount (maybe slightly less if you use expensive ingredients).

What do you really charge for, though? The decorating!! Whether you're decorating a cake, a chunk of styrofoam or the top of Uncle Fred's head, it's your ART that they're paying you for.

That cracked me up!! icon_cry.gificon_lol.gif Thanks for the laugh!

I agree with Diane, charge the same thumbs_up.gif

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 5:53am
post #5 of 6

Charge the same, but maybe design it so that they can keep the top tiers. Just lift it off before cutting the cake and have it as a centerpiece or something.

Creative_chika Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 3:36pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the ideas!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%