Now....i Am Going To Vent

Business By Danielle1218 Updated 13 Jul 2009 , 7:58pm by dynee

Danielle1218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danielle1218 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 4:05pm
post #1 of 6

I normally don't get on here to vent about some idiot that wants a cake, but after reading what other people go through, I had to share.

First off....let me say that my first job is a teacher. I decorate cakes on the side and most of my business comes from word of mouth through school. I am also not in this to become rich, but I do put the extra money away for vacation, christmas...etc.

So anyway...there is a girl in my class who was a senior this year. She comes to me back in March and wants me to make a cake for her sisters bridal shower (which by the way is tomorrow July 11). So I comend her for getting a jump on things. SHe brings me in two pictures of 4 tier wedding cakes and I say to her "is this for the wedding or the shower?". She says "oh this is kinda what we want for the shower". So I ask "how many people are you inviting" and she tells me "75". So I procede to tell her that these cakes are wedding cakes and they would serve about 400 people and that I could come up with something on a smaller scale and only charge her a flat $75.00. Sounds fair, don't you think?????

I'll also throw in here that this student is not on the up and up. Lives with her boyfriend, barely graduated from high school.....a "real piece of work" to put it nicely.

So I hear nothing until about a month ago. She e-mails me through our school account and says "we have decided that we can't afford $75 so can you make a cake for $50?" Ha ha ha, yeah right....but I figure I can whip something together for this wack-o family (by the way...the bride is the only normal one in the family....I'll get to that point later). SO I tell this dingbat that yes, I wll do something for $50.

So....2 weeks ago, she e-mails me a picture of ANOTHER 4 TIER cake that they want now with sugar paste plumeria flowers on it. OK...I have been doing this side gig for 3 years now and I have never made sugar paste flowers, nor am I going to even try for $50. I would rather go to the dollar store and pick out some fake ones and stick on this cake....grrrrr.

So....I email her back and again tell her that this cake is TOOOOOOO big for a shower for 50-75 people. Please call me as this e-mailing is not getting the point across.

So.....I have not heard anything since then. I ran into this girls mom last Sunday July 5th and told her, please have her call me as this cake she has picked out is too big. SO the mother says....oh yes, I wll have her call you right away.

So....here is it Friday July 10...I have heard nothing from these wack-o's. So I decide, they are getting whatever I feel like making for them. BUT....before I begin baking today, I think I better check my e-mail "just in case" GOOD THING I DID. This girl had e-mailed me on Sunday July 5th and says in one sentence...."Hi, we don't need your cake, we have decided to go with someone else. Thanks anyway"

No thank you....you just saved me a nightmare in dealing with your wack-o family.

Oh, by the way....they live up the road from my parents. The bride contacted me about 3 weeks ago to make her wedding cake. She says to me "I hear you make cakes for $1 per person" I said no....wedding cakes start at $2.00 per person. I ask her how many are invited....she tells me 300. I hope when the sister said "We don't need your cake, we have decided to go with someone else" she also meant the wedding cake. A friend of mine is in the wedding so I will ask her what the deal is. I personally hope they want nothing to do with me or my cakes.

What a bunch of idiots.

Thanks for reading ....I hope someone out there can get a chuckle out of this. Good thing is....I now have the whole day and night to myself. Yippee

5 replies
IsaSW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IsaSW Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 4:54pm
post #2 of 6

Danielle1218,
Thanks for sharing your story,
Its always good to hear stories like these, so we can be ready when crazy clients come to us.

Carolina

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 5:14pm
post #3 of 6

Am I crazy, or did I read this exact same post a couple of days ago with a slightly different title? That one had more than one response.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 5:15pm
post #4 of 6

Dynee...it probably got posted several times, like most things are, and someone found it lost in the "old" stuff. Yes, this was a popular thread a little while ago.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 5:20pm
post #5 of 6

I bet this was from a duplicate post, "separated at birth", and they went in different directions.

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 7:58pm
post #6 of 6

Jamie, Thanks I really thought I had just imagined the other post. Cutthecake..I like that separated at birth theory.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%