New And Need Some Help

Decorating By gloritz Updated 10 Jul 2009 , 4:37pm by matthewkyrankelly

gloritz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gloritz Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 3:25pm
post #1 of 5

I am planning a birthday cake for September, so I have some time to think, but I want to make butterflies and daisies to go on the cake for a 3D effect and not sure how to make these, I see so many different options and not sure the best way to do this. I want them to look elegant if possibly and not just cut out of fondant or piped on. Thanks for any tips

4 replies
snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 3:37pm
post #2 of 5

There is a tutorial on this site for making edible butterflies out of rice paper... it's very time consuming, but the butterflies are very realistic and beautiful! I am dying to try it, but just haven't really had the time. You can also make them out of gumpaste folding the wings back while they dry, and then paint with petal dust.

holly4409 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holly4409 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 5

i would try gumpaste. you can color it before you make them and use luster dust.

and you could even try them now because the gumpaste won't go bad if you like it and save them for the cake in sept. and if you don't, you will have enough time to try something else

HTH

i will try to find a link for a tutorial or article...

holly4409 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holly4409 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 5

http://cakecentral.com/article16-How-To-Make-Realistic-Edible-Butterflies.htm

these look pretty. like snocilla said, i am dying to try them too...

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 4:37pm
post #5 of 5

Did you check at Fancy Flours(no spacing) They had some butterflies that might help you if you wanted to "partially make" them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%