A Bit Of Advice On Stacking

Decorating By busymum Updated 10 Jul 2009 , 12:28pm by busymum

busymum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymum Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 11:46am
post #1 of 3

Hi, I am planning my daughters christening cake and I am new to cake decorating but thought I would have a go.
My plan is to make a fruit cake and then marzipan and fondant ice that cake and then I am going to make some baby building blocks to go on the top, I have decided the best method would be to make the blocks out of cake and trim them to size then ice them individually (again with fondant icing) but I am not sure how to go about putting them on top of the main cake, will I need to dowel them, do I have to use a cake board to seperate or will I just be ok to put them directly onto the top of the main cake (they will have an uniced side for the bottom).

Any help that anyone can offer will be gratefully received.

2 replies
Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 12:13pm
post #2 of 3

I would think it depends upon how big you want to make your blocks icon_smile.gif

Intuitively I would say 'no dowling needed'...but I would be making like 5cm blocks.

Alternatively, you can make very light blocks from 6 x 5cm chocolate squares (about 3mm thick), or just gumpaste 5cm squares (again, just 3mm thick) and join them at each edge with royal icing and beaded for neatness. You can also pipe over each side in any baby-themed motif.

I actually would prefer the second technique over covering cubes of fruitcake with fondant etc. Both for the simplicity of assembly AND the end product icon_smile.gif

Good luck with it!

busymum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymum Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 12:28pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you for you reply, I would not be making the blocks very big so I might make them out of chocolate cake.
I was also thinking of making them out of fondant icing, I have some silver colouring/paint on colour that I intend to use on them and then attach the relevant letter. Got my letter cutters this morning and they are smaller than I thought so the blocks will not need to be as big as I originally thought.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%