Cake Too Moist? Looks Pretty, But Melts Too Much In Mouth

Decorating By mistymamas Updated 10 Jul 2009 , 12:25pm by 2SchnauzerLady

mistymamas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistymamas Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 7:28am
post #1 of 4

This sounds strange and silly - but I used a Duncan Hines dark chocolate fudge box cake and it came out TOO moist. It looks beautiful, completely cooked through (I trimmed the tops and it is thoroughly cooked).

But once it hits your mouth, it practically melts and tastes like batter. Has the consistency of batter also once its in your mouth for a few seconds. I heard the term "melt in your mouth" but this does not taste or feel right. there is no consistency to the cake, you dont even have to chew it. Does not seem right. I feel like I should go back to my Duncan Hines german chocolate boxed cake. That one always came out perfect.

What happened? I followed the recipe to the T.

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 11:55am
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistymamas

This sounds strange and silly - but I used a Duncan Hines dark chocolate fudge box cake and it came out TOO moist. It looks beautiful, completely cooked through (I trimmed the tops and it is thoroughly cooked).

But once it hits your mouth, it practically melts and tastes like batter. Has the consistency of batter also once its in your mouth for a few seconds. I heard the term "melt in your mouth" but this does not taste or feel right. there is no consistency to the cake, you dont even have to chew it. Does not seem right. I feel like I should go back to my Duncan Hines german chocolate boxed cake. That one always came out perfect.

What happened? I followed the recipe to the T.

I don't know--maybe because it is a fudge cake--it sounds like maybe you are describing the fudginess?

jennabell441 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennabell441 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 12:14pm
post #3 of 4

That's wierd. Whenever I use that mix I think it smells a little burnt. It tastes fine, but doesn't smell very appetizing right out of the oven.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 12:25pm
post #4 of 4

When I used that flavor, I baked it a little too long (I thought), the sides were slightly separated from the pan (it was my first time using a flower nail in the pan) - but it came out really moist, except for the edges, and tasted like it was done, no cake batter taste. Everyone at work flipped over it! I used a simple syrup made with coffee instead of water to moisten the dry edges.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%