***gumpaste Figures***

Decorating By cupcakesnbuttercream Updated 10 Jul 2009 , 1:54pm by BeeBoos-8599_

cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 9:53pm
post #1 of 19

For the members who make gumpaste figures:
How much do you add to the total cost of the cake if you have made gumpaste figures for it? or if you were to sell the figures, how much would you sell them for?
I have a request for baby pooh & friends( pooh bear, owl, eyore, tigger, piglet)

***Even if you don't make figures....i'd still like to hear your opinion, so don't hit that back button before leaving a comment....yea, I'm calling you lurkers out....***

18 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 10:21pm
post #2 of 19

Pooh and 'friends' are copyrighted characters and are not suppose to be recreated in any form for payment.

I've made some figures but haven't really added to the cost of the cake. In most cases the figures were the main decorations (and weren't overly detailed) and I didn't have to do a lot of other decorating. If I was to charge for them I'd consider the cost of the gumpaste and factor in time for making them.

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 10:25pm
post #3 of 19

Thanks for your response.....

anyone else???

saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 10:33pm
post #4 of 19

I suppose it depends on the size and the detail of each one, but I would expect to pay $5-20 for each one. And I'm cheap, so maybe you could charge more.

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 10:42pm
post #5 of 19

lol...
I know detail, size, difficulty are all factors in the price...I'm just looking for a little feedback...i guess this is a topic that people don't want to discuss???

ChefAngie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefAngie Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 10:44pm
post #6 of 19

We are artist.
Cost out your ingredients: gumpaste, colors- luster dust, airbrush etc.
If the figure cost you 5.00 to make, sell it for 15.00- 20.00 in addition with the cake. Remember these are specially made for your client.
Your time is not free.
Happy Baking and Decorating,
Chef Angie

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 10:47pm
post #7 of 19

Thanks so much angie, that's some info i like to hear icon_smile.gif

CALI_GIRL_CAKES Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CALI_GIRL_CAKES Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 10:54pm
post #8 of 19

yea, I'm calling you lurkers out

I guess that would be someone like me....wanted to see what people responded with. I only make figures for family and friends so I would have no idea what I could charge. (see, no back button here.)

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 10:55pm
post #9 of 19

You still have to consider time that goes into it. If it is a very detailed piece that takes you 3 hours to make, and it cost you $5 to make, then you are only making $5 an hour, at $20.

It is hard to give an exact price for a figure, when you don't know the size or detail to it, because those do factor in. A small 2in tall shape that takes you 5 mins to make isn't going to be the same as a 6in tall shape that takes hours to make. It is also hard to give prices because pricing varies by regions and states.

In my opinion it is hard to set a price for figures for what they are really worth. A lot of people may balk at $10 or $15 for a small little figure on a cake, especially if they are asking for several of them on a cake.

Asking for pricing help on here is often gonna leave you with still wondering what to charge because people will give you tons of different ways to figure it and prices that they charge. In the end you have to go with a figure you are comfortable with.

shari22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shari22 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 11:06pm
post #10 of 19

I agree with Angie. The products aren't really that expensive, it's the time you put into it. Hope this helps! And by the way ,i've made every character you can imagine, lol. The Angelica in my pics along with the cake came out to like $25. But that was 10 years ago.

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 11:06pm
post #11 of 19

lol.....well since you did respond, you're no longer a lurker...you're an active participant...

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 11:07pm
post #12 of 19

Ahhh, I love it when I have perfect timing. I would like to say first off that I think people "lurke" due to titles that are not very specific so they want to see exactly what the post is about. Your title was slightly vague so I am sure you have gotten some so called lurkers out of curiosity.

Ok, now on to your question. I make decorations and mail them to customers who want to do a cake but do not have the ability to decorate them. I have them send me the size they want and when I get either a picture of the person or thing they want I scetch it out and email them with a quote that includes shipping. Normally I charge based on how many hours I feel it will take me, add the cost of materials and then my shipping cost. If it is a rush order I add what I feel is reasonable for that request. You have to allmost forget you are decorating cakes and charge for the figures on thier own merits.

I hope that helps you.

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 11:12pm
post #13 of 19

hmmm....and here i go thinking 'gumpaste figures' would mean that my thread is about gumpaste figures....

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 12:00am
post #14 of 19

Ok, "Gumpast Figures" could mean alot of things. I would have put "What do you charge for gumpaste Figures" but to each her own. Sorry I tried to help.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 12:00am
post #15 of 19

Sure .. The title Gumpaste figures would imply your thread is about gumpaste figures, but what about them? How do I make XYZ figure? Where do I get XYZ to make figure? Has anyone made XYZ figure?

Just because someone looks at a post and doesn't reply doesn't necessarily make them a lurker... Maybe they don't have an answer to your particular question..

We all need to remember that when posting on here the people reading may not be able to interpret in what way something is being said... Sometimes when people say something it will come off in a totally different way.

My opinion would be along the same lines as TexasSugar.. It is Illegal to reproduce and sell licensed characters so there really isn't any way to advise you on what to charge.. You can't legally do it..

But you are free to handle your business in any way you like , so that would be your decision.

I know that a lot of people charge around $10 each for *UNLICENSED* figures , so you may want to figure in the cost of being sued and the fees you could incur by replicating copyrighted material. So maybe about $10,000 each figure would help offset those fines.

It appears by your posts that you are just going to dismiss or respond with a snarky remark to anyone who answers your question with anything other than what YOU want to hear, so feel free to do that to this also, just don't expect many people to want to engage your questions.

Happy Caking and Good Luck...

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 4:26am
post #16 of 19

Hahahah .. People who feel they must be assertive and demanding are usually the opposite...

I have no problem with what people choose to make .. The Hundreds of other people on here aren't trying to sell *UNLICENSED* figures they make, they are for personal use. You asked for replies so you got em.. I have seen your other posts and you seem to get quite demanding thinking everyone who looks at your post must answer you in some way immediately. Then when someone tells you something you don't particularly like you snap back with a smart a$$ remark...

Quote:
Quote:

oh, and don't comment back...but "feel free" to start another thread complaining about "people who don't like your answer to their questions"

I don't need to start Drama threads , I just don't like it when People have to be demanding and rude to VALUED members of this community.

And now I will "feel Free" to put you on the list of people to avoid.. So far you are the only one on the list.. At least you are #1! hahahhah

"Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something,
and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent." The Dalai Lama

Peace be with you...

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 4:43am
post #17 of 19

I don't have the time or energy to go back and forth with you or anyone else....I won't be commenting anymore.

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 10:42am
post #18 of 19

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thumbsdown.gif

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 1:54pm
post #19 of 19

Jamieann is my new hero! LMAO

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%