Airbrush Color And Fondant

Decorating By cakediva01 Updated 10 Jul 2009 , 6:18pm by Kiddiekakes

cakediva01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakediva01 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 8:06pm
post #1 of 8

I hope someone can help me out with some information. I recently purchased an airbrush and would like to be able to airbrush fondant. If I do that, is there a special set of colors available that are alcohol based or can I use water based colors? If I need to use alcohol... then do I buy powered colors and mix with vodka? I'd appreciate any help I could get. detective.gif

7 replies
andiesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andiesweet Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 8:22pm
post #2 of 8

I use airbrush colors thinned with lemon extract (you could also use vodka). If you use the airbrush color straight out of the bottle it will be waaayyyy too dark, it is made to be thinned down. the less extract ( or alcohol) you use the darker more intense the color will be. I also use powdered colors as well in my airbrush, super pearl, gold etc... same thing thin with lemon extract. the wholesalers should have large bottles available, try sams, costco gfs etc. If you can't find lemon extract use vodka, although i found that it took longer to dry. It leaves no "boozy" taste not to worry. hope this helps

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 8:36pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by andiesweet

I use airbrush colors thinned with lemon extract (you could also use vodka). If you use the airbrush color straight out of the bottle it will be waaayyyy too dark, it is made to be thinned down. the less extract ( or alcohol) you use the darker more intense the color will be. I also use powdered colors as well in my airbrush, super pearl, gold etc... same thing thin with lemon extract. the wholesalers should have large bottles available, try sams, costco gfs etc. If you can't find lemon extract use vodka, although i found that it took longer to dry. It leaves no "boozy" taste not to worry. hope this helps

I've never heard of thinning down air brush color. I've always used it straight from the bottle as that is what it is made for and what is shown on all the air brushing DVDs I have seen

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 8:37pm
post #4 of 8

Dup post

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 8:38pm
post #5 of 8

I repectfully disagree with Andiesweet....The specific airbrush colors made for an airbrush are not made to be watered down.You use them right out of the bottle.You can tone them done with white if you want a lighter shade such as lavender purple as I agree the purple is way to dark.There is also a new line of metallic sheens out by a few suppliers like Luck's and Americolor so you don't have to mix lustre dusts any longer.They come in Pearl,Gold,Silver,Bronze and several colored sheens like red etc...You no longer run the risk of clogging your airbrush with particles from powders or gel pastes.

cakediva01 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 5:57pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

I repectfully disagree with Andiesweet....The specific airbrush colors made for an airbrush are not made to be watered down.You use them right out of the bottle.You can tone them done with white if you want a lighter shade such as lavender purple as I agree the purple is way to dark.There is also a new line of metallic sheens out by a few suppliers like Luck's and Americolor so you don't have to mix lustre dusts any longer.They come in Pearl,Gold,Silver,Bronze and several colored sheens like red etc...You no longer run the risk of clogging your airbrush with particles from powders or gel pastes.

Thanks for your information, but even if I don't thin down the airbrush color, if I want to use it on fondant, should I cut it with something alcohol based? If so, about what proportions?

cakediva01 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 5:57pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Thanks for your information, but even if I don't thin down the airbrush color, if I want to use it on fondant, should I cut it with something alcohol based? If so, about what proportions?

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 6:18pm
post #8 of 8

No you don't need to cut it down...The color is formulated to be sprayed on fondant,BC,gumpaste etc...You just have to know how close to get to the fondant so it doesn't puddle.....Also if you have a knob on your airbrush that you can turn up and down to control the pressure of the spray.I have the Kopykake Airmaster and it has this so when I am spraying fine items like fondant pieces or gumpaste that I don't want to blow away or a hole in ....I turn down the pressure.I change color tints by adding other colors or toning down darker colors with white.Hope that Helps!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%