Indiana Becomes A Home-Based Baking State

Business By homebasedbaking Updated 10 Jul 2009 , 6:54pm by indydebi

homebasedbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homebasedbaking Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 4:52pm
post #1 of 11

In the last legislative session (State of Indiana), an exemption was added for home-based processing of products that are not potentially hazardous food products and are sold at a farmers market or roadside stands (see statute below). The link below is guidance from the Indiana State Department of Health regarding this exemption:

http://www.in.gov/isdh/files/HEA_1309_guidance_final_6_11_09.pdf

If you have further questions, I would recommend contacting the Indiana State Department of Health, Division of Food Protection. Their main phone number is 317/233-7360 and email is [email protected].

How is this important to bakers? A number of bakeries have closed in recent months and a number of pastry chefs/bakers are losing their jobs. If you are interested in starting a home-based bakery there are 13 states that have "cottage laws" which allow state citizens to bake from home and sell to the public for profit.

The state of Alabama passed a "cottage law" on April 21, 2009 so bakers can now start a home-based bakery in AL.

Hoping bakers who need to...will take advantage of this...I am available to answer questions about home food processing, I teach (How to Operate a Home-Based Bakery face-to-face/nationwide) for Wake County Public School System Lifelong Learning in Raleigh NC...North Carolina is also a home-based baking state.

If you would like to learn more please email me at [email protected]

10 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 5:07pm
post #2 of 11

But you still have to sell only at a Farmer's Market. Not directly from your house.

LynnZClaire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LynnZClaire Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 11

hmmmm, interesting to know about NC. I wasn't aware of that. If you live on a state line, what are the rules about selling to the other state that does not have a "cottage law" ie. NC and SC?

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 7:35pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnZClaire

hmmmm, interesting to know about NC. I wasn't aware of that. If you live on a state line, what are the rules about selling to the other state that does not have a "cottage law" ie. NC and SC?

I have heard that you can only sell within your state and that you can't sell to the other state. You might want to find out what the law is in SC. I don't think that's a state that you can be licensed out of your own kitchen.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 7:46pm
post #5 of 11

Does anyone know what the 13 stated with cottage laws are?

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 9:00pm
post #6 of 11

www.texascottagefoodlaw.com/facts.htm

Denay - do you have a link to the Alabama law?

cylstrial Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 9:03pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks for that link KelleyM! I decided to print a copy!

kbgieger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbgieger Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 9:19pm
post #8 of 11

Here's the info on Alabama...

http://www.fma.alabama.gov/HomeProc.aspx

Karen

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 9:58pm
post #9 of 11

I'm reading the Alabama information as applying to Farmer's Markets only. Can anyone clarify?

cylstrial Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 11:33pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleym

I'm reading the Alabama information as applying to Farmer's Markets only. Can anyone clarify?

Sounds that way to me too!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 6:54pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

But you still have to sell only at a Farmer's Market. Not directly from your house.

Correct. Cannot sell from your home. Cannot sell to restaurants or other commercial businesses. Must be labeled with ingredients AND must be clearly labeled that it's made in an uninspected kitchen. Product must exchange hands in a Farmer's Market, Roadside stand.

The original bill was called the Home Processor's Bill but the verbage was drastically changed and it was changed to the Farmer's Market bill. The phrase "home processor" was noticeably removed.

There is a lot of add'l info in some other threads on this topic.

Best advice is to contact your local health dept to see how to comply with HB1309.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%