Melting/molding With Chocolate Chips?

Decorating By clovely Updated 10 Jul 2009 , 1:35am by clovely

clovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clovely Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 1:59pm
post #1 of 3

I'm trying to make this...
http://www.instructables.com/id/Star-Wars-Cake-Mustafar/

Not my idea. My friend bought all the stuff and planned to do it then had to go out of town unexpectedly and I said I'd do it. So she gave me several bags of chocolate chips...I figured I'd try to use what she had already bought - and I've covered the big RKT mountain with melted chocolate chips - is this going to work? Is this ever going to get hard? I've got to have this dumb thing done tonight!

She also gave me white chocolate chips for those little disc platforms (I've seen the movie but think I fell asleep by this part - no clue what this even is I'm trying to make). I couldn't even get the WC chips to melt right at all so I'm headed back to the store anyway. REALLY wishing I had told her I didn't have time to do this, which I really don't.

Am I going to have to redo the huge chocolate piece? Will it harden by this evening so I can try to put it on the cake?!??!

2 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 12:58am
post #2 of 3

I've never had a problem with melted chocolate not harden. Try putting it in the fridge to harden quicker--that's what I do.

clovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clovely Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 1:35am
post #3 of 3

the chocolate chips stayed pretty soft...but it turned out OK because it let me bend some pieces over the edges and use it kinda like a paste to attach pieces. I also got almond bark today and did some pieces with that as well. The gooey chocolate was such a mess but, like I said, for some of it I was glad I had it. I just posted the final cake in my photos (I think it'll take a few minutes more to show up). I'm excited it all came together even if it was just a copy of someone else's ideas.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%