Hi Guys, I'm New Here But Hoping You Could Help Me

Decorating By Ali_Woods Updated 12 Jul 2009 , 5:58am by Ruth0209

Ali_Woods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ali_Woods Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 5:39am
post #1 of 12

I've made a lovely rich dark chocolate cake for a friends birthday cake in the weekend and I have a dark chocolate ganache recipe I'd like to use under my top layers of fondant, but I'm curious about how to layer in some Baileys Liqueur, do I just brush the alcohol straight onto the layers of cake?

This is probably a really ditzy question for most of you, but I'd really appreciate the wisdom within the forum.

Thanks Ali icon_biggrin.gif

11 replies
miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 5:52am
post #2 of 12

Why don't you add it to your ganache? It'll make it to die for!!! BTW I want to welcome you to CC and congratulations on your first post thumbs_up.gif

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 7:59am
post #3 of 12

Hi there, welcome to CC and totaly agree with miny. You can add baileys to your ganache! icon_smile.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 8:02am
post #4 of 12

I would get a brush and brush it lightly onto the cake. Honestly though, I would feel that it would be too rich with the liquer. I want a desert that makes you want to grab some more.

Ali_Woods Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 10:27pm
post #5 of 12

Thank you for your feedback and lovely welcome to the site.

Look forward to participating in your discussions icon_smile.gif

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 10:43pm
post #6 of 12

hi and welcome!
if you are concerned about straight bailey's being to overwhelming, you could make a sugar syrup (which you brush over the layers) and flavor it with baileys to get just a hint of the taste.
diane

Ali_Woods Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 10:54pm
post #7 of 12

I made the recipe for Peggy Porschen's Romantic Cakes book and everything about it seems to very rich which I'm ok with, but she made mention of layering hers with dark choccie ganache and bailey's being a favourite adaption but made no mention of how she does that.

I'm such a novice and sometimes it just needs someone to spell out the technique. icon_redface.gif

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 11:45pm
post #8 of 12

If the recipe said ganache AND baily's then it's probably incorporated in it. Good luck on your delicious try out! icon_biggrin.gif

Ali_Woods Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 12:46am
post #9 of 12

Thank you so much icon_biggrin.gif

Ali_Woods Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 5:46am
post #10 of 12

Thank you guys for your advice .... I put a little baileys in with the ganache and on the centre layer of cake I spread a small amount of original baileys on, *shrug* not sure if that was too much, I have had a cracker review of the cake and by the sounds of it the small amount of liqueur that was used was really complimentary to the rich dark chocolate.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1412663.html < my end result icon_smile.gif

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 5:55am
post #11 of 12

i have a recipe for a regular 9" one recipe cake i use 4 Tabelspoons of baileys and it is not too much. i thought it wouldbe too, but it's perfect. 2T for the filling and 2T go in the icing for it

btw, i would love to hear your reciep icon_smile.gif

i have been wanting to try the ganache under the fondant adn for filling but am not sure what kind of cake it will go with. the funny thing is, i really have never liked cake, lol. i have been decorating for a short while and am starting to like it now. i guess that's a bit ironic. of course it pains me when someone orders plain vanilla with plain vanilla filling/icing, lol. i am just weird like that icon_smile.gif

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 5:58am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

I would get a brush and brush it lightly onto the cake. Honestly though, I would feel that it would be too rich with the liquer. I want a desert that makes you want to grab some more.

Too rich? Whatever does that mean? icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%