Will This Cake Be Okay To Travel With?

Decorating By laneycake Updated 8 Jul 2009 , 8:16pm by icer101

laneycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laneycake Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 7:06pm
post #1 of 9

Hi all. I am making the cake attached for a wedding in a few weeks. The bride wants it frosted in buttercream, however, the accents will be in fondant. I am a bit concerned b/c I have to travel with the cake about 60 miles to deliver. Do you think it'll be okay? I'm a little hesitant with the fondant on the buttercream and the sliding issue...any input is greatly appreciated! TIA!
LL

8 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 7:13pm
post #2 of 9

1. The fondant motifs will not slide off.
2. It will be very heavy. I would not be able to lift it. You may very well need two people just to wrestle it into the venue. Do you know if there are steps at the venue?
3. Use SPS.

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 7:16pm
post #3 of 9

I do it all of the time. Just make sure you have good air conditioning, get the car cool before you load it in the car, should be fine.

Reyna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reyna Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 7:30pm
post #4 of 9

i would suggest stack it and finish the details on location i guess it depends on where it is, the wedding cake i did i stacked and finished there a couple hours before the wedding. i could not risk anything happening!!

abruntz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abruntz Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 7:44pm
post #5 of 9

I am with Reyna, I think you should stack it on location. I just feel more comfortable doing it this way. I have had a oppsie with a cake already stacked and it didn't end well. Just be prepared to stay at the venue at least an hour to set up. Good luck with whatever you choose. Should you go stacked I am with cathyscakes make sure you refrigerate at least over night and have the car all cooled and ready before you put the cake in it. Again good luck the cake is beautiful please post the final product I would like to see it.

laneycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laneycake Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 7:58pm
post #6 of 9

Thank you so much for the suggestions! I think I will take the advice of stacking it at the venue. I think I would be a nervous wreck traveling with it stacked- didn't even occur to me how heavy it would be.

Now, to do the fondant accents there or not. I might save the triangles for on site, then do everything else at home.

Thank you SO MUCH for all of your advice...you guys rock!! I'll post pics after its done!

LillyLou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LillyLou Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 8:04pm
post #7 of 9

I vote that you do them on site. I'd rather not risk having an oopsie like abruntz mentioned. I've got a 3 tier cake that I'm making for a wedding this weekend and I'm stacking and applying any fondant on site but I've got a lot less mileage to go than you do, Laneycake. Mine's within the city limits, maybe less than 10 miles. The suggestions for getting the AC going ahead of time & cooling the car down are terrific.

honeyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeyscakes Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 8:10pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyscakes

I do it all of the time. Just make sure you have good air conditioning, get the car cool before you load it in the car, should be fine.

YUP!
I would suggest stacking the bottom 3 tiers and decorate them.Keep the bow in a separate box. and the top tier in another box ( just so I won't be a nervous wreck driving a 4 tier cake for about 60 miles) I agree it will be VERY heavy with 4 tiers.
Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif YOU CAN DO IT!!! it shouldn't be a big issue if your cakes are braced securly inside.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 8:16pm
post #9 of 9

it is a beautiful cake. i would stack the bottom and next tier.. carry the other two seperate. and use the sps as leahs points out.. have all done that you can.. less time at the venue with everyone looking on.. that is nerve racking.. ha! i wish you all the luck. you can do it. drive careful and be safe...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%