Looking For Baker In The Nyc Area For Grooms Cake

Business By korensmommy Updated 15 Jul 2009 , 11:59am by adven68

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 1:32pm
post #1 of 13

Not sure where to post this......

I am in Louisiana now and my best friend for over 20+ years is finally getting married!!!

She is looking for someone to make a grooms cake so I thought I would ask here for bakers and/or advice on NYC bakeries (I am originally from L.I. but moved away a while ago and am out of the loop).

She is getting married at the Capitale on Bowery (zip - 10013). They are providing the wedding cake and will not let her have a tasting.
Any feedback on this venue? She is not too happy about that!

12 replies
Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 1:59pm
post #2 of 13

They won't let her have a tasting icon_eek.gif What kind of place is this? I'd be contacting the upper most management and complaining daily until a proper tasting is held or I can bring in my own cake. I just checked their website and it looks pricey, but that doesn't mean much in terms of hospitality or taste.

As for a bakery, I really can't help. I'm in NJ but I'm sure you will get lots of good referrals back from all the CC members.

Good Luck icon_biggrin.gif

korensmommy Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 2:28pm
post #3 of 13

Thanks, I thought that was a little weird not to have a tasting.....
I wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy before I told her to make some phone calls to get a tasting!

I hope there are some NYC bakers out there who can give some good referrals!

Tickled_Pink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tickled_Pink Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 2:33pm
post #4 of 13

Ive been to Capitale and I would tell your friend not to worry about the food. Its excellent. Unfortunately, its very common here in NYC not to be able to have tastings. Most places dont need to give them because their reputation preceeds them and there is usually a long line of brides willing to book without the hassel of a tasting.... as in this case. Im sure if your friend Googles around about Capitale she will be able to find out any dirt if there is any. Its a spectacular venue and Im sure her wedding will be fantastic!

Tickled_Pink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tickled_Pink Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 2:34pm
post #5 of 13

Ive been to Capitale and I would tell your friend not to worry about the food. Its excellent. Unfortunately, its very common here in NYC not to be able to have tastings. Most places dont need to give them because their reputation preceeds them and there is usually a long line of brides willing to book without the hassel of a tasting.... as in this case. Im sure if your friend Googles around about Capitale she will be able to find out any dirt if there is any. Its a spectacular venue and Im sure her wedding will be fantastic!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 2:47pm
post #6 of 13

There's always Buddy at Carlo's in NJ...........................The Cake Boss!

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 2:56pm
post #7 of 13

cutthecake: I was going to mention him too icon_biggrin.gif I know his stuff tastes great, my Mom used to work a few blocks from there (about 10 yrs ago) and her boss would take her there all the time. I'm sure the quality is just as good now as then.

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 2:57pm
post #8 of 13

The link to Buddy shop is http://www.carlosbakery.com/ He is in Hoboken, but delivery to NYC should not be an issue.... and his cakes are amazing!

korensmommy Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 5:30pm
post #9 of 13

Thanks Tickled Pink, that's good to hear.

Great idea about Buddy - any place else?

KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 5:44pm
post #10 of 13

She could also try cakesbydesign .cc (Scott Clark Wooley) on the Upper West Side at 171 West 73rd Street. He does all custom work.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 12:56am
post #11 of 13

Our very own Adven68 is in Brooklyn. icon_smile.gif

korensmommy Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 1:21am
post #12 of 13

Good to know there is someone from CC, thanks!

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 11:59am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcakes

Our very own Adven68 is in Brooklyn. icon_smile.gif

Thank you darling icon_wink.gif
I'm continuing the thread in the pm's..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%