Best Chocolate Flavor - Boxed Cake Mix?

Decorating By mistymamas Updated 15 Jul 2009 , 2:54am by LambrinieCakes

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 6:15pm
post #31 of 45

Just to let you know, if you haven't tried the DH dark chocolate fudge.. it's really chocolatly. Not as good as a scratch chocolate cake.. but it's pretty damn good. I say this because you state that before you only used German Chocolate.. which is a VERY VERY VERY light chocolate cake... it's just about the opposite of the dark chocolate fudge cake. I find german chocolate to be a lot like a boxed red velvet.. it just has a tinge of chocolate.

My favorite doctoring is to take the wasc, use the dark chocolate fudge mix by dh, subing some of the flour w/ cocoa powder, using strong coffee for the water, and instead of almond flavoring double the vanilla. Yum!

audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 6:55pm
post #32 of 45

Can you taste or smell the coffee in the cake after it is baked?

mariela_ms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariela_ms Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 7:03pm
post #33 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by soygurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiegas

My family loves the Duncan Hines Devils Food.

Yeah, that!
I always doctor it, but it's the ONLY box mix I ever use, and my doctored recipe is never as good with any other brand!

Yup! Me too! Love adding 1 box of pudding and strong brewed coffee for the water!

You can't taste or smell the coffee it just intensifies the flavor.

For a scratch chocolate cake: HErshey's PErfectly CHocolate cake. You can't go wrong with that! (its on the back of Hershey's Cocoa can!) I also add coffee to this one icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 9:01pm
post #34 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by audrey0522

Can you taste or smell the coffee in the cake after it is baked?

Not a single bit. It simply enhances the chocolate flavor. You can taste it in the batter before it is baked, but once it is baked there is NO flavor of coffee. It truly makes a world of difference.

If anyone wants to make a scratch chocolate cake (I'm a mix baker pretty much besides my chocolate, RV, and carrot cake).. you all should try the double chocolate layer cake from epicurious. It's to die for. I hated chocolate cake until I tried it. Mmmm..

LambrinieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LambrinieCakes Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:08am
post #35 of 45

Betty Crocker - Super Moist - Butter Recipe Chocolate. You add a stick of butter to the mix and it taste so yummy. I made one for work and everyone said it was the best chocolate cake ever.

elkinchahin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elkinchahin Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:47am
post #36 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by LambrinieCakes

Betty Crocker - Super Moist - Butter Recipe Chocolate. You add a stick of butter to the mix and it taste so yummy. I made one for work and everyone said it was the best chocolate cake ever.

Do you added besides the oil? and also do u added melted or just soft?

caseyhayes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caseyhayes Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 4:05am
post #37 of 45

I made a chocolate cake this weekend with the DH dark chocolate fudge cake. it had the pudding, sour cream, hershey's syrup added to a little milk for the water. It was the best chocolate cake I've ever made or tasted. The icing I used was with the dark chocolate cocoa powder. I will never make another chocolate cake! The dark chocolate helped even out the sweet.

caseyhayes Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 4:06am
post #38 of 45

I made a chocolate cake this weekend with the DH dark chocolate fudge cake. it had the pudding, sour cream, hershey's syrup added to a little milk for the water. It was the best chocolate cake I've ever made or tasted. The icing I used was with the dark chocolate cocoa powder. I will never make another chocolate cake! The dark chocolate helped even out the sweet. I add a stick of butter in place of the oil.

caseyhayes Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 4:09am
post #39 of 45

I made a chocolate cake this weekend with the DH dark chocolate fudge cake. it had the pudding, sour cream, hershey's syrup added to a little milk for the water. It was the best chocolate cake I've ever made or tasted. The icing I used was with the dark chocolate cocoa powder. I will never make another chocolate cake! The dark chocolate helped even out the sweet. I add a stick of butter in place of the oil.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 5:51pm
post #40 of 45

caseyhayes...would you share your specific amounts of added ingredients?

caseyhayes Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 9:34pm
post #41 of 45

It's the Doctored Chocolate Cake Mix that's on CC.
DH dark choc fudge cake mix
one package of large choc pudding
one cup sour cream
1/2 cup water ( I use 1/3of hershey's syrup and enough milk to make 1/2 a cup of chocolate milk)
1/2 cup of veg oil or butter
3 large eggs if using for a sheet cake, otherwise 4.

This is really thick, you'll have to spread it around. 28-35 mins at 325.

Here's my frosting.
1/2 cup of softened butter
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2/3 cup of dark cocoa powder
1/3 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt

mix butter, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt. Add milk and vanilla until consistency desired. I think when I use the dark cocoa powder with this I add a little more milk. Just a couple tsp one at a time.

Hope you enjoy this I was one that really didn't care for chocolate cake and this one has changed my mind! This recipe is also wonderful using a DH butter recipe cake mix. The frosting I use with that cake is the same but use regular cocoa powder.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 9:51pm
post #42 of 45

caseyhayes,

Thanks for posting your recipe!!!
It is going into my recipe file!

caseyhayes Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 10:00pm
post #43 of 45

You are very welcome! I made my "first for the public chocolate cake" about 2 months ago and now that's just about all anybody orders. Chocolate cakes with this kind of frosting are not as easy or as fun as buttercream to decorate with but it's REALLY good.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 10:21pm
post #44 of 45

Wow...that sounds delicious.
I've never come across that version here, so thank you very much, caseyhayes.

LambrinieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LambrinieCakes Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:54am
post #45 of 45

Hi elkinchahin,

The box shows that you'll need:
1 1/3 cups water
1 stick softened butter
3 eggs

Sorry I didn't reply quicker, but my "watch topic" got turned off somehow.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%