Fondant That Tastes Good

Baking By Dana8793 Updated 10 Jul 2009 , 2:13pm by jlynnw

sjholderman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjholderman Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 6:06am
post #31 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

you can use the glycerine in the pharmacy isle---it's way more cheaper & is food safe

Thats awesome advice! My question is, the stuff at my pharmacy says "for external use only" and doesn't say anything about being food safe. Is this still the same stuff?

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 10:10am
post #32 of 39

If the container says vegetable glycerin then it is the right stuff. Petrolium based glycerin is highly toxic, smells horrible, and you MUST have a special license to get it from a specialized supplier. It is NOT readily available to the general public. In some cases it is used as a heat transfer and maintain solution.

The glycerin found at pharmacies is strictly vegatable glycerin. It is what is used in many, many products that we use every day from make up to lotion, soaps, and food products. There are many things that we use in small amounts that would be dangerous in large amounts. The warning labels are to prevent law suits due to past goofiness of others. Just think about all of the crazy warning labels on all kinds of things. Such as not using a hair dryer in the tub. Duh. But you know someone did, so now there is a warning.

I'm not saying that a person should drink glycerin, I just think the warning labels are getting a bit too persnickety. Besides, the stuff tastes awful by itself, as does baking powder, soda, flour (which can be explosive), and raw eggs. We all know that using raw eggs isn't the best idea so we make sure they are good and then cook them.

Sorry for the rant. I've been through a lot of crap lately. I'm a little testy. Sorry again.

Michele

sjholderman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjholderman Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 3:56am
post #33 of 39

Thats ok, rant accepted and appreciated icon_smile.gif. I was kinda wonder where someone stuck that glycerin to get that "external use" warning...:S

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 4:16am
post #34 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjholderman

Thats ok, rant accepted and appreciated icon_smile.gif. I was kinda wonder where someone stuck that glycerin to get that "external use" warning...:S

I'm sure our imaginations can come up w/ a good idea. icon_lol.gif Kinda like the person who showed up to the ER w/ a coke bottle where it doesn't belong. Although I don't see a label on those!!! Could you imagine?!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 6:03am
post #35 of 39

A word of advice. Don't buy the glycerin from the suppository section of the pharmacy. icon_biggrin.gif

dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 6:14am
post #36 of 39

I haven't really liked the taste of fondant either... UNTIL I tried Michele's fondant. It does taste really good. It is not hard to make either.. I had wanted to make it for a long time and finally did a couple of months ago. I love it.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 8:58am
post #37 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

A word of advice. Don't buy the glycerin from the suppository section of the pharmacy. icon_biggrin.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif :LOL: Thanks for the good laugh! I love it!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 1:33pm
post #38 of 39

Yeah, I'll give another kudos where it is rightly due, straight to Michelle, because her fondant recipe is A#1 in my book! icon_smile.gif

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 2:13pm
post #39 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Perhaps that is why some fondant tastes so special! icon_confused.gif eeeeeeeewwwww

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%