Help Me With The Planning Of These 2 Cakes Please.

Decorating By mindy1204 Updated 8 Jul 2009 , 11:47am by maddiseeyore

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 5:55pm
post #1 of 3

I have 2 cakes due at the end of the month. They are both due the same weekend on Sat and on Sun.

Both will be tierd and serve 50 people each. I am just going to stack them with dowels in the middle. Do I need plates under them? I am thinking of 10 inch and 8 inch. Will that look ok?

They both have the same kind of flowers on them. On the shower cake it says they are out of royal but I really wanted to make them out of fondant/gumpaste. I can do royal if that would be better. Which is better royal or fondant/gumpaste? Also which cutter was used?

I was going to start working on the pieces this weekend. It is easier for me to work on them when my kids are at their dads so my time is limited. Will it be ok to make them ahead of time?

Shower cake! It will be a little different with a different topper but they like the flowers. Colors will be light pink and purple. It will have only butterflies, not ladybugs. Any other suggestions you have?

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1229546

Luau cake for my mom's 65th bday.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3054/2542333745_fd2ffe5315.jpg?v=0

The tiers on this cake look so tall. Do you think it is a 3 inch cake with 2 layers per tier? I am also going to add fondant shells to this cake my mom loves them. Not sure how they will look with the wave effect.

Thanks in advance!

2 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 11:31am
post #2 of 3

Unless you're going to be driving these across the Bonneville Salt Flats, you want to listen to this sage advice -

My niece, who I love dearly, decided to make her twin siblings grad cake. She made a 2-tier, 50 serve stack, but failed to dowel the cake, let alone center dowel it.

The venue was a park pavillion, and located at the bottom of a 55 degree hill with a sharp turn upon entry. When she arrived at the venue, the top tier collapsed onto the bottom tier.

You definitely want to dowel and center dowel.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

maddiseeyore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maddiseeyore Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 11:47am
post #3 of 3

I have stacked cakes like the one you're talking about, even 3 layers, with no seperator plates in between; but I doweled them well. Tiers are on cardboard cake circles and well doweled, plus a center dowel, and had no problems.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%