Cake Boss !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Decorating By tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Updated 9 Jul 2009 , 4:49pm by PinkZiab

tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:16pm
post #1 of 147

I understand that reality shows are sometimes pumped up with more drama than it needs to be ...
However if anyone saw last nights CAKE BOSS episode are we really to believe that the Super Sweet Sixteen cake under normal circumstances would not have had a dowel hammered down the center of it ?
This guy has been on Food Network Challenges and obviously knows his way around a kitchen ... thumbsdown.gif

146 replies
Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:22pm
post #2 of 147

I agree and why did they not use the elevator like they did for the dino cake.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:24pm
post #3 of 147

I thought the same thing. That was at least a 5 tiered cake! ....and why not use that damn elevator? I don't like that kind of staged crap. They are not the most "natural" actors around. Very tv dramatic...more so than being Italian. I'm Italian, so I get all the hollering.

Julie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julie53 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:26pm
post #4 of 147

I could not agree more... I love some of his cakes, but I can not deal with all of the drama. It could be a really good show if they would stop all of the screaming at each other. I will stick with watching Duff and the challenges for now. Buddy is a talented man and should use his energy in a more positive way.

tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:26pm
post #5 of 147

Jaimelt76 I didn't even think about that ! How right you are !!!

abra526 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abra526 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:28pm
post #6 of 147

I was thinking the exact same thing! If you are going to stage accidents like this, at least get better "actors" to make it halfway believable! It was so obvious! There is no way someone of Buddy's caliber would have ever left a center dowel out of a cake this size! I enjoy seeing the finished cakes, but i have started to fast forward thru the "drama". Thank goodness i have a DVR!

abra526 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:28pm
post #7 of 147

I was thinking the exact same thing! If you are going to stage accidents like this, at least get better "actors" to make it halfway believable! It was so obvious! There is no way someone of Buddy's caliber would have ever left a center dowel out of a cake this size! I enjoy seeing the finished cakes, but i have started to fast forward thru the "drama". Thank goodness i have a DVR!

abra526 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:29pm
post #8 of 147

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:30pm
post #9 of 147

I don't like the drama and yelling but I watch anyway.

Regarding a dowel, I don't dowel all the way from top to bottom either because I use SPS. However, that cake just flipped over and I use either royal icing or buttercream as a 'glue' and it won't flip that easy. Guess they needed to show how quickly they can make a cake.

abra526 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:30pm
post #10 of 147

tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:31pm
post #11 of 147

ddaigle I agree, a lot of "acting" and "staged" nonsense.
Pulleeze just make wonderful cakes and stop !!!

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:32pm
post #12 of 147

Massively staged! So was the Challenge where Kerry Vincent had her Birthday with the horrible modern cake. That smelled too of being staged (they probably told the challenger to be as bad as you can).

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:33pm
post #13 of 147

I did notice when they did the second cake, it showed them putting in a center dowel, but did not show it for the shopping bag on top which they put on after they doweled all the other tiers!

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:38pm
post #14 of 147

I saw the episode where two cakes in one day were delivered to the wrong event. I felt that was staged...no likely to happen twice in one day. I have not seen this show very many times, but it does seem fake and staged. I would like to see more of the cake construction and decorating and less drama.

sabre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabre Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:45pm
post #15 of 147

I, for one, LOVE Buddy. He's hilarious and he makes gorgeous cakes.

notjustcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcakes Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:51pm
post #16 of 147

I think on the two cakes in one day, what happened is the two orders got switched...which would make sense...I don't know if it's staged...I know my house is full of drama, especially when I am keyed up about something and nervous, my family follows suit....The kids get emotional, my husband starts yelling, etc...You ought to see us on Sunday morning trying to get everyone to church on time!!! LOL!!

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:52pm
post #17 of 147

Totally staged....that cake was not built right, and why, oh, why, are they not using the elevator for every cake?! Hmmm, I think I know the answer....for fake drama. The cake was not even frosted onto the board. Dumb.

The brown water: Who would use that?! Seriously, who would use that?! And if they did, would you want them in your kitchen?

The mixed up deliveries...really?

The bridezilla? I don't think so.

Mama--"no way, no how." Overacted in my opinion.

And do New Yorkers or Italians or Italian New Yorkers really say "What did YOU'S do?" I'm asking because I don't know. If they do, maybe it won't bug me so much in the future. That and FONDAWNT kind of get on my nerves!

The show drives me crazy. Why do I watch it, you ask? Because they make some darn fine cakes! And I'm a cake wench. What can I say?!

Shirlcantuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shirlcantuck Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:53pm
post #18 of 147

I love Buddy too. I think I learn more from watching his show than from Duff. At least Buddy uses actual cake. Duff is so much styrofoam and wood and etc....

I agree with the comments about the dowel and the elevator. Besides those cakes are too heavy to carry down all those stairs.

His black and white cakes were beautiful. They had to be cake dummies. I wish I could learn to make flowers like that.

Shirlcantuck Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:53pm
post #19 of 147

I love Buddy too. I think I learn more from watching his show than from Duff. At least Buddy uses actual cake. Duff is so much styrofoam and wood and etc....

I agree with the comments about the dowel and the elevator. Besides those cakes are too heavy to carry down all those stairs.

His black and white cakes were beautiful. They had to be cake dummies. I wish I could learn to make flowers like that.

tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:54pm
post #20 of 147

txnonnie
I heard that !!! That is all that I'm saying ... and please don't even get me started on the roulet table cake for the "Boss" at the "SOCIAL CLUB" !!!
Buddy acted like he'd somehow end up being "WHACKED" if the cake didn't come out perfect !!!

Do not get me wrong ... Buddy and his staff are incredibly talented ... I love a close knit family ... But stop the bad acting and just stick to making wonderful, gorgeous cakes !!! icon_sad.gif

PTBUGZY1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PTBUGZY1 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:56pm
post #21 of 147

I can't say "Cake Boss" is my fav cake show, (to much yelling and drama for me) but I do watch as I'm amazed at what they can do and I might learn something. I like "Ace of Cakes" so much better, and new episodes are airing this month I think. Amazing wedding cakes is another show I like.

chefbarbie0513 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefbarbie0513 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:58pm
post #22 of 147

I'm just glad to hear I'm not the only one thinking all of this is fake. I love the cakes. I actually learn things watching this show, unlike Ace of Cakes.

Mylittleflutterby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mylittleflutterby Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:59pm
post #23 of 147

This thread is soo funny and what I think is even more funny is that I was thinking just about the same things last night while I was watching.. If I had to hear FONDAWNT one more time I was going to pull my ears off. Don't ask me why, but it just made my skin crawl every time he said it. Of course my husband thinks that it is hilarious and says it all of the time now.

I was even saying to the TV.. use the elevator stupid! Why do you have an elevator if you aren't going to use it.

Oh well so staged, but as others have said they make great cakes and I will keep watching for that aspect.

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:59pm
post #24 of 147

Extremely staged!!! I was wondering why they didn't use the elevator too!! HELLO! That's just crazy to take the huge cake down narrow stairs when you have an elevator - who honestly would do that! And then he threw the ENTIRE bottom tier in the trash from the first cake when there was absolutely NOTHING wrong with it - if you were so crunched for time and needed to redo the ENTIRE thing wouldn't you use the any piece that was salvagable (of course nothing that fell on the floor - but this tier was untouched) He did that with another cake also - the outside wasn't right but all he had to do was peel off the fondant and start over - why waste cake or stress over baking another one when you could have easily reused the salvagable pieces.

Then I was also watching the episode with the Bridezilla, that looked staged also, When she came in and he walked out of the room and she started "decorating" the "ugly" cake to prove her point to him when they cut back to a shot of him walking back in and finding what she did and talking to her about what she did, the top of the cake (in the bottom of the screen shot) she had just ruined was completely untouched - like they took a couple of takes and then edited it together - some before the cake was completely ruined and some with it ruined and pieced the segment together.......sorry, I always look at the background and details that are in one shot from the next, that's how I can almost always tell if it's been edited to make it look worse/better then what it really was.

And the one where Stretch ( I think it was him) was delivering the Fashionista cake and the fondant fell off the back I totally do not believe it was his driving that made that happen. Even the kids said when he called Buddy - I don't think the fondant was stable/dry enough yet. Then Buddy calls him stupid or whatever and acts like nothing can be done right unless he does it so he always manages to "fix" everything and then deliver it himself so he gets all the credit!!!!

I like the show and it's entertaining but the ACTING is horrible and the yelling/drama could be brought down just a notch! icon_lol.gif

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:01pm
post #25 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirlcantuck

As much as the fake drama irritates me, I enjoy Cake Boss more than Duff for that reason....I feel like the way Duff builds cakes is out of my reach.

I really enjoy Amazing Wedding Cakes. Minimal drama, actual cakes, real customers, amazing work.

Shirlcantuck Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:02pm
post #26 of 147

I agree with you chefbarbie.

Now as for the frozen cakes. I think all of the cakes are frozen considering the way they toss them on top of other layers, they could not possibly be fresh baked or even completely thawed. I don't mind the frozen cake part because they are much easier to work with, especially when you are sculpting. I just didn't get what the big deal was with the frozen cake scene.

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:02pm
post #27 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_sopranos_ebony_girl

txnonnie
I heard that !!! That is all that I'm saying ... and please don't even get me started on the roulet table cake for the "Boss" at the "SOCIAL CLUB" !!!
Buddy was acting as if he cake didn't come out right he would somehow end up being "WHACKED" !!!

Do not get me wrong ... Buddy and his staff are incredibly talented ... I love a close knit family ... But stop the bad acting and just stick to making wonderful, gorgeous cakes !!! icon_sad.gif

I agree 1000%! That "Social Club" cake storyline was right out of The Godfather.
I'm sure I'll get flamed for this but . . . I liked Buddy better when he was just on the Cake Challenges. There's too much acting and the acting isn't good on this show. There's always some drama that seems unbelievable to me. Duff has drama sometimes too but it doesn't seem as "staged" as Buddy's. Maybe he'll get better next season but right now the Drama Llama is making me want to tune out more often than I tune in.

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:02pm
post #28 of 147

Extremely staged!!! I was wondering why they didn't use the elevator too!! HELLO! That's just crazy to take the huge cake down narrow stairs when you have an elevator - who honestly would do that! And then he threw the ENTIRE bottom tier in the trash from the first cake when there was absolutely NOTHING wrong with it - if you were so crunched for time and needed to redo the ENTIRE thing wouldn't you use the any piece that was salvagable (of course nothing that fell on the floor - but this tier was untouched) He did that with another cake also - the outside wasn't right but all he had to do was peel off the fondant and start over - why waste cake or stress over baking another one when you could have easily reused the salvagable pieces.

Then I was also watching the episode with the Bridezilla, that looked staged also, When she came in and he walked out of the room and she started "decorating" the "ugly" cake to prove her point to him when they cut back to a shot of him walking back in and finding what she did and talking to her about what she did, the top of the cake (in the bottom of the screen shot) she had just ruined was completely untouched - like they took a couple of takes and then edited it together - some before the cake was completely ruined and some with it ruined and pieced the segment together.......sorry, I always look at the background and details that are in one shot from the next, that's how I can almost always tell if it's been edited to make it look worse/better then what it really was.

And the one where Stretch ( I think it was him) was delivering the Fashionista cake and the fondant fell off the back I totally do not believe it was his driving that made that happen. Even the kids said when he called Buddy - I don't think the fondant was stable/dry enough yet. Then Buddy calls him stupid or whatever and acts like nothing can be done right unless he does it so he always manages to "fix" everything and then deliver it himself so he gets all the credit!!!!

I like the show and it's entertaining but the ACTING is horrible and the yelling/drama could be brought down just a notch! icon_lol.gif

EDIT to add- SORRY - DON'T KNOW WHY THIS POSTED TWICE!!!

Andy383240 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Andy383240 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:07pm
post #29 of 147

I saw a number of repeat episodes of "Cake Boss" shown before the new episode last night. I hadn't seen it before and wanted to find out what it was all about. My impression is that it is staged, badly. I've read a few comments that excuse the behavior of Buddy and his family, but I find them crude and abusive bordering on cruel. Who would want to work in such an environment? I won't watch it again. I so hoped to learn about cake making techniques , but all I learned was that Buddy is a jerk.

Shirlcantuck Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:07pm
post #30 of 147

Mandysue: I like to watch Amazing cakes too. I love to pick up little techniques that will hopefully help me get better and one day appear on TV. I was shocked to see two of the bakers from the firs series split and are now on thier own. (NY and LA) Can't think of their names right now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%