Cake Boss !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Decorating By tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Updated 9 Jul 2009 , 4:49pm by PinkZiab

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 3:50pm
post #61 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

The only thing I like about is that I think they actually show more details on how they make things than Ace of Cakes. On the other hand, I think they stage too much drama....alot of the accidents, like the fondant peeling off in transit or the cake falling down the stairs, was just too obviously staged...

I'm in agreement with you in that I also like that they show more cake details and they show the process of making some of the decorations, etc. and I think you're also right in that there's too much staged drama. Last night, when that cake fell off the stair railing....1) they have an elevator - why didn't they use it like they do for all the other cakes? 2) Buddy worked on that cake and he KNOWS how to dowel a cake. In fact, they showed him putting some white plastic dowels in one of the tiers and if you watch him on the cake challenges he talks about doweling cakes so they're stable. That was so obviously faked it wasn't funny. Hubs was sitting here watching and he even said, "That was faked. Did you see that one guy tip the cake over?" Then there was the show with the wacko bridezilla who ruined her white cake by taking the piping bags that just "happened" to be on a shelf right behind her and dousing her cake with colored blobs??? Come on. I've never seen those bags lying around in a heap like that in any other episode. It's totally possible these things have happened at the bakery in the past and they're re-creating them for drama, but there's so much yelling and drama within the family members I don't think we need anymore.

Now...with that said...I do enjoy the show for the cakes and I wish they'd focus more on that than the family drama and the staged stunts. icon_smile.gif

tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 3:58pm
post #62 of 147

newmansmom2004
AMEN to that !!! thumbs_up.gif

in2cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2cakes2 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 4:02pm
post #63 of 147

Sweetcravings I so agree w/ you my DH loves this show and repeats alot of the sayings too (cracking up like Beavis and Butthead icon_rolleyes.gif ). It is also one of the few shows that he sees some of the new techniques that I have learned on CC and have been trying being used by a real bakery. I was a waitress in Chicago for many years and there is a huge amount of drama in the kitchen of many restaurants where it is mainly family working, though I will concede that there does seem to be some over acting and staged stuff. I really don't care too much for CCC though I could watch geoff work all day, the guy does amazing work. And Amazing Wedding Cakes... LOVE that show!

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 4:03pm
post #64 of 147

I saw the Easter show last night...okay I have never put royal icing in the fridge. It needs to harden. The icing slide off the back of the bunny. I think they needed some drama on this.

Agree the cakes are awesome...but please...I don't even mess up that much and I am by no means even considered a professional.

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 4:05pm
post #65 of 147

Being a New Yorker and knowing bakeries even busier than this one, believe me when I tell you.........It is staged!!!! On the first episode if a worker would have ever threw a bag of sugar down on the table like that he would have had an a** whipping and would have been sent home. In Brooklyn you have to stand on line around the corner to get into this bakery thats how busy they are but you go into the kitchen and they are working not bickering and acting silly and mama doesn't go in to say no how no way when there is money making involved.

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 4:15pm
post #66 of 147

Some of you commented on your husbands watching the show....mine was watching the marathon last night and really getting in to it. As far as I'm concerned, that's the best thing about the show so far!!! Hubby is actually taking an interest in what I do! Of course, when he starts telling me "that's not how Buddy did it" we'll have a problem!

Another thing I've wondered about Cake Boss...would they really be able to churn out all those cakes if they really screw up that much? But, at the same time, how do they keep up with their business when they are filming? It's got to be hard...

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 4:19pm
post #67 of 147

The best thing I learned was the tie wrap trick on the dino cake! I've done 3D cakes almost just like that (structure wise) but started using styrofoam b/c it was hard to make the RKT stick with the royal and be reliable. TIE WRAPS!

It made it all worth the drama I had to go through to learn that. haha.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 4:20pm
post #68 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandysue

Some of you commented on your husbands watching the show....mine was watching the marathon last night and really getting in to it. As far as I'm concerned, that's the best thing about the show so far!!! Hubby is actually taking an interest in what I do! Of course, when he starts telling me "that's not how Buddy did it" we'll have a problem!

Oh yeah, I've had "That's not how Duff does it!" handed to me a few times by dear old hubby! LOL!

nicki9774 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicki9774 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 4:25pm
post #69 of 147

Tell them to leave the drama to the soap operas and we want to see cake decorating and the real stuff, we need cake, Not DRAMA!!

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 4:49pm
post #70 of 147

Last night was the first time I watched and I loved the show drama and all! I've worked with "explosive" personalities before so wasn't shocked with the screaming and bickering, you can see there is lots of love in this family, and loved being able to learn from all the details they show. The cakes are gorgeous and even the sweet sixteen disaster was entertaining.

Karenreg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karenreg Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 4:54pm
post #71 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

The only thing I like about is that I think they actually show more details on how they make things than Ace of Cakes. On the other hand, I think they stage too much drama....alot of the accidents, like the fondant peeling off in transit or the cake falling down the stairs, was just too obviously staged...

I'm in agreement with you in that I also like that they show more cake details and they show the process of making some of the decorations, etc. and I think you're also right in that there's too much staged drama. Last night, when that cake fell off the stair railing....1) they have an elevator - why didn't they use it like they do for all the other cakes? 2) Buddy worked on that cake and he KNOWS how to dowel a cake. In fact, they showed him putting some white plastic dowels in one of the tiers and if you watch him on the cake challenges he talks about doweling cakes so they're stable. That was so obviously faked it wasn't funny. Hubs was sitting here watching and he even said, "That was faked. Did you see that one guy tip the cake over?" Then there was the show with the wacko bridezilla who ruined her white cake by taking the piping bags that just "happened" to be on a shelf right behind her and dousing her cake with colored blobs??? Come on. I've never seen those bags lying around in a heap like that in any other episode. It's totally possible these things have happened at the bakery in the past and they're re-creating them for drama, but there's so much yelling and drama within the family members I don't think we need anymore.

Now...with that said...I do enjoy the show for the cakes and I wish they'd focus more on that than the family drama and the staged stunts. icon_smile.gif

I totally agree with you about the Drama!! Initially I did feel sad that he ended up dropping the cake down the stairs but then the very next cake that was made for the museum was shown transported to the lower level in the elevator . That's when I realised its all staged.Inspite of all that I guess I'll continue watching it, coz he shares details on how he goes about making the cakes unlike Duff.It helps a newbie like me to learn new techniques icon_smile.gif Also I realised that he rarely uses unedible stuff in his cakes .

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 4:55pm
post #72 of 147

I delivered a cake to a friend this weekend and he asked if I watched the cake fall. I asked him if he saw dowels in the cake like I have in his cake and he said he didn't see any. I told him if there were no dowels in the cake when he watched it again that it was a set up for television. Any decorator of his level would not have a cake like that that has no dowels in it. I love his work but they are taking the show a little far.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 5:09pm
post #73 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_sopranos_ebony_girl

ddaigle I agree, a lot of "acting" and "staged" nonsense.
Pulleeze just make wonderful cakes and stop !!!

My exact feelings! I'm nearly to the point of not watching anymore. C'mon, give us some credit for smarts!

DLo912 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DLo912 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 5:31pm
post #74 of 147

As someone who comes from a large Greek family, I can see many of the interactions are entirely real. That is pretty much EXACTLY what my family looks like when we're all together (especially the Easter episode! Classic!).

I literally cringe and yell when he says, "Fawndawnt." My husband is like, "Calm down. He can't hear you." and "You say that everytime he says it. WE KNOW!" Haha.

I know that many of the things already discussed (the bridezilla from hell, the cake falling down the stairs, etc) were probably staged, but I think that TLC feels that people like drama and they want to deliever that in addition to beautiful cakes. I don't mind it. I mean, look how we all get riled up when someone posts something about how someone made a rude comment about their cake or who tried to pay them less than was discussed or something like that. We LOVE to rant and rave and we love the drama AND we LOOOOVE cake. I think this show puts all of that together for us CC'ers and it's a wonderful thing.

mandysue Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 5:42pm
post #75 of 147

I don't really have a problem with the drama...I have a problem with the fact that I believe most of the "problems" were set up. I'm sure there's plenty to yell about without making it up!

Greeks, Italians, German, Czechs...you can find yellers everywhere you look! Just give me some content that's believable!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 5:45pm
post #76 of 147

Ok. I'm emailing Buddy...he's got some 'splaining to do, cause I thought the same thing just from seeing the teaser for "the next episode" last week. He posts in here occasionally. icon_biggrin.gif

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 5:51pm
post #77 of 147

I love watching the shows because I'm always trying to learn. Since I'm in the middle of negotiations of opening my own shop, I watch how their kitchens and tools are set up. Buddy is a fast worker and puts out amazing flowers. I even learned some tricks when they were making the 3D rhino/hippo/ something. It was cool to see how they textured and colored the skin. Amazing Wedding Cakes is my favorite though. There isn't near as much drama and I do learn alot from them. Sometimes, it's just a little technique or process that I haven't thought of. I just try to ignore the drama since drama is not my thing anyway.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 6:09pm
post #78 of 147

MandySue said: ........think Buddy is a very nice, big-hearted person, I love his family, and his business is fantastic! The cakes are really impressive and I wish them much continued success! However, I am convinced that much of the drama is staged and would enjoy the show more without it..........

I couldNOT agree with you more! icon_smile.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 6:19pm
post #79 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandysue

And do New Yorkers or Italians or Italian New Yorkers really say "What did YOU'S do?"

He's not a New Yorker, he's a New Jerseyan (as am I) and yes, some of us DO really say "yous"... it's not any more or less annoying than people in the south saying y'all. It's just a regional thing (and no, not everyone in NJ says it, but I do icon_biggrin.gif ).

KaraBeara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KaraBeara Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 6:22pm
post #80 of 147

First, I love watching the show. Like most people have said, I learn a lot just watching and I like when he gives little tips on the show.

But how come no one has mentioned the bird cake episode where two of the decorators were out in the park with a box trying to catch pigeons to put in the cake? C'mon...

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 6:24pm
post #81 of 147

Yea, that pigeon and then the ducks were beyond believeable.....Makes the staff look like boobs.

Nicol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nicol Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 6:27pm
post #82 of 147

I like reality tv sometimes, but I don't like to feel like I'm being manipulated. I think the show seems very fake. Buddy should just be himself and not try to play to the camera so much. It's very unsettling. I try to watch for the techniques and for the cake ideas. He is very talentend.

Nicol Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 6:28pm
post #83 of 147

I like reality tv sometimes, but I don't like to feel like I'm being manipulated. I think the show seems very fake. Buddy should just be himself and not try to play to the camera so much. It's very unsettling. I try to watch for the techniques and for the cake ideas. He is very talentend.

Nicol Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 6:30pm
post #84 of 147

Nicol Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 6:36pm
post #85 of 147

I try to like the show, but I find myself yelling at the tv alot. I don't like to watch reality tv that appears to be to staged and fake. I think Buddy should just be himself and not try to "make things happen".

I think the work they do is great and I like their website, but sometimes the show just gets under my skin. I try to watch it for techniques.

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 6:48pm
post #86 of 147

I watch it with the volume down while I'm surfing the net. I just watch out of the corner of my eye waiting to see the finished cakes. I love Buddy - but he's turning himself into the Jerry Springer of the cake decorating world... it's very sad.

AmyKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyKakes Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 7:03pm
post #87 of 147

did you notice how the fisherman on his "surprise" birthday boat cake that Buddy made for himself looked just like him?

mandysue Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 7:11pm
post #88 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyGanache

I watch it with the volume down while I'm surfing the net. I just watch out of the corner of my eye waiting to see the finished cakes. I love Buddy - but he's turning himself into the Jerry Springer of the cake decorating world... it's very sad.

Jerry Springer...that's funny!

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 7:12pm
post #89 of 147

I just happened upon the show last night and dh and I watched it together. Complain as we might, it's the drama, yelling, etc that gets the big attention these days. When the guys went over the rail with the cake instead of around it I thought I'd lost it and laughed at myself for reacting. Then when they whipped together a duplicate of that cake in 1.5 hrs it was just about too much. BUT the guys going out in their bakery clothes to try and capture the birds, well they had me hooked and I had to see what was next. Of course there's a certain amount of staging involved! And the guy is working with family, geesh, that can't be too easy!! LOL I'm kidding there, sort of.... It can't be just straight business on TV or it'd be boring and they wouldn't get the viewers, and the #'s is what it's all about. I'd love to have a chance to work in a bakery like Buddy's for a while. Lot's of talent to rub off on me.

As for the "fawndawnt" and the "you's guys" etc I see that as the regional venacular (sp) and think it's part of the charm of the show. If it was foul language I wouldn't watch again plain and simple, regardless of the talent. I'm in Kansas and I've had people comment on my accent. I say "what, I have an accent??" How funny!!

So, if some of yous are to annoyed by the bad acting of the non-actors or the added drama of the show then maybe yous should stop watching it cause it's probably here to stay for now.

ericaplh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaplh Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 10:23pm
post #90 of 147

I enjoy the show so that I can see the finished product and if I can pick up a trick or two along the way so be it...

IMO it is completely staged and why hasn't anyone made a comment about the episode when he made the cakes for the brides magazine....I was a tad appalled that he was filmed holding one of the anemone flowers in his mouth while he was inserting them into the cake.... Seriously??? That's not cool. If you didn't notice, feel free to go back and watch that episode in sl-mo....

I am happy to watch any and all cake shows...love to watch all designers techniques...(not the flower in the mouth thing) even if I have to listen to some yelling and incorrect grammar along the way...

That's my 2 cents...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%