Super Sized Cakes?

Business By Kitagrl Updated 9 Jul 2009 , 8:40pm by bellejoey

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:27am
post #1 of 12

Just sitting here watching Cake Boss and noticing all the huge cakes they do.

I just do this from home (licensed) and I'm wondering if I ever got a super sized cake order...would I just have to turn it down? For instance...something wider than the door...or...something too heavy for my husband and I to manage...or...? Are there ways to manage a large order if I don't have a shop and alot of workers? Anyone here do that?

Just curious!

11 replies
FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 12:21pm
post #2 of 12

Recruit family and/or friends to help lift it, but if it won't fit through the door I guess you'd be a little SOL. I am going to be sure that I have a nice wide door when I build my commercial kitchen in my garage so I can acommodate larger cakes if need be, but right now I'd have to make sure the board could fit out the door...or not take the order. I don't get requests for ginormous cakes though.

Did you see the one where the cake fell down the stairs?? OMG... my heart dropped and then the pure comedy took over. The way it totally rolled down the stairs and disintigrated.

Kitagrl Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 12

I saw it but I think they did it on purpose for the show! Did you see how easily and cleanly it just slid off the board? And why did they try taking it downstairs when the very next episode they put it on a cart and sent it down the elevator? haha. Makes for entertaining watching though!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 3:47pm
post #4 of 12

Kitagirl,
That episode with the cake falling was soooo staged for the cameras. And why on earth are they kneading color into fondant when i comes precolored in pretty much the colors they wanted anyway? I'm finding several thigns bout that show that are obviously staged for the camera.

I actually did make a cake one time where the board was too big to get through the door. We had to assemble onsite anyway, so it was only the bottom tier on the board. We just tilted it slightly and off we went.

Kitagrl Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 3:57pm
post #5 of 12

I don't even like to make cakes that are too big to fit in any of my fridges since I have four kids and prefer to keep everything locked up anyway....I suppose occasionally I will have to do something that is too large and will just have to banish the kids from the kitchen for a day and a half. haha. (Toss food out the door or something LOL)

Anyway yeah....on that cake falling bit...if you watch carefully I was even sure I caught them jerk the cake on purpose at the right time to get the thing to slide cleanly off.

And all their looks of shock are always the same. Everybody's mouth drops open in unison. haha. Sorry but that's not what I do when something bad happens.....

FromScratch Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 4:31pm
post #6 of 12

Oh see I just caught it out of the corner of my eye while I was catching up on work emails. I'll have to see if I can catch it again. I hate fake.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 6:07pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I saw it but I think they did it on purpose for the show! Did you see how easily and cleanly it just slid off the board? And why did they try taking it downstairs when the very next episode they put it on a cart and sent it down the elevator? haha. Makes for entertaining watching though!

I thought the very same things. It wasn't anchored/supported properly (no main dowel from tier to tier), it slide off way too easily (you could see Danny/Donny?? lift his side of the board) and they do have an elevator, so why carry such a big cake down the stairs? I think they used it as an opportunity to say "Hey, look how quickly we can make another cake. Aren't we wonderful!!" I prefer Ace of Cakes. Sometimes more non-cake than cake, but at least they don't scream at each other all the time.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 6:09pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I thought the very same things. It wasn't anchored/supported properly (no main dowel from tier to tier), it slide off way too easily (you could see Danny/Donny?? lift his side of the board) and they do have an elevator, so why carry such a big cake down the stairs? I think they used it as an opportunity to say "Hey, look how quickly we can make another cake. Aren't we wonderful!!" I prefer Ace of Cakes. Sometimes more non-cake than cake, but at least they don't scream at each other all the time.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 6:18pm
post #9 of 12

If you know how an Italian family behaves then the loud arguing part of the show is fairly close to the real thing.

Other than that they stage part of the show for drama.

Cake decorating is great tho.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 6:42pm
post #10 of 12

How on earth would they make those lexi! letters for the side of the cake in an hour and a half? That whole thing was totally bogus.

FromScratch Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 8:31pm
post #11 of 12

I saw it again (love DVR) and you are right... my thought was the same Leah... there's no way those letters and city sky lines would be ready in that short time... icon_rolleyes.gif

bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 8:40pm
post #12 of 12

WOW! I thought the same exact thing that Leah did! There is just no possible way! LOL!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%